Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: :-(

Default :-(

Guys, Gals, I am just so fed up with myself today. I was working with my father in law and just kept getting increasingly anxious. Im anxious cause I went to the Drs yesterday and Im afraid I caught something, or something will make me sick. I know its kind of a stretch but Im really worried about it. And I do probably put a huge burden on my husband always telling him I'm scared and nervous... but who else can I say it to? He kind of yelled at me like "YOU ARE FUCKING FINE" and it just upset me.... so i just feel like crap cause I know i inconvenience everyone with my phobia... its terrible. But what else can I do? I REALLY don't want to throw up, so... what other choice do I have?
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Default Re: :-(

Sounds like you are going through a really tough time I think people who don't have our phobia don't understand at all and sometimes aren't sympathetic
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

he shouldn't have shouted at you like that, everyone has there flaws and ours is one of the most awful, my mum shouts at me all the time and so does my dad it's hard because they don't understand that we tell them our problems because they're the only people we trust to talk to, I honestly believe you will be perfectly fine!! have some water and do something to distract yourself xxx

i know you guys would understand.... and I DO understand to an extent but we just need that comfort from our loved ones :-( I am in a bad place.... it sucks.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

Yeah we do, it's horrible when our families don't understand. I've told some people about my phobia before and one lady laughed and made a joke about it But I'm sure your not going to get ill xx
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one

Yeah. I called my sister once cause I was nervous and she said "oh your back on that again!" when i told her i was scared to be sick. .... so disrespectful

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

It is. It's horrible when people laugh and say nasty things. I wouldn't wish emetophobia on anyone. It's awful to have

I say that too! I would not wish this phobia on my worst enemy.... it just plain sucks!

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

I know that we shouldn't put a "burden" on our families and loved ones but I feel that when my husband and I got married, we both said "for better or for worse." I never chose to have this phobia and if I could take it away right now or have a million dollars, I'd definitely choose to take the phobia away. Mental illness, although it's an invisible illness, is still an illness just the same. I asked my husband if I were confined to a wheelchair or deaf, would he shout at me and make me feel bad? I think that was the turning point in our relationship and his understanding of what goes on inside my head. I also told him that when I'm freaking out, it's like my body sees a bear (or any other threat) but my mind rationally knows there is no bear there; that doesn't stop my body from having the fight/flight instinct. Ask your husband to do the thing that terrifies him the most and then ask him if he thinks you would be supportive in his fear or shout at him.

I'm so sorry that you're afraid but I highly doubt you will get sick. Doctors understand the spread of illnesses, so if someone V in their waiting room, they understand how to properly clean it up and I'm sure to train their staff to do the same. I'm sure you didn't put your hands in your mouth while you were there. I'd say you're safe

RIght, I agree. My husband actually IS deaf, and he wears hearing aids.. So in 40 years when they don't work anymore and he's completely deaf am i going to leave him? No way, I love him despite the fact he's an idiot sometimes. Hell yeah Id do anything to not have this phobia, take the money I don't want to suffer with this. I think it was just a moment of weakness for him.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

Quote Originally Posted by mhartse View Post
    RIght, I agree. My husband actually IS deaf, and he wears hearing aids.. So in 40 years when they don't work anymore and he's completely deaf am i going to leave him? No way, I love him despite the fact he's an idiot sometimes. Hell yeah Id do anything to not have this phobia, take the money I don't want to suffer with this. I think it was just a moment of weakness for him.
    That makes sense and emetophobia is a hard phobia to understand. It's like being afraid of burping because it really is just a bodily function. I can understand why people have a hard time understanding it and even why they lose their patience with us. I remember reading a while back about this poor woman on here whose kids were V and her husband was glaring at her and making her clean it up all alone. I think there needs to be some level of support and understanding whether they understand the phobia or not. But a moment if frustration is understandable lol

Yeah, pretty much everyone close to me is sick and tired of hearing about it. Especially my parents, now my dad only replies "you'll see in time" when I worry about possibly being sick or potentially being contaminated.... Then again, I understand their point of view. I get upset with people who are being silly about other things (phobias or not) and I snap at them sometimes because I am exasperated of hearing the same old story all the time. It's normal, people get fed up and they snap. It happens, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care. I'm sure he hates to see you suffer like this, but it does get frustrating to have someone freaking out and you know there's nothing you can do to help them.

That is the hardest park, knowing were irrational, but not being able to stop. I explain it like saying I have two brains that fight against each other. But in a scientific way, the blood goes to our irrational part of our brain, not allowing our rational part to come through, and irrational thoughts always overpower the rational ones.
    Kimberly, that is terrible. That is just plain mean... I agree there has to be some level of compassion, and yes everyone gets fed up every once and a while, but it hurt my feelings... i am over it now though.
    I agree this phobia is one of the worst, cause ya it is a body function... its just so hard, and some day just so frustrating to be myself and live with a brain that never shuts off. Id love to not think of it everyday.... i just would never wish this on anyone.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

I completely understand. When people get frustrated with me, I often reply, “Well, how do you think I feel?!” Lol. I never chose to be this way, and it isn’t something I do consciously. If we could look in the mirror and tell ourselves to stop being scared of something that isn’t scary, then none of us would be here and this website wouldn’t exist.

At the same time, I can definitely look at my loved ones and understand why they get frustrated. I think everyone is entitled to a couple “blow ups” now and then, but it shouldn’t be often. My boyfriend gets frustrated sometimes, but he always apologizes and he shows that he means it by being supportive the other ninety-nine percent of the time!

I can really say, though, that this phobia has definitely made me a more patient person with other people and their own anxieties. My boyfriend’s little sister is turning into a bit of a hypochondriac, to the point where she had to go to the ER, as she had a simple headache and convinced herself she had a brain tumor and went into a huge anxiety attack. Her mom gets frustrated (understandably) with her constant questions, “My stomach hurts, do I have appendicitis? My head hurts, do I have a brain aneurysm? My chest hurts, am I going to have a heart attack?” Her family replies with either a short-tempered “No, you’re fine, dear God!” or says, “Yes, you’re going to die,” sarcastically. But, I always pull her aside and talk to her like I would want someone to talk to me when I ask, “Am I going to throw up?” because I get it. It’s easy to look at that when you don’t have a phobia or anxiety disorder and think that’s ridiculous, but when you know what it’s like to be that scared of something, it makes you more sympathetic.

It’s actually a part of the phobia I’ve grown to really, really love.
    Last edited by yourjedi; 05-07-2014 at 05:16 AM.