Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Recovering and cured thread-share your story

I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can post about their recovery journey or how they were healed/cured of this phobia. I am on the road to recovery after having this phobia my entire life, so would love to hear from others.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Default Re: Recovering and cured thread-share your story

I LOVE this idea!!

I too am working on pulling back up from the lowest I have ever gone. Since I have had some bad experience with meds in the past, I am sticking to therapy and CONSTANTLY trying to push myself. The later seems to work the best though. I will let myself get somewhat comfortable with one thing, work as an example, started as a sub in consistant hours, and the ability to say no, and have pushed myself up to being on a consistent schedule! LOVE IT! Still working on the eating part thats the rough spot. I do take zofran more than I would like and that will be addressed after the eating issue is under control.

I have what I believe to be an extremely open mind to trying different things to get past this crap! All except the meds for good reason. I would love to see what else has worked for others.

Dairyfreelife, what do you do to help with recovery?

Well, I would definitely say that I am the road to recovery with cured not being too far away. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder that manifests itself in emetophobia during certain parts of my life. This last winter my emetophobia came back full force after being dormant for a couple years and ruined my life. I was always crying, I lost twenty pounds, failed all of my college classes out of fear of attending and never left my house. It was so ridiculous that I was afraid to use my class notebook at home because it touched germy desktops at my college, so it never left my car.

After hitting a low point in February, I decided I couldn't handle it and saw a doctor, who prescribed me Zoloft. I understand that medication is not a direction a lot of people want to take, and I get that, but it has undeniably made a new person out of me. I am my "old self" again - I go out with friends and family, eat out and do whatever else I want almost completely anxiety-free. I still have an off day where I struggle, but it is nothing compared to how it used to be.

The best advice I can give is to take charge of your phobia. Nobody asks for it and nobody wants it, but in the end, it is you that has to fight back. With the right amount of determination, it is possible. It is a conscious effort for me everyday to be this way, but it's an effort well spent.

I like these positive posts! Can you guys give me some insight as to how you got to the point of saying you are cured/recovering? ID love to say I'm at that point.... but not yet.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by mhartse View Post
    I like these positive posts! Can you guys give me some insight as to how you got to the point of saying you are cured/recovering? ID love to say I'm at that point.... but not yet.

For me it was seeing all the weight I lost and realizing how much of my life I was wasting I guess.. I would be paranoid about it EVERY second of EVERY day and it never happened, so I just started thinking about how much time of my life I had spent actually being sick to the point of v compared to how much time I lost worrying about if it might happen and it was CRAZY!! It just started on a roll of either I had to start changing my life or I was going to lose it, and thats how I saw it. Also the thought of losing family over it did not help and I was afraid of it rubbing off on my daughter. Just a combination of things.

I think about it like a bad relationship, you know it isn't a good situation and you could do better, people tell you that all the time, but you will not leave it until you yourself know you have had enough and need to move on.

I started with baby steps, little things, then the happiness I got from seeing that I did it and was okay kind of made me keep craving more and I kept pushing myself and still to this day that is what works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AIR32 View Post
    For me it was seeing all the weight I lost and realizing how much of my life I was wasting I guess.. I would be paranoid about it EVERY second of EVERY day and it never happened, so I just started thinking about how much time of my life I had spent actually being sick to the point of v compared to how much time I lost worrying about if it might happen and it was CRAZY!! It just started on a roll of either I had to start changing my life or I was going to lose it, and thats how I saw it. Also the thought of losing family over it did not help and I was afraid of it rubbing off on my daughter. Just a combination of things.

I think about it like a bad relationship, you know it isn't a good situation and you could do better, people tell you that all the time, but you will not leave it until you yourself know you have had enough and need to move on.

I started with baby steps, little things, then the happiness I got from seeing that I did it and was okay kind of made me keep craving more and I kept pushing myself and still to this day that is what works best for me.
    When I realized I was turning 25. That was when I said enough is enough. I want to get married. I want to travel. I want a family. And I don't want this ruining any of the future. It had my past. It can't take any more of my future.

