Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Being Paranoid again...help?

Today I picked some things up from the grocery store on my way home. I had been using zylast hand sanitizer all day, but still touching potentially gross things (tabletops, my computer, phone, my debit card, etc). Anyway, I got home and washed my hands, but I don't think I washed them long enough (probably closer to 10-12 seconds before rinsing, I usually count but this time I zoned out) and I opened up one of the bags and ate a chip with my hand.

I feel so stupid because now I'm going to obsess about any germs I might have swallowed for the next 2-3 days. Am I being ridiculous, or should I legitimately be concerned? I can't stop fixating on this!
    Last edited by kitbuddy; 04-22-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Default Re: Being Paranoid again...help?

You have no reason to worry. I know people who work in hospitals, who barely spend 5 seconds washing their hands, and they don't get sick. So you're totally fine. Washing for 15 seconds is to remove pathogens if you've been exposed straight up to contaminated body fluids. Also, if you wash your hands the moment you get home, your computer and tabletops won't be contaminated with anything. Relax, you're fine, eat those chips.

I am not scared of v*ing myself so I can tell you that I touch waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more things than you've listed in an average day without washing my hands and I haven't been sick in YEARS! Seriously, the only time I've been ill in the last 20 years was when I was around sick people and didn't wash my hands. You're FINE. I promise!

you are fine. you washed. you used soap. you are all good enjoy those chips.