Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I've exposed myself : (

I'm really worried Yesterday I washed my hands, had a ciggie, then went to Tesco. Used the card machine to pay for food and then ate lunch (ate with a fork so not worried about that). But then I had another ciggie and realised I never sanitised my hands! I always sanitise my hands after washing them and the fact that I didn't wash them again after touching the card machine has now meant I feel like I've been exposed. I NEVER do this, I never let my guard down and I stupidly didn't think. I think it's because I've had one of the busiest weeks of my life and hadn't got to bed until almost 3am the night before. What do I do? I'm worried about doing anything this weekend now in case something happens. How long before I'm in the clear? I'm so upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: I've exposed myself : (

The odds are low. I do that all the time. I usually smoke when I drive and I've pumped gas then had one, been to the store, bank, work, you name it. I can't wash my hands after that theres no sink and I don't keep sanitizer and have never gotten sick from it.

As far as incubation period I believe for bugs it is 12-48 hours, but up to 72 at a max. I wouldn't worry too much though!

Wow you really do all those things? I think it's great you can, I really wish I could. I know you're right in some ways though, I know so many people do this all the time but it's the fact that now I've stupidly put myself at risk and now I'm paying the price with this worry. This happened about lunchtime yesterday so it's been just over 24 hours now. I have a busy weekend and back to work on Monday when I'll still be a risk and that's what worries me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by thelittlestranger View Post
    Wow you really do all those things? I think it's great you can, I really wish I could. I know you're right in some ways though, I know so many people do this all the time but it's the fact that now I've stupidly put myself at risk and now I'm paying the price with this worry. This happened about lunchtime yesterday so it's been just over 24 hours now. I have a busy weekend and back to work on Monday when I'll still be a risk and that's what worries me.
    I do them yes but thats not to say thoughts of the possibilities don't cross my mind. When I had a flare up of the phobia when I was younger I used to scrub my hands so much that the skin on my hands would be raw and they would bleed at times so I kind of relaxed since then. I tell myself that if I wash my hands excessively then I won't expose myself to anything and if at a time I am truely exposed my body won't be able to fight off whatever germ gets in, because I have not been exposed to anything. That is probably not as true as I lead myself to believe but it helps me to live a more "normal" life than I previously did. I also find that when I am over doing it with hygiene I seem to catch every single cold/sinus/chest issue that is going around, probably coincidence but it helps me stay rational. It took some time to get to this point.

I truly believe that if you can find little ways to push the boundaries of your comfort level when you can it helps a ton in the long run and eventually it won't worry you so much when something like this does happen. I never would have believed someone who told me that a year ago because I was in bad shape but doing that helped me get where I am now.

As far as a risk goes I would say by Monday when you go back to work you are clear, I have seen many people say that the norm is within 36 hours. CDC says 12-48 if I am not mistaken so if you are already at 24 you only have about 24 more to go. From experience though I think there is very slim chance you will get sick. I did much worse through the winter and with bugs going around the preschool I work at and was absolutely fine. Try to enjoy your weekend!!

I always touch card machines and do other stuff before I eat, I can't always clean my hands after doing everything , and I've been ok
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I have never sanitized or washed hands before smoking and I smoked two packs a day for 15 years! quit before I had my son, but I can honestly say I never once thought about it in terms of emet. eating and drinking, yes. the cig itself is more likely to kill you than any exposure so you are fine

You've just lived like a normal person. Most other people I know go about their business through the day, touching keypads, pens, cart handles, doors etc with their bare hands and don't wash their hands before touching their face or eating. You most likely won't get sick. My boyfriend smokes (I hate it) and touches everything with his hands and doesn't wash them first and he's not gotten sick in the 3 years we've been together. Seriously, you really aren't going to get sick from that.