Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Younger or older?

It seems that a lot of people have had this phobia from childhood, and it's more uncommon to get it later. When did your phobia begin?
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Default Re: Younger or older?

I estimate it started around 8 or 9 for me. I honestly have no idea what triggered it.

Age 4, maybe earlier, but that's as far back as my memories go and the phobia was there from those first memories. I don't know like without this phobia, but I am determined to find out.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Mine started at 7/8 and lasted till I was about 12/13, it went away or at least was just about non existent until about a year and a half ago and I am now 23 almost 24.

My Emetophobia started when I was 4 years old. (2003)
    Last edited by khernández99; 08-31-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I became emet when I was 10 years old.
    I am 13 now and still have it :/
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

My phobia started when I was nine years old, went into a "remission" period from ages 14-late 19, and last October I became severely emetophobic again. This time, at least, I know what caused it to spark back up, but I don't think I'll ever know what caused me to have it in the first place.
    Last edited by yourjedi; 04-30-2014 at 07:54 PM.

I have never liked to v* and have always panicked when I felt sick or if someone else was v* however it was never at an extremely level until about two winters ago when I was 25, I suddenly just thought I haven't had a SV since I was a little kid, I must be doomed to catch one.

I first v when I was about 10. Family was visiting. My mom told me to go to bed and rest and then she dragged me to museums in DC even though I was sick. No one even got me a glass of water. Then it was in remission until I was 13 and overseas. Same thing. Got sick. Neither parent cared. We had company over. I rmember going to bed and crying because no one cared. Went to college and although I went to parties and bars, and even bartended, I never drank because I was so scared of v. I got FP or something, maybe a regular SV from ice or a dirty plate about 10 years ago. Never got better.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    I first v when I was about 10. Family was visiting. My mom told me to go to bed and rest and then she dragged me to museums in DC even though I was sick. No one even got me a glass of water. Then it was in remission until I was 13 and overseas. Same thing. Got sick. Neither parent cared. We had company over. I rmember going to bed and crying because no one cared. Went to college and although I went to parties and bars, and even bartended, I never drank because I was so scared of v. I got FP or something, maybe a regular SV from ice or a dirty plate about 10 years ago. Never got better.
    I cried when I read your post. You give so much support to others and it saddens me that you have memories like that! I wonder how many emets had a parent either over bearing or inattentive when faced with a sick child?. Another pattern I've noticed is that a lot of emets who've been that way from childhood went into 'remission' through their teens. I wonder if hormone surges lower anxiety levels.....
    Last edited by Mamafear; 04-30-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mamafear View Post
    I cried when I read your post. You give so much support to others and it saddens me that you have memories like that! I wonder how many emets had a parent either over bearing or inattentive when faced with a sick child?. Another pattern I've noticed is that a lot of emets who've been that way from childhood went into 'remission' through their teens. I wonder if hormone surges lower anxiety levels.....
    awww Mamafear! Thank you. I guess I am just so used to it. It's just the way I was raised. It's why I try so damn hard with my kid and with friends and on here to give so much support! And why most of my jobs have been in social services. I never want anyone to feel alone or like no one cares. it is the worst feeling in the world Thank you for caring!

I agree. Your story was very sad, given all the support you give on this site (and your son, from what I've read in your posts). Your son is lucky to have a mother like you!

I think my phobia started between ages 6-8. My anxiety goes down when it's warm out (which might explain why I get colds in the summer!), and it goes up when I hear about someone being sick or that there's an illness "going around."

I don't remember ever not being afraid, but it didn't reach phobia proportions until I was maybe... 13? I think. I had it from then, all the way until I was about 21 when my hard work finally paid off and I managed to get to a point where I don't call myself emetophobic anymore!
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have always had emet for as long as I can remember (def since small child) although I only realised there are others with it a few years ago, I always thought it was just me! It has got much worse since I have had kids as I constantly have the worry that they will be poorly!

2 years ago when I was 22... My dd had her 1st SV...its been life altering since!
    NEVER had an issue before that point, even when I had a SV

I had a briefe period from about 19-22 or 23 when my emet was at an all time low. I didn't even worry about food! And that has always been a problem for me, even as a kid, before I knew about noro food was always an issue, but for those few years I was able to go out and eat out without any worrys. I'd share drinks with everyone and not wash my hands before eating...you have no idea how much the thought of that makes me cringe now.

