Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Opinions on anti-emetics?

Hi, I'm new here...in the early stages of getting better (that is to say, I am still an absolute wreck).

I think ALL DAY, "what if I vomit?" and I think about it so much that it makes me nauseated. I look up all sorts of herbal stuff (cos my mom won't let me get anti-emetics), but I'm about at the age that I can start going to my own doctor, and the thought of having a supply of antiemetics makes me really happy, like I can relax. So I was wondering what you guys thought about them, and what brands you recommend.

Default Re: Opinions on anti-emetics?

Everybody here talks about Zofran, honestly I'd never even heard of the stuff until I joined this forum. But it seems to work for a lot of people even if it's more of just a mental calming effect. I think its prescription only.

I've never taken any anti emetics but I know many who have. The problem I have with them is that as Emetophobes, 9 times out of 10 your nausea is more of a mental thing than an actual illness such as food poisoning, stomach virus, etc. I don't think it's healthy, mentally, to take a pill every time you're feeling off. I see it as just giving into your fear and enabling it. There's no room to get better when you constantly rely on a drug. I do have to say that I am a bit biased since I avoid medication unless it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise, I use natural and herbal remedies.

I would suggest sticking to that. Peppermint and ginger teas are wonderful, as are anything containing those two ingredients as they are good for your stomach. Just make sure it's real peppermint or ginger and not just flavoring. Also, look into nausea acupressure points, breathing and relaxation techniques. When you are scared and feeling sick, watch a movie, read a magazine, play online games, do a word find or crossword puzzle. Pills should be a last resort. Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Let's freak out together. My Skype is always available to those who need someone to talk to! My username is SnugglePuff78.

As far as prescription goes i get the generic of zofran (Ondansetron)sp? .. Thats the one that works best for me. Before my phobia flared up again I had it for nausea from my gallbladder and gastritis. I still have it and at times take it for nausea from anxiety or gallbladder. Works quickly, only downside is if I don;t eat and drink enough I get a horrible headache, and besides that it can cause horrible constipation. Im guessing if you only take it every now and then the constipation wouldn't be that bad if it was even a side effect at all.

Thank you! I'm such a germophobe when I cook, I always thought I'd take tigan, because it can specifically help gastroenteritis. I always start off with ginger or peppermint because I always get nauseated when I am anxious, which is often and for that nausea it works...

If I may ask, how long has it been since you last v* (sorry, I didn't know to blur that out earlier!)? Thanks!

I use them but I would recommend talking with your Dr before going on any meds
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Certainly! How well do they work for you, and what kind do you take (if you don't mind my asking)?

I take 1/2 a child's dose of generic zofran if needed.. But it can cause terrible constipation.. so I use it sparingly. I have found that if I feel bad anywhere I interpret it as nausea. Trying really hard to work on that, still have a ways to go. I love love love coffee but the caffeine can really trigger the anxiety and nausea. You are so young, have you tried CBT? You can get home study programs online, I did this years ago and it really helped, the phobia and anxiety even went away for several years after I went through the program but has recently come back, but I'm coming out of it again! You can beat this!

I have promethazane although I rarely take it because of how groggy it makes me. Also, I've had stomach problems for about 10 years now and know the difference between my normal n* which is an annoyance but rarely to the point that I'm scares I may actually v*. Most of the time I just drink mint tea or gingerale. I don't see a problem having them on hand but I wouldn't reccomened popping one everytime you feel a slight discomfort, as someone else said most of the time it's just anxiety and its good to be able to tell the difference

I've got a whole box of prescription anti emetics called cyclizine hydrochloride. I only take them when I really need them. I try not to make a habit of taking them. I also carry some in my bag just in case

I have a thread about them. Natural, OTC and RX.
    http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...ics&highlight=

I'm going to the doc tomorrow (i hope) for some other stuff and i'm gonna ask for anti-emetics.

I am against the use of anti-emetics unless there is a diagnosed issue or in cases of dire need. By that I mean, they are ok to have on hand for someone who knows themselves and their body well enough to differentiate between anxiety attacks and real nausea that will lead to v*. I'm by no means perfect, I did take anti-emetics for no good reason before because I was panicking. But I only do that once in a blue moon, and the ones I do take more often (domperidone) are prescribed for real medical issues (migraines and gastroparesis). But they are dangerous medications and shouldn't be taken for no reason, and to "calm down" is not a good reason. There are people who take huge doses of anti-emetics daily just because they are afraid of potentially being nauseous, and they cause severe harm to their body. Getting a prescription or even just OTC anti-emetics is a crutch, and it is a dangerous road for some, it can lead to addiction and/or abuse for a lot of emets who aren't recovered enough. Stick to ginger and other herbal remedies (mallow and licorice soothe the stomach too), it is much safer and it will help you to deal with the anxiety instead of hiding behind a crutch.

