Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Daughter pregnant

Got quite a shock today when my daughter told me she was pregnant. Once I recovered from the news I immediately made it clear that I would not be going into the delivery room with her ( shes only 6-8 wks). How pathetic am I that my first concerns were not being able to handle the v* that can occur during childbirth. Feel like such a crappy mother. I know she will have her boyfriend with her but she has also said she would like me to be there too and I just cant.

Default Re: Daughter pregnant

I was in the room when my best friend was in labor, she v* right before she started pushing. I'll admit I got a little n* hearing it and seeing it but knowing it wasn't anything contagious, I remained calm.

Leslie, that sounds scary haha is it so common to throw up while delivering?
    Claire, the good thing is that that is not contagious so I wouldn't worry to much
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

congrats on being a grandma! hey , my mom wasn't in the delivery room. no big deal. you know labor can be long so you could opt to be there for most of it but take breaks. most people dont v but if she does, it isn't contagious.

Maybe you will change your mind when the time comes. I do think it is something you dont want to miss. By the way Congrats to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wanted View Post
    Leslie, that sounds scary haha is it so common to throw up while delivering?
    Yes, it's pretty common. A lot of women v* when they are going through transition into active labor, right before pushing/delivery. Something in the hormonal change or something like that. Some women don't and some do. I've had 2 kids but I had scheduled C-sections for both so I didn't v* when having my kids. (I didn't schedule C-sections to avoid v* it was due to other health problems at the time).

I do not think it is that common. I have a mommy group of about 30 friends and I think only one TU. Many have had multiple kids too...so we are talking about 75 deliveries between that group. My mom, aunt, cousins -- none TU either. With multiple babies. Not to say it can't happen.

I was told by my OB that women are more likely to V during a c-section than with regular birth. He wasn't telling it to make me feel better either, since it was about five minutes before my emergency c-section. While they were working on it, one of the nurses said "this is the part where women normally V, let me know if you're going to." I could feel whatever they were doing up in my stomach, like right at my rib age. I have no idea nor desire to know what they were doing haha! It didn't make me N or V but I could see why women with a sensitive stomach would V.

I didnt v* during childbirth but I did think I was going to at one point and even asked for a bowl but I was able to control it somehow. However my daughter is actually quite a 'sicky' person so I think its quite likely she will v*. Anyhow I dont think Im willing to risk it. I've said I'll be outside the delivery room and I may pop in and out several times but thats all Im committing to right now. As for being a grandma I feel far too young haha

I got n during my labor because like an idiot I ignored the nurses and are half a s'mores luna bar. 21 hours of labor and 4 hours pushing....that bar was not a good idea. didn't v but whoa I felt bad during transition.

You have 8 months to prepare. Work with Thrive or your therapist or something. You can overcome this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I was nauseated but never threw up. If the time comes and she's nauseated, have her tell you when she's gonna throw up and if it makes you nervous you can leave the room while it's happening, then come right back so you don't miss anything.

I was in labor for 27 hrs with my 1st child, never felt N* at all. I was 17 , it was the worst pain ever but I didnt shed a tear, I was so excited..lol. U might change your mind by that time. Even if u dont, i dont think it'd be something your daughter would hold against you & u would get to see the baby not too long after anyway! CONGRATS GRANDMA
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

Congrats on becoming a grandma! As every one else has said you have time to prepare. Talk with your therapist on ways you can deal with it when the time comes. I have three kids and not once *v* I am usually calm if I know it's not contagious. Hang in there you can do this :-)
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

I have known A LOT of pregnant women and only one vomited during delivery BUT she vomited every day for the entire 9 months of her pregnancy too, so......

Quote Originally Posted by claire43 View Post
    Got quite a shock today when my daughter told me she was pregnant. Once I recovered from the news I immediately made it clear that I would not be going into the delivery room with her ( shes only 6-8 wks). How pathetic am I that my first concerns were not being able to handle the v* that can occur during childbirth. Feel like such a crappy mother. I know she will have her boyfriend with her but she has also said she would like me to be there too and I just cant.

Imam am starting my training in feb to become a midwife with emet!! And I will be facing this everyday... I believe you will be fine as you are her mum and also know it is not contagious. Does your daughter have emet??

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    I was told by my OB that women are more likely to V during a c-section than with regular birth. He wasn't telling it to make me feel better either, since it was about five minutes before my emergency c-section. While they were working on it, one of the nurses said "this is the part where women normally V, let me know if you're going to." I could feel whatever they were doing up in my stomach, like right at my rib age. I have no idea nor desire to know what they were doing haha! It didn't make me N or V but I could see why women with a sensitive stomach would V.
    I didn't know it was more common. Hopefully I will be recovered by the time I have a baby. Due to previous surgery down there, a c-section is most likely what I will have to have. Which I am okay with having because hey, no labor, I can deal with that. Also, with an emergency c-section I know the cut is different, vertical, while non-emergency c-sections are down with a horizontal cut. The recovery, I think, is a bit harder with the vertical and I think once you had one vertical, there's a slightly higher risk of having issues with a VBAC. I think, don't quote me on that last sentence.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I was in labor with my dd for 76 hours...yes, active hard hellish labor, i pushed for 4 hrs and ended with an emergency c section... i was never N or V'ed. They did ask me while in the OR if i needed to V and i was like....uhhh no, freaks lol
    With DS i felt soooo sick for about an hr in the beginning of my labor (we were at a Dennys and my emet was about 4 months in, plus my husband was around his family who all recently had an SV and i was TERRIFIED i was going to have an SV while giving birth and pass it to baby) so maybe thats why it was so bad? Anyway, i never V and i ended that labor with a c section as well...
    Be there for her, do not let this phobia ruin this special time. You WILL regret it.
    Congratulations ��
    Stronger than yesterday;;Weaker than tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    I didn't know it was more common. Hopefully I will be recovered by the time I have a baby. Due to previous surgery down there, a c-section is most likely what I will have to have. Which I am okay with having because hey, no labor, I can deal with that. Also, with an emergency c-section I know the cut is different, vertical, while non-emergency c-sections are down with a horizontal cut. The recovery, I think, is a bit harder with the vertical and I think once you had one vertical, there's a slightly higher risk of having issues with a VBAC. I think, don't quote me on that last sentence.
    I had an emergency c section and my cut is below bikini line and horizontal... cant even see my scars and I had 2.
    Stronger than yesterday;;Weaker than tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Abigailchamp View Post
    Imam am starting my training in feb to become a midwife with emet!! And I will be facing this everyday... I believe you will be fine as you are her mum and also know it is not contagious. Does your daughter have emet??
    No my daughter does not have emet thank God. I was very careful bringing her up not to show her how terrified I was of v*. Unfortunately she is suffering quite badly with sickness so its a good thing she doesnt have emet!

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    Yup, the only friend I have that v* during birth had a c-section.