Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi!

I know I was stupid not to realise the ketchup was fermenting because there's pressure building up in the bottle. (not sure if fermented is the right word but I think you get the idea).I've actually eaten it twice in the last two days. Yesterday when I opened the top some of the ketcup came pouring out with the bottle standing up and without me squeezing it. Today there was pressure coming out of it when I opened it. How likely is it that I'll get sick from this? I am feeling sick right now and I don't think it's because I know I ate the ketchup. But it could be other mental stuff because out cat was put to sleep yesterday and I've been totally upset about it. I've been trying not to cry about it too much anymore because it brings on agony so maybe this sick feeling is just suppressed feelings I don't know. But I am in panic mode already.

Could somebody please tell me ifyou think I'm safe and soon if you can cause it's 1am here and I don't know how long I'll be awake if I can go to sleep. I read on-line thatfermented foods can cause botulism and I read about the symptoms of that which, of course, include nausea and vomiting. Itsaid the symptomsstart 8 to (maybe) 36 hours after eating the contaminated food. Don't remember anymore but 8 hours was the lower time limit. It's now been a few hours since I ate. Anyway I hope somebody canrespond to me.

Tiina

Ps. We don't keep ketchup in the fridge although I know you should. Edited by: tiina

My fiance never puts ketchup in the fridge...ever, and he's never been sick from it. Needless to say I have my own ketchup.. which is kept in the fridge. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, I hope you feel better. But as for the ketchup, I would assume you will be fine
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I didn't know you could leave ketschup out.

I think you'll be fine also. Its mostly just tomato and sugar. I think. I don't know the ingredients, but I think you'll be just fine.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I've heard ketchup never spoils. It can be black (I know, gross) and still ok to eat.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

that is gross, who would eat black ketchup???

tiina, i think you will be fine. you get botulism from improperly
    canned food, like pickles or fish, not from bottled stuff. and if you
    were going to get sick fro the ketchup, you already would have been
    sick from the first time you ate it. i always figure if 24 hours have
    gone by, then i am fine! for next time, just do what tayda does, keep
    your own bottle in the fridge, then u won't be worried...

so sorry about your kitty, that is so sad!

JAMIE DAWN

Hi!

Thanks for your replies. I was fine. I think the feeling sick did come from the mental stuff. You're supposed to keep ketchup in the fridge but we never have. Even if I put my own bottle in the fridge I'm sure people wouldn't care and would use it. We'll see but I am definitelyNOT eating any of that ketchup again!

Tiina