My recovery journey is a mix of medicine, cognitive therapy, relaxation techniques including mindfulness and yoga and deep body relaxation, diet changes, more exercise, and mostly exposure therapy. I have really been doing a lot of exposure lately. If I get anxious at all, I stop, work to get relaxed again, and try again. That's the most important part I have learned in my therapy. Stop when anxious, get relaxed, but you must do it again. Over and over and over as necessary until the situation doesn't make me nervous any longer.

I am not recovered but do find that I am managing it a lot better by posting on here through supporting others. Often I think about what I would say to myself, if that makes sense. I still freak out about my son when he is here but I am managing my own feelings a bit better. I am not cured though.

I take it day by day.

My emet is pretty good in the summer. It's actually never been a problem until two years ago (I did have a brief period when I was 11 maybe? When I'd only eat Mac and cheese and toast because I'd learned about FP), about that same time I developed OCD. I really think the OCD has caused my emet to be so bad. So that's what I would really like to fix.

Dairy, how do you find cognitive therapy? It's something I've always been interested in!

Quote Originally Posted by cycle View Post
    Dairy, how do you find cognitive therapy? It's something I've always been interested in!
    My counselor/therapist is doing it with me. It's hard to find, but I would call around. I was also told to purchase a book called The Anxiety and Phobia Handbook. I was rather a skeptic, but the book has loads of information about various forms of therapies and help. It's actually been very helpful, though I don't believe in the concept of detox because the body detoxes itself via organs like the liver. Unless you have excess amounts confirmed by a doctor, it seems pointless, but still. Of course, I don't see an issue with drinks fresh juices. More fruits and veggies in our diets certainly can't hurt. A veggie/fruit juice with meals, sure. Only drinking juice for days on end, probably not so good. But it's all a balance and what works for you, so just my thoughts about detox anyway. I actually use some of the juicing trend recipes myself and drink them as an aside. But as an addition because I don't feel I get enough fruits and veggies, so thanks juicing detox trend for the recipes via Pinterest.
    Having said all that, I have noticed a difference with diet changes. Eliminating as much sugar, wheat, fried foods and really fatty foods from my diet has been helping me a lot with my pains, which is helping with my anxiety a little too. I also have taking calcium and magnesium supplements and getting sun without sunscreen as much as I can to get enough vitamin D. That said, if I am out for longer than 30 minutes, I do apply sunscreen. But a balance of getting sun without sunscreen and with sunscreen to prevent burns is important. It helps with depression and anxiety. It makes me happier and feel better.

Great idea for a thread! There can be so much worry on here, we should make the time to share our progresses and how far we've come!

My emet started when I was young, I can't remember ever not being scared of being sick or seeing someone else sick. A lot of my childhood memories are of my family being ill and me freaking out about it, locking myself in my wardrobe for half a day so that I couldn't hear what was going on it the bathroom.

I've had ups and downs, at my worst was when I was in my second year of university and I was pretty much housebound living with three girls who didn't understand what was wrong with me. I hated walking anywhere and missed so many classes, I did end up dropping out in the end. My boyfriend (now husband) was so good. He didn't understand what was going on with me, but he was supportive and helped as much as he could. I moved back home, started on anti-depressants and tried to get my life back.

Thinking about it now, I can't believe how far I've come. By pushing myself to do little things every day I can now pass as a 'normal' person (unless someone is actually being sick next to me!). I can do the food shopping whereas before I'd have to stay in the car for fear of being sick in front of someone. I go to the cinema, the theatre, out to restaurants. For our honeymoon we hired a motorhome and toured Europe, something I never thought I'd be able to do. We went on a cruise in May which was fantastic and tomorrow we're flying over to Dublin, my first flight in 15 years. I am really nervous, but just typing this now has made me realise how far I've come and how strong I must be to be able to have got here. At my worst there were times I didn't want to live, as I'm sure some, if not most of us feel, this fear can be so crippling. So I'm going to get on this flipping plane and I'm going to show my fear who's boss!! Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by fuggamoose View Post
    Great idea for a thread! There can be so much worry on here, we should make the time to share our progresses and how far we've come!

