Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help! Traveling All Week and On Edge!

I've been out of town for business all week, and it's day 3 now and it's starting to make me anxious. It's hard because I feel like I have less control when I'm not home.

1) my boss and I carpooled here together. So I'm car-less until tomorrow, so I couldn't run out and grab emergency supplies if something bad happened.
    2) I'm in a hotel room. I brought my Lysol brand III and sprayed the sink, end table, light switches, etc, but I still can't get comfortable.
    3) my company's HQ has SO MANY surfaces to touch- door handles, tables...need I go on? During lunch I washed my hands but then I needed to punch a code into a security box to get back in our meeting room. I didn't eat with my hands but I used my hands to open a water bottle. Could I have ingested anything that was? Everyone washes their hands, but not for 15-20 seconds like the CDC recommends. (I used Clorox hand sanitizer but I'm afraid it's not enough!)

Sorry for the rant. One more year until I can relax! Does anyone have any tips for staying anxiety-free while traveling?

Default Re: Help! Traveling All Week and On Edge!

ok I am going to tackle each concern:

1. if you really needed to get out, can you walk or take a bus or cab? can you ask your boss to run you over to a CVS so you can grab a few personal items after the meeting gets out today? then stock up and grab some snacks too! problem solved.
    2. you are going to be ok in the room. yeah, they can be dirty, but you cleaned stuff and just don't shove your hands in your mouth.
    3. again, don't shove your hands in your mouth. get some of those wet wipes to wipe your hands with. nothing got in your mouth from the exterior of the water bottle unless you actually shoved your fingers INTO the water. did you do that? probably not. so no worries!

I do not travel well either, to be honest. I try to bring snacks and food with me. I drove cross country from DC to CA and literally had a paper grocery bag with luna bars, peanut butter, a bunch of bananas, a loaf of bread etc. I did not even care, that bag went into the hotels and stayed next to me the entire time.

Default Re: Help! Traveling All Week and On Edge!

I'm usually better when I travel, but this week has been chaos. I started a new position at my work, bought a new car (and had to deal with all the annoying paperwork IL makes you do!), and now I'm out of town until Saturday or Sunday. I'll have my new car tomorrow so I think I'll relax a little.

Hotels always make me nervous. I know they clean, but I still like to spray down the "hot zones." Two years ago my co-worker and his wife came down with sv*s at our holiday party. I thought about how dirty that hotel room and bathroom must have been after. I doubt it was cleaned with bleach after they left!