Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Telling my mum?

Default Telling my mum?

Hey guys rescently my phobia is a lot worse than usual, and im finding it hard to leave the house, which makes my mum annoyed at me because she thinks im really lazy and doesnt relly understand this phobia, how can I explain it to her or help her understand a bit more about it?
    Thanks

Default Re: Telling my mum?

I had the same type of situation with my husband, he would get so annoyed that I never wanted to go any where and I would get so anxious when we would go out! I felt so bad all the time because I felt alone in my own world stuck with this panic and phobia! It was aweful. Finally I sat down and told him what I go thru on a daily basis and that he made me feel isolated. After that conversation that we had he finally understood how hard it was for me to just leave yhe house! Now all these years later when he see's me start to get anxious or nauseous he automatically starts talking me out of it, he distracts me from it! My husband is now my biggest support! He just gets it now! I think you should just seriously talk to your mom and let her in on your fear. As your mom she will hopefully understand it better and maybe even try to help u thru it! (Like my husband does for me) Good luck! :-)

Default Re: Telling my mum?

These past 2 weeks have been horrible for me, I still don't know what is wrong with me because I'm nauseaus every day and I maybe have acid reflux, but it happens a few times a day so I take some medication..my mom doesn't really know about my emetophobia, but I told her about my nausea (because I am rarely n* usually, even though I'm emetophobic) and how I think it is something weird, maybe just in my head or sth..and she is so supportive! She is sad because this is happening, but we do believe in God so we pray every day now. I had school phobia 10 years ago so I told her I'm afraid this is back now. And if you think your mom will be supportive, tell her. I want to tell her about my phobia, but I'm afraid.. it's ok for now that she knows that sth is wrong with me because I'm nauseaus often these days. But she sees I don't handle it very well and thinks why am I so afraid of nausea.