Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Brand New... This is ruining my life :/

Hi all... Stumbled across this site while looking for distractions. My boyfriend (who I live with) started v-ing about 3 hours ago. I'm really scared it's food poisoning. We were together all day and ate all the same things. We went to a BBQ and had chicken and burgers (I'm a super anal food inspector so I'm 99% sure they were cooked correctly,) and went to the fair and had some fair food and went on a few rides. Got home, went to bed, and within the hour he was launching himself out of bed and into the bathroom. I barely had time to cover my ears. I grabbed a blanket and went out to the couch where I've been ever since. I refuse to go back into bed. I don't want to hear if he does it again and I also don't want to sleep with him in case he has a sv. The only other thing it could be is just from drinking. He's done this before after drinking steadily all day and eating crappy food. But you never know. So I'm laying here by myself trying not to pay attention to everything my stomach is doing.

Ive had had this anxiety for months, ever since I got the norovirus in December. Same thing happened when I was 14 and got an sv. For about a year or two I was constantly seeing where I could run to if I suddenly had to V. Every noise or movement in my stomach was certainly the onset of v-ing and no one could tell me any different. I never sought help for it but it eventually went away. Now it's back and I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to go to a birthday party for my step brother in the morning but I won't be able to go. I'll be worried I caught an sv and will start showing symptoms. This happens every time I hear about someone who knows someone who has gotten sick. I hole myself up with my soap and band sanitizer until 72 hours has passed. I'm missing out on life and I can't do it anymore. I'm worried my boyfriend will break up with me because of my anxiety. My friends have already stopped inviting me to things because they know I will say no. And I say no because of occasions like today... I just need someone to talk to who can relate. And maybe give tips if there's anything they've found that helps.

Default Re: Brand New... This is ruining my life :/

How is your bf now? I hope it's not sv or fp.
    I found you brave because I don't know how will I be able to even have a bf and live with him. Constantly worrying that he has a sv.. that sucks! But you're definitely not alone. I am planning to get some help this year (I'm going to university) and I hope I can find the right help here.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Hi welcome to this group. This is a great place to get information as well as finding people like you. I am sorry your boyfriend is sick. It sounds like the combo of food plus drinking didn't sit well. With this fear at least for me it ebbs and flows. I can go for long periods of time not really anxious. I just started counseling and some meds to help try to get my life back. If you can I would recommend getting some counseling. I am so sorry about your friends. It isn't good to suffer through this alone. I did for years and I became so isolated and depressed I tried to kill myself. When things are calm down maybe it will be good to sit down with your boyfriend and explain your phobia to him. There is a FAQ page on here that helps explain to our loved ones what emetophobia is. Hang in there we are here for you
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

hi and welcome! many of us have similiar triggers from childhood and also suffer socially due to it. i am a mom so I force myself to do something's but otherwise have no life. no dating. no boyfriend. I hide when my son isn't here. shame because I am smart and pretty and should have a damn life.

if you feel like staying home is best do it but I think going to the party would be a good distraction. there will be bathrooms. you can just eat lightly. and I do agree that it sounds more like he drank/ate/played at the fair too much and overdid it.

Men, when they v* it sounds aweful, I've accused my hubby of being loud just to make me miserable, lol!! He doesn't have a problem being sick at all, and I am a mess when he is. Your bf probably just drank too much!! Hang in there, you're stronger than you think you are. I went through Attacking anxiety and Depression program several years ago and it really, really helped me. You can find it on e-bay, it's well worth it. You are young and strong and can get past this! Also look up relaxation by Lucinda Bassett on you tube, I love to listen to this when I am freaked out... Really helps. Don't stop living because of this.. it does get easier, push yourself to go out a little past your comfort zone, you'll feel better when you do, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by wanted View Post
    How is your bf now? I hope it's not sv or fp.
    I found you brave because I don't know how will I be able to even have a bf and live with him. Constantly worrying that he has a sv.. that sucks! But you're definitely not alone. I am planning to get some help this year (I'm going to university) and I hope I can find the right help here.
    He's doing fine. He feels normal so he's pretty sure it was just the alcohol and greasy food. It still baffles me how some people can just get sick and it's a totally normal thing and they're totally fine afterwards. He somewhat understands, or at least tries to. He's never had any anxiety/psychological disorders himself though so it's difficult for him. Thank you everyone for replying, it's so nice to not feel alone in my struggles. I'm going to the party right now, I'm tired of bailing on everyone and not being able to enjoy my life. Of course I feel nauseous right now and have the window down in the car, just in case, but I'm working through it.

He probably just had too much going on -- the food, drinks, rides, greasy fair food. I try to limit myself to only one of those at a time