Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Would you rather know?

I'm at a point with my phobia where I'm okay (I can eat at restaurants, go to large events, etc) until I hear about someone getting sick. Even if it's on the radio, it sets off my anxiety and I start fixating on germs.

On Friday, one of my co-workers said he was getting some work done at a Starbucks and a toddler got sick all over the floor while he was there. He laughed it off, but I started thinking about how the particles could travel from the floor to his shoes to our office floor to MY shoes to the floors in my apt. I actually took my shoes off outside the apartment and lysoled the bottom. Totally not necessary, but it calmed me down.

Today, a co-worker emailed me saying she's at home because her 4-year-old son is v*ing. I haven't seen her all week (I'm traveling) but I'm fixating on what doorknobs to Lysol if she gets sick.

So, my question is, is anyone else as paranoid as I am? And would you rather know if someone is sick, or do you think you'd be less anxious if you didn't know and found out a week or two after they were sick?

Default Re: Would you rather know?

Because of the fear I want to know so I can do all my habits to avoid it. BUT because I am determined to get over this I think not knowing is actually bettter.

There have been times where I didn't find out I was "exposed" until it was too late, I ate with my hands being not washed and still never caught anything this has happened soooo many times it just kind of is like a wake up to me that all the overkill I go through is just not necessary because I didn't get sick anyways.

I am actually trying to convince myself that being overly clean puts me more at risk than being super clean. I think about it like if I am frequently exposed to things my immune system will be better at fighting them off.. and so far so good with it. I realize this isn't for everyone though.

It depends really. I like to know so I can do what I can do to avoid it but then again sometimes not knowing something = bliss. When I have been exposed and know about it. I tend to stay home, clean like crazy, wash my hands 100 times an hour and freak out.

I'd rather know, so I can take the proper precautions. I would really resent getting sick because someone didn't think it was important to mention they were contagious, and because most people are very uneducated about transmission... so if a friend with less than stellar hygiene invites me over for supper and she was sick previously, I'd like to know and postpone until later or propose to eat out somewhere instead of freaking out afterwards about an almost 100% chance of infection.

I'd rather NOT know at all. I always get really anxious so I prefer if people spare me the panic.
    I know I'm careful with the hygiene anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit me at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The worst for me is sort of knowing! Like when someone mentions feeling off or being ill in a conversation but I can't ask all the ridiculous questions I want to to determine what's caused it/ if it's contagious!

Quote Originally Posted by kam142 View Post
    The worst for me is sort of knowing! Like when someone mentions feeling off or being ill in a conversation but I can't ask all the ridiculous questions I want to to determine what's caused it/ if it's contagious!
    YES! This drives me nuts! I'm in that situation right now. My husband carpools to work with 2 other people and the other guys wife and son were sick over the weekend then he called into work yesterday and didn't show for carpool. Now I'm scared me was out sick. I want to ask him 20 questions but obviously I cannot. :/

Quote Originally Posted by kam142 View Post
    My bf wants to go running with his friend who was sick for 5 days over a week ago. I think I'm driving him crazy asking him to figure out what's wrong with him. He's says" he just said he was tired"

Id rather know, even though it sets off my anxiety horribly bad.. that way at least i know its going "around" i ask people a zillion questions when they say they feel ill, or were ill.. it drives them nuts but whatever lol
    I start freaking the hell out if i hear someone talking about it... i hate this phobia