Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help! Pregnant Wife is having panic attacks

Hi,

I am new to all this so please bare with me.

My wife is 5 weeks pregnant with our first baby and she is having sever panic attacks with her morning sickness. She has been signed off work for 2 weeks and has some anti sickness tablets but it isn't working. She says to me that she has done all the counselling and has had CBT. she also previously has had hypnotherapy but thinks it is a con. She hasn't been sick yet and since I have been with her she has never been sick, even when she had flu and food poisoning. We have tried eating dry crackers and ginger biscuits.

She is getting depressed as all she reads is that its going to get worse and she has many months of this before it gets better. I really don't know what to do. She doesn't listen to what I say which I understand, I don;t know if being the "Bad cop" and then "Good Cop" might work. I am fearful for what it is doing to both her and our baby.

Any ideas of what I can do to help her would be great as I don;t know who to turn to.

Martin

Default Re: Help! Pregnant Wife is having panic attacks

search for "pregnancy"or "morning sickness" on here. I started a great thread a few weeks ago with tips I had been sharing over the years. Other moms also added to the list. Print it out and get some of the things we mention and she should feel better. Congrats on the baby! My kid is 7 and he is awesome! Many of us emet mom's struggle, but none of us would give up our kids. Kids are amazing.

I don't have any advice cause I don't have that experience, but I hope everything will be fine!! It's really sad to read this because we can all totally relate with her :/ It's hard...so hard. I can't imagine myself being pregnant and I want kids!! I really want. And your wife is brave if she decided to have children. i hope she'll get through this without so much anxiety. I really really wish you luck stay strong, I know it's hard.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Thank you so much for that link. It's a great help and and the best thing was that morning sickness isn't a bad as a stomach bug. I don't think it's how she is feeling now that is the problem really it's the fear of what is going to happen in a couple of weeks time. It's the fear of the unknown that is getting to her I think.

Not everyone gets sick, though. I was n pretty much for 40 weeks but never v once. My mom was never really n but did v with me, although not with my brother (I was the first, so maybe she wasn't prepared). Each pregnancy is different. Just support her, get some of the things on the list I sent and encourage her to eat small things NON STOP. No getting out of bed before a few crackers and some water. That is key. It can make or break her day. Also, she needs to rest. Especially in the first trimester, you need rest. Pushing herself will only make her feel worse. So much is happening in those first 12 - 14 weeks, which is why women get n. Your body is in overdrive even though you aren't showing.

First I want to say wow what an amazing husband you are to take time to try to understand her Emet. You are doing the right thing by trying to support and reassure her. I have three kids and not once did I V. With my boys I was only nauseous for the first three months off and on. Right now she is just so anxious about the possibility of MAYBE V-ing that it is making her feel worse. Check out all those tips for pregnancy nausea. Just keep being supportive and letting her know that she is not alone. Being a mom and an Emet is hard but with people around her it will help. Hang in there it will pass and you will have a beautiful baby
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Thank you to both of you for your kind words and advice. She is much calmer now since seeing what you said. It is difficult to know what she is going through but it helps hearing from people who have similar experiences and fears as herself and survived! I know she can do it she just needs to believe she can.

Thank you again

have her join out little group! we have a lot of moms on here and sometimes it is comforting just to know you have somewhere to go to vent/ask questions. good luck!

I will try and get her on here. Your right that just not feeling alone makes things not seem so insurmountable.

Hope she is feeling better...good for you for coming on and finding out info for her. Come back anytime if you need more info...and yes, maybe she can join. Take care!!

What a great husband you are! Yes, she isn't alone at all. We've had that topic quite often here so she and you will find loads of information on here about it

Congratulations in the baby!

You are an amazing husband for sure! I am currently pregnant with my third child and had morning sickness symptoms with these last two (girls!) I know it's scary time for both of you and having this phobia makes it harder. I'm sure this is on the other page but the only thing that helped me not feel as nauseas was vitamin b-6 and a unison. Lifesaver!!!

As as for your role in this, try and be patient. That is the best and most helpful thing you can do for your wife right now, and through her pregnancy. She is going to need you in ways she probably hasn't ever before and it's going to be hard on you. But you can provide her with love and support the way no one else can. You seem to be totally supportive but make sure that you take care of you enough to replenish your patience with your wife. It's not going to be easy, even without the phobia. Some women love pregnancy and do really well with or without the support of the father but I haven't personally met any of those women.

It's wonderful that you are reaching out for your wife and child. This site is full of support for both of you and you can learn a lot about the inner-workings of an emetophobic person's mind here!