My emet started when I was young, I can't remember ever not being scared of being sick or seeing someone else sick. A lot of my childhood memories are of my family being ill and me freaking out about it, locking myself in my wardrobe for half a day so that I couldn't hear what was going on it the bathroom.

I've had ups and downs, at my worst was when I was in my second year of university and I was pretty much housebound living with three girls who didn't understand what was wrong with me. I hated walking anywhere and missed so many classes, I did end up dropping out in the end. My boyfriend (now husband) was so good. He didn't understand what was going on with me, but he was supportive and helped as much as he could. I moved back home, started on anti-depressants and tried to get my life back.

Thinking about it now, I can't believe how far I've come. By pushing myself to do little things every day I can now pass as a 'normal' person (unless someone is actually being sick next to me!). I can do the food shopping whereas before I'd have to stay in the car for fear of being sick in front of someone. I go to the cinema, the theatre, out to restaurants. For our honeymoon we hired a motorhome and toured Europe, something I never thought I'd be able to do. We went on a cruise in May which was fantastic and tomorrow we're flying over to Dublin, my first flight in 15 years. I am really nervous, but just typing this now has made me realise how far I've come and how strong I must be to be able to have got here. At my worst there were times I didn't want to live, as I'm sure some, if not most of us feel, this fear can be so crippling. So I'm going to get on this flipping plane and I'm going to show my fear who's boss!! Bring it on!
    Enjoy your trip! I always get nervous before plane rides but they always turn it out just fine.

I see some people's stories and I wish I could be where they are and then I see others and think my struggle isn't too bad. I've never struggled enough that I've wanted to end things, also being n* doesn't really freak me out, only if its intense n* do I start to even get a little anxious. I don't eat out, except for coffee and pastries and the occasional fries. However I don't avoid places, the theater doesn't bother me, although I rarely go since we never seem to be able to find the time. Actually, we go only about once or twice a year and one of those times is usually thanksgiving night. I find the grocery store to be gross in the winter, especially when people are coughing in the produce, but I don't avoid it. It fact I probably go about 4 times a week. I've fears v* all my life but for 25 years it's didn't effect my life, I had little quirks like checking expiration dates, and I had stomach problems in high school so I alway looked around for garbage cans (just in case) and carry around gum. I never stayed the night with people but it didn't stop me from going out with my friends. Id brefily panic if i heard someon had been sick and only have a panic attack if I heard or saw someone being sick. Two winters ago my bf got sick, still not exactly sure what it was, he v* and had d* once and then flu like symptoms for three days. While researching what he might have had and how to treat him, I came across noro provention...which was both a blessing and a curse. Great because I know how it's spread and how to avoid catching it but at the same time it has lead to my obsessive hand washing. I won't touch food unless my hands have been washed and I am hyper aware of everything I have touched. This has lead me to avoid going to people's houses or eating food others (except for my aunt and grandma) have prepared because someone might have been sick in their house. I would love to go back to how I used to be, when emet barley had any effect on my life. I would love to not freak out and feeling like I'm going to catch something if I don't wash my hands....I know the odds are low, but it's more if an OCD thing where if you don't do your ritual then something bad will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by fuggamoose View Post

Hi fuggamoose,

Your recovery sounds brilliant. Well done you. I was just wondering if you could give me more detail in relation to what 'little things' you do everyday? I've suffered with this phobia for aslong as i can remember and recently (in the past year) it has become worse. You remind me of myself when you say about your struggles with university, and not being able to go to the cinema and out to restaurants. How did you manage to do this? I make myself do these things, but all the way through i cant wait to get out as i panic about being sick in front of everyone at the restaurant, and in cinemas/theatres i feel trapped and feel if i needed to be sick, everyone would see and it would go everywhere. I keep challanging myself do to these things, and i have been doing so for months now as i wont let it take total control. How did you manage to overcome this?

Thanks for you post!

