Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy My mum doesn't understand?

Hi there, I've been suffering with emetophobia almost all my life, I am 14 now and the oldest signs of the phobia were apparent at 4, so I assume this is when it started. My mum has known I have always had this fear, although lately it has gotten a lot worse, and I've begun to get very bad dry skin on my hands to the point where there are cuts that bleed due to over-washing my hands constantly. I can't help it, I have to make my anxiety going away by being extra clean - although she says it's all for attention and that if I wanted to, I could just stop the phobia. I am due for a consultation for therapy in a couple of weeks, so she knows it's a real phobia, she just acts as if I do it for attention. What can I do?

Default Re: My mum doesn't understand?

Well, some people can control or get over the phobia by themselves, that's true. But not everyone can, and it depends on a lot of other factors. Having underlying issues such as OCD, depression, anxiety disorders can definitely make it impossible for someone to "get over the phobia" by themselves without any outside help (be it therapy or medication). There's not much you can do except go to the therapy appointment, and then ask your therapist to talk to you mom after a few sessions when they have assessed your situation properly.