Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My children are sick and I'm not sure how to cope.....

Child 1 was sick a few days ago and I've been anxious and on edge ever since. Now child 2 is vomiting. I feel sick (with worry at this stage I think), a lump in my throat, etc. I am terrified my toddler will get it and me of course. I am doing what I have to to care for her but I am shaking, heart besting quickly. The chances of me getting now are much higher than they were . What to do? No one close to me understands my fear. I usually hide from sickness, avoid many situations, the thought of catching something on my mind all of the time. Unfortunately it's rubbing off on the kids too. What to do??

Default Re: My children are sick and I'm not sure how to cope.....

As a mom I totally understand your fear. How old are your kids? If they are really young, it could be rotavirus which most adults are immune to. If they are older, it could def be a sv so use all precautions. TONS of handwashing, lysol everything. Heavy cleaning in the bathroom and obviously change and wash bedding in hot water. I basically treat it like a hazmat scene. Gloves and all. I am so sorry.

I am so sorry! These things are the PITS! Remind yourself that nothing dangerous is happening. Stomach viruses are common, pass quickly and are over and done with within a really short period.

I agree with what MD said, clean the bathroom with bleach, Lysol any area where your child v*ed and make sure everyone scrubs their hands (especially after going #2).

Remember that these bugs DO leave short term immunity, so even though this isn't fun, you can rest assured that your family will be 'safe' from this particular bug for a few months now!

Sv*s AREN'T the end of the world. It's short term discomfort and then they are over. You're going to be ok!

Im sorry this is happening to you! I wish I could send you some calming thoughts!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I just went through that myself a few weeks ago. I agree with Mdgirl. Wash hands, clean bathrooms, Clorox and Lysol everything. I try to isolate sick kids from healthy ones. If you have two bathrooms use one for sick kids. My other kids didn't get sick and neither did I. You can get through this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers (((hugs)))
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Hoew are you and your kids? I hope fine Mamas on here are very strong!
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I myself am in a similar situation. My son began to vomit Sunday and continued through yesterday. I am now terrified that I will get sick. The only thing that helps me is taking Xanax, though I know that is not for everyone. Cleaning things with bleach is a great idea as is isolating all those effected. And remember, too, that as adults we have better immune systems than children. I have been taking vitamin c to boost mine so maybe try that? I know what you mean about no one understanding. That is hard. Good luck, I have said a prayer for you.