When I think back to how I used to be a few years ago I feel like I've made a little progress. I can now watch v scenes on tv, I actually try to watch them as a little bit of therapy. I don't panic now when I hear a 'clean up' announcement in the supermarket!!! I don't freak out as bad when my husband v's. My problem at the moment it the fear that my kids will get sick. I can look after them and clear up when they do v (although I'd much rather not!!!) so I really don't understand why I am so scared but I just can't help it!

More progress on my end and a suggestion...have a support person if possible. I find starting with one is the best help, someone without the thing you fear who will push you, but not force you. I made a thread, but thought I should put it here too as a recovering story.

My holiday weekend progress and happy belated 4th of July fellow Americans...
    So...I went out of town this weekend and ate out at many different restaurants. I had Indian, Argentinian, Thai, Greek, Mongolian, and come local cafe/restaurant food. And...I am fine. I even forgot to wash my hands and ate some food with my hands. Three days later...no sickness.

I went out many places, crossed several bridges, went to Niagara Falls for the first time, which if you have never seen, I recommend it. I went on the bridge with the tower and it was way high and I was so scared and shaky...but I made myself do it anyway. And it was so worth it.

I went on the Dubesque Incline in Pittsburgh too. I was in a huge crowd of people on the 4th and there were many drunk people as well. No one threw up and the fireworks were awesome. I went on a subway. No vomit. No fear. I went on a duck tour while in Pitt and learned they have 446 bridges in the city limits of the city. Awesome and i dislike bridges, but it certainly got me pushing the fear limits of both of my vomit and heights/water/bridges fear.

Quote Originally Posted by mhartse View Post
    A recovered emet is somebody who doesn't obsess about throwing up, doesn't worry about eating out, doesn't worry about travelling on public transport, can be with and give support to somebody who is vomiting, doesn't worry about catching noro off their sick workmate, can eat sushi, rice, chicken, turkey etc without worrying about fp, gets drunk or dabbles with drugs without worrying about throwing up, can visit friends or family in hospital without worrying about picking up a sv, someone who enjoys social occasions, someone who enjoys Christmas and winter without worrying about bugs, someone who can host a children's party and not worry about a child eating too much and vomiting, somebody who thinks ugh when they walk past a pile of vomit
    on the pavement but doesn't obsess about it for the rest of the day, somebody who walks into a public toilet where somebody is vomiting and asks if they are ok, somebody who doesn't check their temperature or analyse every stomach gurgle, somebody who doesn't take anti emetics on a regular basis, only when needed, if at all. That is a recovered emet in my mind and something I know for sure I will never be.
    Last edited by rebecca1976; 07-08-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo

I see my recovery as not obsessing over vomit being somewhere anymore. No longer worrying about sidewalks or people on the side of the road that may be sick-which they almost never are anyway and are almost always having car trouble. Not worrying about travel for fear I or someone else will be sick and I will panic. Eat out without fear I will get food poisoning, which is not that common anyway with restaurants as they have regulations to follow or else could end up closed down.
    While I think even non-emets sometimes may hope they don't catch whatever a sick person has, for me it will be dealing with sick people and caring for them anyway because they are ill. Visit people without fear. Enjoy holidays without fear. Can use public restrooms or even maybe don't like them, but is not afraid because someone may have been sick or may be sick while I am in there. I want to not fear my SO being sick or my future children being sick or refusing to get pregnant because I may be sick. I want to go out and to movies and watch tv without fear that someone may vomit on screen and I will panic.
    I don't take anti-emetics regularly anyway. I refuse to drink or do drugs. I see too much bad in that and do not encourage drunkenness or recreational drug use. Emet had nothing to do with it. The taste never suited me either with alcohol. Yet to find a taste I liked.
    Recovered to me basically will be when I can see vomit and say, gross, but not freak out, not panic, not feel the need to run away and obsess about it the rest of the day or count down the time from possible exposures. Not letting the fear stop me anymore from doing anything fun. Go out, travel, have friends and a family and enjoy life without fear.
    I don't know why you believe you will never be cured. I thought that too, but I am actually in the slowly recovering stage. No reason you can't one day be there too.