My phobia stated around the age of 9 after I had a sv but it was very mild, it didn't effect my everyday life, I never had panic attacks, I was always scared of v* but I hardly gave it any thought. Then Christmas 2012 after I v* my emet got really bad. I would do anything not to have this phobia it can be so crippling sometimes x
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one

Despite having wonderful and attentive parents, mine started at 10 years old after a flu in which the doc gave me meds with codeine in it. I was desperately "ill" from that and it has stayed in my mind forever more....sigh...

I've always hated feeling n*, v* etc but it didn't really phase me that much as a child, it got really bad when I was around 8-9 though, since then it's been good and bad in periods. Currently in a bad-but-getting-better-period.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

It's amazing how we go through these phases of lower anxiety, exposure, high anxiety, crazy for months, lower anxiety....sometimes I'm amazed at how daring I feel and wonder if it may be slowly disappearing then someone mentions feeling a bit peaky and BOOM!

Facebook Donna Mutch

It's amazing how we go through these phases of lower anxiety, exposure, high anxiety, crazy for months, lower anxiety....sometimes I'm amazed at how daring I feel and wonder if it may be slowly disappearing then someone mentions feeling a bit peaky and BOOM!
    Oh yea, for sure! Since we had the sv* back in September I let my guard down BIG TIME. I would eat without washing my hands, touch things in public without issue etc. Then my son wakes up Monday morning ving* and I lose all that confidence. I haven't slept well the last 2 nights just waiting for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Oh yea, for sure! Since we had the sv* back in September I let my guard down BIG TIME. I would eat without washing my hands, touch things in public without issue etc. Then my son wakes up Monday morning ving* and I lose all that confidence. I haven't slept well the last 2 nights just waiting for the rest of us.
    My heart has been with you these last few days. Damn waiting game!

Facebook Donna Mutch

My heart has been with you these last few days. Damn waiting game!
    awwh thank you!

Mine started in the fifth grade, so maybe 10 or so. Yeah, I think I was 10. I got really s* at school and had salmonella poisoning for about a week. It was miserable. Once I hit 6th grade I was fine and stayed that way until about 18 or so. I got pregnant at 20 and had violent morning sickness the entire time and that was really what launched my emetophobia into high gear. I distinctly remember when my son was an infant, maybe two months old, my mom was making dinner. My dad went outside and was gone awhile. I figured he was just out there smoking. He came back in and my mom was getting plates made up and he said, "don't make a plate for me. I just p* in the yard." I remember freaking out, worrying me and/or my son would catch something. I would later find out my dad was battling a nasty head cold and had gone outside to smoke and had a coughing fit until he gagged.

It hasn't eased up since. It's really gotten bad the past five years or so. I'm 33 now, so this has been a lengthy battle.

8 or 9 I think, I'm now 38 and my phobia has got a bit better, it was at it's worst when I was in my twenties. I have resigned myself to the fact that it's a lifelong phobia and I just deal with it.

Age 10 or 11 I think!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:

My photography Tumblr:

8 or 9. I'm 19 now.

im 31. i can't remember not being afraid. i always remember waking up in the middle of the night as a small child, like 3 or 4, and my mom telling me it was all in my head.. but it wasn't. not to mention the car rides sitting in the middle of my little bro and big sis who both got car sick EVERYEHERE we went, a lot of the time on me. i would always hum and close my eyes and ears. my dad would yell at me and call me a baby. when i didn't feel well he would make fun of me. he's still a dick. lol. maybe thats y i have always been scared. i really dunno.

Reevagee, I just want to give the 'little you' big hugs!! I can't imagine what was going through your poor wee mind, that is just so awful! I wouldn't be surprised if that precipitated your being emet now. Big hugs anyway!! xx
    Last edited by Mamafear; 05-03-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

Facebook Donna Mutch

I was between 9 and 10 and im now 36 with three kids. Having kids has helped, ive had to deal with it, but its still there when someone is sick. Now my 11 year old daughter is dealing with it. She is actually staying with my mom at night because of panic attacks because others in the house have been sick. Her panic attacks cause her to feel sick which cause my panic attacks... vicious circle.