Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Dirty Dishes? Advice/Reassurance Needed Please!

Hi everyone, I have a potentially silly question...I ran the dishwasher this morning, pulled some of the dishes out, and made lunch for my boyfriend. I had a little bit of the food as well. Then I looked at the machine and noticed that the little door where the detergent goes was still shut, meaning it didn't get to the dishes. I immediately threw everything back in there and re-started the load.

Could we get sick from using the dirty flatware and plates? The dirty pots and plates only had cooked food (no raw meat). They were from our dinner last night though! Would the heat and steam from the water have killed any bacteria?

Default Re: Dirty Dishes? Advice/Reassurance Needed Please!

steam and water would have done it. I panic about the dw too and actually have recently given up and only do paper/plastic now. But unless it was raw meat/chicken, you are fine.

There was some flatware and a plate used for cooked steak, but no raw meat. I am so OCD about my dishwasher. Sometimes I run the same dishes through 2-3 times because I can't remember if I've run them through or not. I like the dishes to still be hot from the steam when I put them away.

mdgirl1977- it sounds like you are very hygienic comes to food safety. Do you follow a special diet (i.e., vegetarian/vegan/allergen free) as well, or are you just careful with food preparation? Eating off of paper plates means you probably don't need to use a dirty sponge too often!

You will be fine, that happened twice to us and once, I forgot to do the dinner wash and son grabbed and used plate used previous evening for raw chicken stir fry and ate cereal from it!. He was, miraculously, fine.

vegan. no sponges. my OCD makes it impossible to tackle washing. I literally waste so much money by throwing away sponges after each use that it seemed easier to use disposable!! it's terrible. I don't have raw meat or anything in my house. I get Tyson nuggets for my son. lots if grilled cheese and nuggets and stuff. easy to make, low fp risk. my son likes the food and I eat pretty basic things.

You will be fine. I have accidentally eaten from dishes that hadn't washed, and was fine. Gross, but nothing happened to me or my roommates.