Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I have to leave my house today!!!

I have to leave my house today and I don't want to. I've had emetophobia as long as I can remember but only found out what it was about a year and a half ago when it started to get pretty bad and I joined this forum. Now about a year ago I started to feel sick all the time, I've always had stomach problems, and the doctor said I had GERD, put me on a few different medicines but nothing has worked, I always feel sick and this whole experience has made my emetophobia soooo much worse. Every time I've left the house in the past year I've carried a bottle of Zofran with me 'just in case'. I started therapy in the summer (not for emetophobia, but because my school psychologist diagnosed me with depression and told my mom that therapy would help I thought I could get some help with the phobia), I only went to two sessions before my mom decided she didn't want to take me anymore. Slowly I've become more and more agoraphobic and I haven't left my house since January when my mom forced me to leave just so she could see her boyfriend. I haven't been outside of the house in over 3 months, I can't even walk to the end of the driveway without freaking out. I HAVE to go see family today and I don't think I can get out of it, I am so scared, yesterday I thought I'd be fine but the more I thought about it the worse I felt, I felt shaky and scared and I had trouble breathing, this morning I am almost on the verge of tears thinking about leaving in a few hours. I can't talk to my mom about it, she won't understand, or worse she'll make fun of me. She hasn't even noticed how long it's been since I left the house, and doesn't seem to care, (I'm in school online so I really have no reason to go anywhere). I just don't know what to do PLEASE HELP, any advice to make it easier would be soooo appreciated. Thank you, so much.

Default Re: I have to leave my house today!!!

just take one step at a time. I imagine you will go somewhere for the easter sunday that you can hole up in. Just imagine you are running from one home to another...at the next place you can surely find a quiet room or sofa or chair that you can hunker down in. the car is just an extension of your home, totally safe.

I recommend watching my favorite movie of all time --- "what about bob"...deals a lot with OCD, anxiety and agoraphobia.

once you do this today you are going to be so so so so so proud of yourself and we'll all be proud of you too! take a bottle of water and sip it when you feel anxious take a book maybe and your phone to take your mind off things and don't think about the fact you haven't left the house in so long just do it as though you go out everyday! you CAN do this and by tonight you'll have done it and be in your own bed and you'll be so proud, have a good time with your family xxx

Mdgirl, again you nailed it. J.n, when it comes to things like this, you just need, as Mdgirl said, to find yourself a comfort spot in the house you're going to. You will do this and you will feel stronger for it. We're here if you need to talk. X

awwww thanks mamafear!!!! I just try to imagine myself feeling this way

jn I really hope you made it out! we know you can do this!!!

Thank you guys so much for the support. Unfortunately I was unable to go through with it and did not make it out of the house that day. It did, however, give me a chance to actually talk with my mom and she's really trying to get me actual help now, which I am sooo ready for.

Hello j.n! What you described sounds exactly like I was! Over the summer holidays a few years ago I literally lived inside. I didn't get out once. I was so nervous to leave the house, even for a few minutes!
    But, I had to return to school and was forced to get out. It was literally the best thing that happened to me. I now go to school, go to the movies, drive to big cities and am even finding I can walk down our open paddock a little way! And, am joining a local theatre group to finally pursue my dream acting job!

A therapist is probably going to get you to do exposure therapy. Where you have to face your fear and are given ways to conquer it. Remember, courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of fear. If you wanted, I could give you some tips or something? I've been doing exposure therapy for a while now and it's worked wonders for all my phobias. If you had any questions I'd be happy to answer if you just wanted to shoot me a message. Or we can just talk about stuff if you like.

I honestly know how you feel dear. And it makes me sad that there is someone else out there who feels the same way I did. I wouldn't wish these feeling on my worst enemy. So again, if you want to talk I am here! I would also recommend going outside. Even if it's for 20 seconds to walk down your driveway or something. Once you get confident enough doing 20 seconds you can increase the time/distance at your own pace. That way you can reclaim your life and not let anxiety win anymore.

Good luck dear! And don't remember we are here for you!
    Please visit my progress blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wanting to help others. Please spread the word!

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    "To thine self be true, then it must follow, as the night the day, that thou canst not then be false to any man."
    "The empty vessel makes the loudest sound."
    - William Shakespeare