Dairy free life (sorry, my iPad won't let me type it all as 1 word) any step forward is a huge achievement when it comes to thsi phobia, it can be life delibitating in many ways, I hope you make it, you are right with everything you say and you sound determined to do it! I dont believe I will ever be cured, I have been emet phobic for 30 years, it was at it's worst during my twenties and I was agoraphobic for a couple of years, I missed out on a lot, it was paxil that got me on my feet again, I was on it for about 7 years, I came off them as I was fed up with being emotionless (during the time I was on them I don't think I cried once) I have come to accept that this is as far as I will go to full recovery, I can just about cope when my son is sick (that is the main thing that matters) I eat out, travel on public transport as long as it's not too busy, I've never taken an anti-emetic although I carry them in my bag, unlike a lot of emets I rarely feel sick and don't have tummy troubles. I'm able to have a fairly normal life, I don't obsess about vomit unless it enters my world, this is why I think I have recovered as much as I possibly can. Here in the south of england where I live there isn't much therapy available, when I told my GP about my phobia she didn't take me seriously so I've come quite a long way by myself.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I joined after reading Scott Sossel's article in the Atlantic* regarding his struggle with emetophobia and other anxieties (he also has a book*).

I had emetophobia from age 8 to age 30. I remember the moment it happened: I was reading a book that contained "barf." I closed the book immediately and put it back, and wouldn't touch it again. From then on I had nightmares all of the time, would hop over places in my house where I or my family members had thrown up, etc. It was a debilitating anxiety well into my teens. I've completely recovered (I think permanently) in the ways that Rebecca1976 describes (and I think you can too, Rebecca), and I did so without CBT. My recovery story is sort of strange, and if it hadn't happened in that way I would definitely sought out CBT therapy. However, after reading Scott Sossel's traumatizing story, I think that Anna Christie's advice* about GRADUAL exposure therapy seems absolutely correct. In effect, that was what I was doing on my own, over the course of many years.

I think that the #1 thing that helped my anxiety/phobia was to admit to everyone I loved, and often relative strangers, that I had emetophobia. I was so ashamed about not being able to care for my loved ones who were sick (particularly an early BF who had a sensitive stomach) that I felt that I owed them an explanation. Gradually just telling people about it made it easier, since it released me from some of the shame of my avoidant behaviors. I also exposed myself gradually: during my teens I started to realize that certain places that I went and certain experiences that I wanted to have would make running into my fears unavoidable. I used to panic, but gradually got to the point where if the person was in the bathroom and I could hear it, I could tolerate it, eventually getting to the point where I could offer them water through the door, etc. Likewise with movies--I love them and want to see all of them, and not being able to watch certain ones was really annoying to me. So at first I would (as discreetly as possible, but again all of my friends knew about my fear) cover eyes/ears, and then get to the point where I could peek out and say "ew," etc. Despite the fact that I still had the phobia, I traveled all over the world and often for long periods of time.

I was "cured" last year by what I can only describe as my own brain letting go of the fear. I was mostly over it as it pertained to others (i.e. could walk by v* in the street without freaking out), but still couldn't really take care of others, and still very terrified about it for myself. It didn't seem debilitating anymore, but I was getting very sick of the idea that this would be a lifelong thing. About two years ago I started to do a ton of research and found out that emetophobes often have a strong "internal locus of control," meaning that we think that most adverse circumstances/events can be controlled by our actions. Then last year, after a rather traumatic event over which I had no control, my mind seemed to let go of all of it. This will sound really strange, but I had a really remarkable dream. At first I thought it was one of the nightmares that I've had since I was a kid: two women on a catwalk V*ing in all sorts of strange and kind of beautiful patterns. But after awhile something in my brain clicked and I could see that it wasn't a nightmare: they were showing me how to v* in style (really silly dream, I know, but incredibly powerful).

Only about two days after this dream I got too drunk (perhaps to test myself?) and had to be walked home by an ex (who knew about my problem) and another friend (who my ex told about my problem as we were walking). I ended up having to v*. Having the two of them there was really comforting, but as many people here have said, the relief after an actual experience like that doesn't always last. A few nights later, though, I was able for the first time in my life to comfort a friend who was sick, which I was so proud of.

