Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default New here, feel like I'm about to have a meltdown...

Hey everyone. This is my first time here, I found this while I was researching for forums after I had a terrifying incident tonight....

We were out for my fiancé's birthday. We went to this great restaurant that specializes in craft beers. Everyone else but me ordered this sampler of beers (I was driving) and I was taking a couple of sips of my friends' beers just to taste each one. I don't normally do this - my emetophobia was paralysing for years. With the love and support of my amazing fiancé, I have actually been so much better and I guess that's why I let my guard down. So back to what happened... like I said I had taken sips of beer from different people's cups. Very shortly after we finished eating, my friend who had been sitting directly across from me got up and excused herself to the bathroom. After not coming back for some time we started to get worried... then she came back and announced that she had just v'd in the bathroom. I felt all the blood drain from my face. I wanted to cry. I hated myself for being so stupid that I would actually drink from my friend's drink! My stomach is still turning from this. I had to drive us all back to our house since I was the DD. The whole drive home I could see her face in the rearview mirror. As soon as I parked the car in the driveway she opened her door and ran out and doubled over - thankfully this time she didn't v though. I'm absolutely freaking out thinking I have exposed myself to this. I haven't felt this level of anxiety in a very long time. I'm trying not to bring it up to my fiancé since it's his birthday and I just want him to have a nice evening.

Thanks to anyone reading this. This community looks very supportive, and I hope I can make some friends here!

Default Re: New here, feel like I'm about to have a meltdown...

you usually aren't exposed until after the person gets sick. maybe she ate something that didn't agree or the different beers were too much. it isn't always a contagious sv.

and welcome!

Thanks, I'm trying to remind myself I drank it BEFORE she got sick. I've just been doing so well lately, it's freaking me out that I feel this terrible right now. I haven't felt this anxious in a very long time.

Welcome! I completely understand your anxiety but Mdgirl is right, you need not be concerned. My son kissed his girlfriend ( proper kiss) and she started V with Norovirus literally 30 seconds later and V for two days. My son never got it. You'll find the support you need here and don't fret, everyone goes through patches.
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Oh how horrible for you, but you did so well to drive everyone back. I don't know if I could have done that for fear that she'd be sick again. Don't worry about having an off moment, we all get them, just don't let it drag you down. Most of time I lead a fairly normal life, it's just when someone at work gets ill or hubby gets sick then I go into emet meltdown. You'll be fine in a couple of days, don't worry!

Hi and welcome. I understand the feeling. Like Mdgirl said there are many reasons why people V. It's not always sickness. It sounds like the combo of different beers and food didn't sit well with her. I usually only panic when my kids or hubby get sick, but I do understand how awful and terrifying this phobia can be. Hang in there you are in the right place by being in this group
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made