Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Where do you see yourself in 2 years?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exactly where i am now, terrified of V*!

6 17.14%
  • In therapy, getting the help i need.

1 2.86%
  • Much more productive, but still an Emet.

11 31.43%
  • Emet FREE!! :-)

17 48.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

I personally would like to believe that i'll be Emet free in 2 years, but right now i'll settle for being happier and much more productive. :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I want to be emet-free in 3 years (by the time I'm 30). I'm currently doing cbt, hypnotherapy and taking medication. I'm going to hammer this phobia on every front so that it will have no other choice but to sink back into the depths of hell, right back where it came from, lol. I'm at a point now where I am determined to beat this thing. I had a horrible time back in August, and I think hitting rock bottom really motivated me to get rid of this thing, b/c I never want to feel like that again.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Sounds like you really have you're mind made up :-) Excellent! I feel exactly like you do! And i agree about this fear coming from the depth of hell!!!!!! It's nothing but EVIL!! It does not allow us to live our lives as we should, and i strongly feel it prevents us from recieving certain blessings that God wants us to have!!

May we all be free from this living hell!!!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

i would love to be free, but i picked still emet, but more productive. I still am hoping for a cure for us that is not so drug related. I don't get the panic attacks and i do have the phobia, bad at times, and all my life, but i keep thinking that the more people know about us and the more we get news about us out there. maybe someone can solve this mystery.

i hope in 2 years we are all emet free!!!!!!!!!!
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

If I am still like this in 2 years, I might as well just snuff it! [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img] LOL!

I seriously can't take it that much longer. I definitely plan on at least having more control over this s***, but having it gone would be awesome!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Wouldn't we all like to be emet free? Think about it, a world with out being scared of v*!

Lets hope it can happen. Daily, i wake up and think that anything is possible and maybe today is the day thiswill end. Perhaps as fast as it started,it will end

I'd like to say "Emet Free" but I haven't done anything to try and get rid of it. I picked "<LABEL for=P328>Much more productive, but still an Emet" as I'll be going to University in 2 years and I will have to be much more productive to survive lol. </LABEL>
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

gubba,

as far as I know the "mystery" has been pretty much solved. Although it's not clear what specific factors cotributed to each person's phobia, the list of contributing factors is clear. There is treatment for all of them, and it's not "drug-related". I, for one, took no drugs in the treatment of my emetophobia and I am completely anxiety-free now. Although I do recommend medication for people who suffer debilitating symptoms and can't see their way out, or wish to harm themselves.

But thousands of emetophobics are treated successfully all the time.Some of them come back to visit this site, but most don't. They have successful careers, raise children and live happy lives - seldom if ever thinking about vomit.

The only "problem" is that it's not an "instant cure". Not like you can have a little out-patient surgery or take one round of antibiotics and presto, the phobia's gone. That would be nice, I suppose. But I wonder where all that anxiety would go? Hmmmm....
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage, I can say this....I am not debilatated by this phobia because I won't let myself do that. I have never taken drugs for it, and never had therapy. I go by my life saying that it is something that i have put in my head and I must deal with it. I do go to restaurants and on occasion feel ill afterwards, but it doesn't stop me. I don't like places like football games etc. because I don't love public toilets and also, I'm just not a big sports fan. Note that the public toilet thing was first. I do use public toilets in fact I did so today. i did think about if someone had V*'d in it prior to my using it, but after I washed my hands and left, I did not think about it again. I have a 3 year old son and he does V* and it is stressful, but not all consuiming like I thought it would be. I do know that V* won't kill me, and I too will survive if I do it. I just get a bit nervous about the whole thing and the unknown of when or where it may happen is my fear. I don't like knowing others to V*, but I know I encounter people daily that do, so I survive that as well.

All that said, I would love a little magic potion that would take one drop and make all the fears go away. is it a reasonable thought???NO!!!, but one that we can all hope for. If they can cure some diseases, maybe we can hope for our irrational thoughts to get some attention too.

Ya, I getcha. It WOULD be nice. Magic. Harry-Potter-style, maybe.

I wish similar magic for my kids, my workplace to run smoothly, my debt to be paidand my career to take off! lol....
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I woul dlove to say that I am going to be emet free, but who knows. Its
    worth hoping for. I hope all of us are emet free in two years, but I
    hope we still all come on here and talk! you guys are great
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

gubba, Kind of along the lines of what sage said, I don't think that the cure is medication based, but therapy based.

I want to be emet free of atleat happier and more indepepndant in 2 years by the time im at university. I want to be more independant ( feeling safe away from home and my parents) so I can cope with university and just happier in myself as I find emet life very depressing. Im glad u're all feeling so positive about the future. Its the best attitude to have.

I hope to be cured for a number of reasons. Firstly i am currently doing a biomedical science degree, i dont want to settle and be a biomed scientist, i want to be a doctor!

Secondly i want to make my boyfreind happy. We have been together for a long time and i know hes the one. He has a4 year old nephew and 1 year old niece and he is so great with them and wants kids someday. I know that if i do not get any better i will not be able to give that to him :'( I have even considered leaving him lately even though i love him more than anythingjust because i feel it kinder to let him down now then to break his heart years later.

I also want to travel. I have the chance to go study in america for a year in two years time. At the moment i am terrified of planes, boats etc.

My life goal.. haha I dont have one.

Money. I guess. Maybe I could invent a anti emetic that was safe and effective to take every day. Haha. I dont know. I need money to bail ma parents out, theyre in s***loads of debt. I dont really place any value on it for myself.. the times when Ive been happiest, really Ive been pretty poor.

But money solves everything...

With a few thousand I could support myself for a year or two without needing to rely on sick notes and doctors, and take drugs I dont want &amp;dontfeel are effectivein order to get the sick notes.

With a few hundered thousand I could buy my mom n dad a decent house somewhere n pay for a carer type person to do every outside errandfor me so I could live like a hermit...

With a few million I suppose I could buy a small world.. a huge house.. a pool, space to race cars n muck around.. a drum kit. haha. then Id never HAVE to leave the house. But having everything still wouldnt make me feel better a lot of the time..

the trouble with emet is that there is no cure to aim for. Theres no answer to make into your goal. If you already understand why youre as you are, n you cannot persuade yourself to change your chain of thought, then what else is there?