It's only been about 9 months since I had this experience, but I continue to be shocked and pleased about how much I can do. I recently watched a very, very v* heavy movie that I thought that I would at least turn away from, but I never looked away. I really hope that the relief from the phobia lasts, and I plan to continue exposing myself periodically (if it doesn't happen naturally) to maintain my non-phobic status.

In sum, what helped me:
    -Admitting my problem to friends and family
    -Finding ways to accommodate my fears without giving up my dreams and expectations for myself (travel, tending to loved ones however I could)
    -My own version of GRADUAL CBT (never going above a 5 on anxiety scale)
    -Research

This has been long, but I have looked through a lot of the posts and I'm so sad about how much suffering this is causing. It affected my life for 22 years. I hope that everyone here can improve, recover, or get better. It's very comforting just to know that many others are out there and that it doesn't have to be forever.

*I had links to this information, but since this is my first post I am not allowed to post hyperlinks here. Googling the names/info should work, or just contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by yourjedi View Post
    I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder that manifests itself in emetophobia during certain parts of my life.
    Sounds like me too. My emetophobia is fine when I'm not anxious but other things. But when school becomes stressful, or there are things going on with my family, the emetophobia strikes back. It's all tied in with my GAD, I think. My phobia used to be entirely situational and only bother me when someone in my house was being sick, or if I saw it. Which wasn't a lot. And then when I started having panic attacks and was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, the emetophobia became 24/7. I was actually almost fear-free for about 3 years until my anxiety came back full force.

I'm working on recovery. I know I'm in a rough spot right now, as I've been posting a lot and constantly seeking reassurance. I need to work through my anxiety once again, perhaps readjust my medication, as the Zoloft I was prescribed 4 years ago has really helped. I also need to keep proving to myself that I'm fine, and that I can handle it. I've v*d twice in the past twelve months, for the first time in 13 years. And both times were absolutely fine, not traumatic in the least. I need to keep using those situations to my advantage, and reminding myself that there's nothing to fear. It's the buildup that is scary, and it would make even a "normal" person anxious - but the v*ing is harmless.

We're all capable of recovering. I know I'm on my way. I'm certainly still nowhere near as bad as I once was. I can now cope with v*ing in non-contagious settings - i.e if someone is drunk, has food poisoning, etc. It's the bug that really still freaks me out, and I'm going to start seeing a counselor regularly to help overcome that fear. I want to accept that v*ing is a natural part of life and it happens from time to time, not dread it and let it consume my days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I am not sure how I'm doing right now. This phobia has kinda taken over my life and rarely do I ever win against it. But there was this one time that I did recover. Not completely, but I was able to do most things I wouldn't do now.

I recently posted in the Triumphs section but unfortunately not many people have viewed it so i'm pleased so see someones started a thread. Below is my story.

I am so sad to see there are so few posts about recovery, because it IS possible.

"I joined the forum back in 2006 and haven't been on in years but I wanted to log back in to share my story as I hope to inspire and give folk hope that there IS help and a way out of this if you put in the effort.

I'll try to keep this brief enough to keep you interested but detailed enough to give you a rough idea.

I started developing emet when I was 17, it took hold and got worse and worse over the years. I wasn't sleeping, I lost all my friends because I stopped going out, at one point I stopped eating altogether. I was referred to a dietician, a counsellor and CBT over the next few years. I was always striving for something that would help. I never gave up hope - that's really important. You can view my full story via this link > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWh5PAMry1I. There are other wonderful videos on there, but in particular, see my good friend Rhi's who has recently done a video, Jenny, a lovely girl i've met through the page AND last but not least Mary, who in her 80's overcame emet with the Thrive programme. She truely is an inspiration and was mine when I first started the programme.

