Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Having extremely severe anxiety, something happened, please please help...

I was having my boyfriend stay the night tonight, and his stomach felt a bit off all day, but nothing major. About 7-8 hours later, he started complaining about the pain making it hard to breathe, but he had no n*. At that point, I was still freaking out and I went and grabbed some fish oil tablets and miralax (for some strange reason thinking it would help him feel better), and he took them together. Minutes later, he went to the bathroom and v*d. He said he'd had no nausea beforehand, but now he feels terrible: dizzy, sweaty, shaky, and just terrible. I panicked and had him leave immediately (he's home okay, but very very dizzy). Now I'm having a very bad anxiety attack and stomach pain and I don't know what to do...I don't know if he'd had food poisoning, a stomach bug, or the combo of what I gave him caused a reaction. He hasn't been around anyone who has v*d. I'm terrified I'll get sick too and I'm afraid I'll do something I regret...

Default Re: Having extremely severe anxiety, something happened, please please help...

Why would you give him fish oil and a laxative - TOGETHER at that - if the guy's stomach was already off to begin with? That almost made me vomit just thinking about it. Obviously I don't know what's wrong with your boyfriend but to me it sounds like there's a very good chance that the only reason he vomited is because of that horrible combination on an already off stomach, especially since he didn't have any nausea beforehand. So relax, you won't get sick unless you decide to down some fish oil and chase it with a laxative. And even if he does have something, there are MANY reasons why people vomit and they're not all contagious. Even if it is contagious, doesn't mean you WILL FOR SURE get it. And you know what? Even if you do, you'll freak out, but you'll deal with it (what's the alternative?), it will run its course, and then it will stop and you will be just fine. So please, seriously, try to relax otherwise you'll make yourself feel really sick with anxiety. Try distracting yourself.
    I know how you feel . . . and I am bigger than that. ―GOD

Default Re: Having extremely severe anxiety, something happened, please please help...

Thanks for the reply - and I honestly have no idea what I was thinking with that combination either. I haven't slept in days, so my mind isn't exactly at its most rational! I'd be very relieved if I caused it while simultaneously feeling terrible that I put him through that.

Update: his stomach pain was so severe, he was taken to the hospital. They suspected he had an ulcer, but then I guess they told him it was gastritis (from what I could discern - he's hopped up on some pretty strong pain meds). From what I understand, gastritis is a blanket term. I'm unsure if this means he's contagious, and I'm starting to panic again.

It is a blanket term, i hate it. The combo you gave him was HORRIBLE lol i dont mean to laugh, but what in the world?!

You will be ok. Just keep up your hygiene and relax, you will ok. You dont have a choice!!

I'm so sorry about your boyfriend. If it's an ulcer that isn't contagious just very painful. If he had some kind of stomach virus I don't think they would give him pain meds. Hang in there you can do this
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

I agree with Psalm...stomach virus doesn't get meds. It sounds like something else. and yes, do not give a laxative and fish oil to anyone...or let them take it. friends don't let friends take laxatives and fish oil. gross.

I do not know if he is contagious or if he has something that you could get but if you are ok now, you are gonna be fine. Poor guy sounds miserable. bring him ginger ale and crackers. that is a safe combo.

My friend had to take her daughter to the hospital one night because she was having such terrible pain from some bad food. They called it gastritis too, sounds similar to what your bf was having.

It's weird, in a situation like that my first concern would be to burn down the house!!! XD
    I have a problem more with residue and dirtiness (especially in my things) than with the actual getting sick, I'm pretty confident in my selfcontrol since I rarely ever v*, so I don't really think that I'm going to be sick, I have a much bigger obsession about being in a clean environment, so if that happened to me, in my bathroom, I probably would not go there for as long as I could and then I'd spend a whole day wipping every corner with bleach! And still... the thought of it happening in my home, which is supposed to be safe... Not to speak of the person in question! I would literaly lose trust in them, which is completly ridiculous! Sometimes I really hate being this way, because it makes me act irrationaly.
    Not sure if anyone else has the same reaction...

Quote Originally Posted by ProudIntrovert View Post
    It's weird, in a situation like that my first concern would be to burn down the house!!! XD
    I have a problem more with residue and dirtiness (especially in my things) than with the actual getting sick, I'm pretty confident in my selfcontrol since I rarely ever v*, so I don't really think that I'm going to be sick, I have a much bigger obsession about being in a clean environment, so if that happened to me, in my bathroom, I probably would not go there for as long as I could and then I'd spend a whole day wipping every corner with bleach! And still... the thought of it happening in my home, which is supposed to be safe... Not to speak of the person in question! I would literaly lose trust in them, which is completly ridiculous! Sometimes I really hate being this way, because it makes me act irrationaly.
    Not sure if anyone else has the same reaction...
    You are not alone. My bf v* last year and thank god we have two bathrooms. I left him upstairs and I stayed downstairs on the couch for about a week. Made him wash all the bedding and even shampoo the carpets before I'd go back in there which is crazy since he v* in the bathroom and not the bedroom. I wouldn't go in that bathroom for at least a month. He cleaned it and then I went back in a cleaned it a few times before I felt safe...again rediculous because he's an adult and can make it too the toilet so it's not like there was a mess or germs all over the place.

What helps me feel better in situations like this is knowing that if I do v*, I can always go to the ER and get an anti nausea med that will fix it. Do you take anything (ie Xanax) that might help? If not, try fasting for a while just in case and put on a movie that makes you laugh. You probably are not sick (in my experience couples usually don't catch from one another) and if you are, go to the ER and ask for promethazine. Good luck.