Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been feeling very sick since 6.00pm last night. i managed to get to sleep at about 3.00am after hours of panicing and trying to distract myself without much result. I then woke up at 4.10am to hear my Mum being sick and it is now 4.40am and I am in a state again. I can't carry on like this. Everyday i am feeling sick and the panic attacks are alsting longer and longer. Nothing seems to help. My doctor will dismiss my problems and tell me to meditate or refer me to the Mental Health Team who I have seen most of and who try and look for deeper causes (childhood, family) and then discharge you if you manage more than 2 sessions without crying ("You seem to be coping better now, you don't need to see me again"). My parents have heard it all before and it's like "Your not going to be sick, you haven't been sick for 10 year" but one of these days I will be. I don't know where to turn. My boyfriend is great but I am getting worse not better and I don't know what to do.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

Hey Hale!

Im sorry things are rough for you right now. That is a frightening situacion, and it seems that those therapist people are not realizing that you have a real situacion here. Could you try talkin to your doctor about how that isn't helping you and youd like to try something more?

Thanks Galadriel. I don't know about the doctor thing. Everytime I hav been to him before he has given me a 15 minute lecture on the eastern way (family support, meditation) being so much better than the western way (therapy, medication). I just feel like i have no one to turn to. I saw a good psychologist until about a year ago bit he kept on at me for months that I didn't need to see him anymore because I wasn't crying every session, so I gave in even though my problems werecreeping back and I felt like I was starting to lose control of my life because of various things that were happening. I also came of my tablets (venlafaxine) last year and really do not want to go back on them. I feel so sick I don't know what to do.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

Hale - family support and meditation are fine, if they work for you. Sometimes we need to find someone with fewer connections to us, but who will listen to us and not try to belittle our problems. If you are not getting any support from your doctor, can you see a different one, or perhaps ask your practice nurse or practice manager if they have a list of recommended counsellors (I don't mean the local mental health team, but just a counsellor) - many GPs surgeries these days have a list. Just because you don't cry every session doesn't mean you don't need some support. I can talk about my emet without getting upset, but I still need understanding and support sometimes.

I am thinking of you.

Best wishes Jill xxx

I agree you may need to switch docs. This guy, despite his "eastern practice ways" obviously isn't helping you much at all. It sounds like a switch to someone else might help. His meditationlecturesdont seem tobe doing you much good, and these therapists who think that just cause your not crying every session that you dont need to be there....that is absolute rubbish. There are LOTS of people who very badly need help, and don't cry. Im sorry but that sounds to me like the most stupidest criteria for a therapist telling a patient whether to keep coming or not. I know I didn't cry at mine for years, and it did not mean that I did not have issues to work through.

Yeah, definately a different doctor might be helpful. He doesnt' sound very compassionate or understanding. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I know it's so hard int he middle of a very rough patch to see a light at the end of the tunnel but it is there. There is always a solution some where and switching doctors might be a step int he right direction. Good luck! Keep us posted on how you are doing!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin