Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT- vacationing near a cruise port?

I am in the very early phases of planning a vacation for next year. I'd love to go on a Caribbean vacation, but the thought of going to a location that has a lot of cruise ships passing through makes me nervous. Obviously the cruise passengers are not staying at the hotels or flying on the planes, but I imagine they are going to the bars/restaurants/shops/etc and potentially leaving the virus there with them.

Does anyone have any experience traveling to a city that serves as a cruise port? I would love any feedback!

Default Re: OT- vacationing near a cruise port?

I don't have any experience but I would imagine you would be fine. Do you mean cos of noroviris on cruise ships? It's pretty unlikely to get ill on a cruise, if you think about how many people there are going on cruises it is pretty rare to hear about Noro outbreaks.

When I was 10 years old, I went on a cruise ship with my whole family. A Caribbean one, and obviously at that time I was not emet and didn't take any precautions, neither did my family. They got off at ports, and stayed on the boat, no one got sick, nor did I hear of anyone being sick.. I think you will be okay. Go on your vacation and have fun. IF some one was sick on the boat, they stay on, not get off.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

not to mention it's summer and noro outbreaks are rare in the warm months. If you ever hear about them, it's almost always in the winter months when noro hits hard like all bugs. Many cruises happen every day. You will be fine. So go and plan that vacation and have fun.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

My husband and I went on a cruise in May. I hadn't even thought about noro on the ship until a couple of days before then started freaking out. But cruise ships are so clean, it's ridiculous! There is anti bac hand gel everywhere! At the entrances to restaurants, near the bars just all around the ship. And people used it, all the time. It was probably the cleanest place to be, so I don't think you have any need to worry about being in a port that have cruise ships. Have a fantastic break!

I've been on a cruise... Was fab! And been many places where cruises stop. Never been sick x

The media totally overhype noro breakouts on cruise liners, it does happen but they blow it out of all proportion. My parents have been on many cruises and have never caught a bug. Go on holiday but take your usual precautions.