I ran out of my anxiety meds a year or so ago, and started taking Bonine, figuring if I could stop the nausea and dizziness, the anxiety attack will still end faster. It definitely has become a crutch. At first my doc was pysched - he thinks that's better for my liver and all than the Tranxene. (Which I only take as needed). He'd write me a script for Antivert, which is the same drug just not OTC. I ended up buying boxes of Bonine in bulk from Amazon and I take one almost every day now. . Knowing it's a problem, I got a new script for my Tranxene again, and am trying to ween myself off of the Bonine. It sucks because that also helps with the dizziness I get often.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly91 View Post
    I've got a whole box of prescription anti emetics called cyclizine hydrochloride. I only take them when I really need them. I try not to make a habit of taking them. I also carry some in my bag just in case
    I have diagnosed GI motility issues and take cyclizine daily (but still get breakthrough nausea a few times a week, although I'm finally beginning to get it under control with nortriptyline, which has been like a miracle drug for me). My understanding is that cyclizine is one of the safer antiemetics for long-term use since chemically it's essentially just an antihistamine which are pretty safe even when used very regularly. I have never been offered Zofran even when I was untreated and was so nauseous I was unable to drink water for several days at a time - in the UK I think it's pretty much exclusively reserved for chemotherapy nausea.

For what it's worth using any antiemetic long term is safer and less likely to result in dependency than using a benzodiazepine long term. Unfortunately I don't find they tend to relieve my anxiety - I still get breakthrough nausea as I said and even when I'm not nauseous I'm still having intrusive thoughts anyway. I might be a bit of a funny case though given a) I have physical stuff going on and b) I think I may be more on the OCD side than the pure phobia side anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by happywithoutyou View Post
    I have diagnosed GI motility issues and take cyclizine daily (but still get breakthrough nausea a few times a week, although I'm finally beginning to get it under control with nortriptyline, which has been like a miracle drug for me). My understanding is that cyclizine is one of the safer antiemetics for long-term use since chemically it's essentially just an antihistamine which are pretty safe even when used very regularly. I have never been offered Zofran even when I was untreated and was so nauseous I was unable to drink water for several days at a time - in the UK I think it's pretty much exclusively reserved for chemotherapy nausea.

For what it's worth using any antiemetic long term is safer and less likely to result in dependency than using a benzodiazepine long term. Unfortunately I don't find they tend to relieve my anxiety - I still get breakthrough nausea as I said and even when I'm not nauseous I'm still having intrusive thoughts anyway. I might be a bit of a funny case though given a) I have physical stuff going on and b) I think I may be more on the OCD side than the pure phobia side anyway.
    I've noticed that since my emet has been bad, the last two years, I've developed OCD too.

I did not read all of the replies.

Anti-emetics imo are not needed unless you have cancer, certain health conditions, or dehydrated. For a lot of emets they become a crutch. The run and pop a pill every time they are convinced it is real n. Most of the time it is anxiety. They can cause side effects if abused too.

Anti-emetics also do not deal with the feelings that cause emet. They are a band aid.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Cynna; 06-20-2014 at 09:51 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    I did not read all of the replies.

Anti-emetics imo are not needed unless you have cancer, certain health conditions, or dehydrated. For a lot of emets they become a crutch. The run and pop a pill every time they are convinced it is real n. Most of the time it is anxiety. They can cause side effects if abused too.
    I mean, yes, this is absolutely true, but if it's a choice between taking an anti-emetic or a benzodiazepine long-term the anti-emetic is safer (though how much safer depends on the anti-emetic in question - Zofran, which a lot of people here seem to use, is not the safest option long-term). Lots of drugs can become a crutch for all kinds of psychological conditions; I would assume the ideal is ultimately that everyone who suffers from this seeks cognitive therapy and works on overcoming this for good but in practical terms, in the short-term you gotta do what you gotta do to function. Everything someone does to survive with emetophobia day-to-day is ultimately a band-aid, short of targeted therapy.

(I say this as someone who has gastroparesis and has used cyclizine long-term in order to be able to get out of bed/eat/drink/hold down a job - it doesn't alleviate my anxiety at all, but I know some people feel differently. I have also taken benzos long-term in the past which were much more of a 'crutch' for me. Your mileage may vary!)