I'll try not to repeat too much but please please watch the video, you'll see just how well I am doing now, i'd say i'm 100% cured. Not just learning to live with it, not just managing to lower my anxiety but CURED. I no longer avoid things like pubic transport, hospitals, I no longer carry anti-emets everywhere I go, or wear acupressure wrist bands or carry ginger sweets. I can also talk openly about my old phobia to family, friends and even acquaintances without shame or embarrassment.

I did it with the Thrive programme. Now, counselling and CBT helped a little, i'd say they got me half way there but I was never cured with them. You'll see that from my video. Thrive put me back in control of my emotions, my thinking and my life. I feel able to cope in so many more situations than just vomit ones.

If anyone is able to pull themselves away from the more negative worrisome threads on here and find the time to read this and watch my video, I really do hope you've been given a little bit of hope. Remember, I was once where you are now, struggling, and i'd have done anything to hear success stories so I very much hope this has been helpful and puts some people on the path to recovery.

If you've got questions feel free to ask.

Katie - Emet free!

I'm having the EXACT same thing as you right now. Could you tell me how you managed to break out of the habit of staying indoors all the time? I'm at Uni, failing miserably because I'm too afraid to go outdoors, let alone go into classes.

It's now been a good 6 months that I've been indoors all day everyday doing nothing but worrying, panicking and not eating well.
    Id love to be able to take a bit more control and not lean on my partner quite so much for support

Quote Originally Posted by yourjedi View Post
    Well, I would definitely say that I am the road to recovery with cured not being too far away. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder that manifests itself in emetophobia during certain parts of my life. This last winter my emetophobia came back full force after being dormant for a couple years and ruined my life. I was always crying, I lost twenty pounds, failed all of my college classes out of fear of attending and never left my house. It was so ridiculous that I was afraid to use my class notebook at home because it touched germy desktops at my college, so it never left my car.

After hitting a low point in February, I decided I couldn't handle it and saw a doctor, who prescribed me Zoloft. I understand that medication is not a direction a lot of people want to take, and I get that, but it has undeniably made a new person out of me. I am my "old self" again - I go out with friends and family, eat out and do whatever else I want almost completely anxiety-free. I still have an off day where I struggle, but it is nothing compared to how it used to be.

The best advice I can give is to take charge of your phobia. Nobody asks for it and nobody wants it, but in the end, it is you that has to fight back. With the right amount of determination, it is possible. It is a conscious effort for me everyday to be this way, but it's an effort well spent.
    I'm having the EXACT same thing as you right now. Could you tell me how you managed to break out of the habit of staying indoors all the time? I'm at Uni, failing miserably because I'm too afraid to go outdoors, let alone go into classes.

It's now been a good 6 months that I've been indoors all day everyday doing nothing but worrying, panicking and not eating well.
    Id love to be able to take a bit more control and not lean on my partner quite so much for support

I wouldn't say I'm recovered but am still recovering. I hit my lowest point last summer and through the fall/winter I've been doing a lot of research in order to educate myself. For me it started with just accepting that I had a problem. Then I would read stories of others who were suffering which eventually lead to youtube videos of others talking about their journey. Once I realized that some people CAN recover from this that became my mission. So I've been using different techniques that I've learned about online. I also finally opened up to some family and friends so I can openly talk to them when I'm struggling and I'm lucky that they're all very supportive and help talk me through the difficult times.

One of my biggest tools to managing my phobia is to play the "so what?" game. It sounds kind of crazy but when I start to feel anxious or sick I ask myself "So what?" I'll probably be fine but if I do get sick, so what? I'll feel lousy for a while, but I'll survive and I'll get on with my life. That's a huge help to rationalize with myself.

I also try to focus on what exactly I'm feeling when I think I'm nauseous and it's almost always not in my stomach but in my head or throat. That helps me to relax. And when I have these feelings I ask myself if I've felt that way before - usually I have and then I remind myself that I wasn't sick then, so likely won't be now.

As far as eating - I don't allow my self to skip meals anymore because of my phobia and remind myself that if I have a stomach bug I'll be sick whether I eat or not and that most likely I will feel better after eating.

I'd love to say I'm 100% recovered someday but for now this is how I deal with my lingering symptoms.