Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Helppppp

Default Helppppp

Hi!
    So, I need some help...
    Like everyone on this site, I have emetophobia. I am also 30lbs underweight and want to gain at least 10 more pounds.
    The thing is gaining weight is hard for me. Not just because of my emet, but because I had some surgery when I was a baby which causes me not to be able to gain weight easily, like, at all. I was anorexic for a while for some stupid reason and now that I'm becoming more confident in myself I want to be at least 110lbs. I had that surgery that overweight people have...some gastric bypass surgery or whatever it's called.
    Also, don't suggest gaining weight by muscle...because I have muscle problems too so that's not possible...
    Any advice on how to accomplish my goal?
    Thanks!
    -Taylor

Default Re: Helppppp

hi Taylor! I'm also pretty skinny and find that if I eat clif or Luna bars as snacks, it helps. each has 250 calories. can you try to add one or two each day to your diet? also a few spoons of peanut butter provides lots of protein.

Hmmm... I might try that. My sister eats Luna bars for her sports and stuff, so I might steal a couple... Thanks!

Have you tried maybe a higher carb diet or eating more foods that have a higher calorie content. I am also trying to gain weight but mine due to my emet, my nutritionist suggested shakes/smoothies with yogurt in them and adding protein powder more for calorie content.

I dont know how exactly the surgery you had impacts the foods you can eat but maybe try this as a starting point?

Did the Dr say you needed to gain weight? Smoothie are a good way to sneak in calories and get some extra nutrients

I would recommend peanut butter as well. I'm pretty slim as well, and I eat very lightly. I try to sneak in a few spoonfuls of peanut butter (the natural kind since it's supposed to have less sugar). Sometimes I add honey to it too. I have a gluten allergy, but you could put honey and peanut butter on graham crackers or something like that.

Thanks guys! I might try that.

Well when I was gaining weight, I drank Ensure, Boost, Carnation Instant Breakfast. And I ate things with mayo, avacodo...etc. Just eat things with fats, fats, and more fats lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kittybuscus View Post
    Well when I was gaining weight, I drank Ensure, Boost, Carnation Instant Breakfast. And I ate things with mayo, avacodo...etc. Just eat things with fats, fats, and more fats lol!
    Good idea! Thanks!

I'm going through the same thing...have always been underweight and I can lose weight just by taking 2 less bites of a sandwich. It's ridiculous!! When I am anxious, I just can't eat. But I do eat 3 meals and 2 snacks most days and still barely gain anything. Anyway, I tried Ensure, extra peanut butter, nuts, mayo, cheese...I guess I just need to do more of that. But this fear prevents me from eating what I think may be too much (which is really not at ALL). Sigh...hang in there and just do the best you can. It's sooo hard, as hard as losing for most people.