Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Really really worried...HELP!

I decided to take a big step in confronting this fear. I booked a dinner cruise with my husband tonight for our anniversary.
    At the time it sounded great, but now, the morning of...the fear has taken over. What do I do??? I'm not as worried about the
    food but about the fear if the motion sickness. I've never been on a boat like this. Ive been in a canoe and thats about it. Has
    anyone ever done this? Should I take something (dramamine) beforehand? I have zofran...would that work if I did get motion
    sickness? I want to go and have fun but I am so scared. How likely is it that I would actually get sick? My friends are telling me
    I have nothing to worry about and I will be fine (of course). They say its not like we are out on the ocean in rough waters...but
    of course I am still a nervous wreck. Any advice or support would be so helpful. Thank you!

Default Re: Really really worried...HELP!

I HATE BOATS and "think" I'm super sensitive and will always get sick. I went on a dinner cruise in DC, and they go super slow, and right along the coast like so you can always see the buildings and stuff. You should be fine!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Thank you so much for your reply! I am actually doing the Spirit of Washington dinner cruise in DC! It helps to hear that I will be okay from someone who really understands what I am going through. :-) Thanks again!

Tammy

How lovely!!!!! My mother gets REALLY BAD motion sickness (once when we went on a whale cruise she was on the basement doing IT the entire time), can't do amusement park rides and has issues when flying. That being said, the dinner cruises are NO PROBLEM for her. She has a wonderful time on them! She eats, looks out at the view, etc. Michelle is right, there is no turbulence and they have the setting where it feels like you're in a car. You don't slosh back and forth. WHAT FUN! Have a great time!!!!

Well you've done better than I would've done already, as much as I would love to go on a cruise I just don't think I could bring myself to doing it! I'm pretty sure you'll be fine though, there are plenty of remedies that can help in situations like those. Really hope you enjoy yourself and have a fun time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hate boats too and get motion sickness but I am from DC and have been on that boat and you really don't feel it at all. You could take a dramamamine but I would actually recommend a non medication like sea bands. They work awesome! Happy Anniversary!

The zofran won't help with motion sickness, you're better off with dramamine or benadryl (it will make you sleepier but that stuff is wonderful for motion sickness). But like everyone else has said, I doubt you'll get any kind of motion sickness from a dinner cruise! I don't have motion sickness myself but I know people who suffer from it and did perfectly well on river cruises. Oh, and I've been out on the ocean in rough weather, on a small boat. I didn't get sick, so even that isn't a recipe for disaster!

That was the same one I went on and I had no issues!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Thanks everybody! Everything went smoothly last night! The advice from everyone helped me so much! I did not take anything because that scared me too but Im glad that I didn't because now I know it wasn't necessary. Thanks again!

Tammy