Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Bad D*, very upset

I got a severe throat infection last week which left me in hospital as I couldn't swallow food. They discharged me with high doses of metronidazole and phenoxymethylpencillin. I have felt dizzy and a bit off on them, but today I've had three bouts of quite bad d* and cramping. I'm starting to worry I'm ill with a bug or FP as my lower stomach feels warm, bloated, and heavy.

I wouldn't say if feel s* or ill in myself but I feel very anxious. I took Immodium about four hours ago, I wondered if I should take another. I was hungry earlier so ate dinner as normal (pasta). My appetite seems fine. My stomach feels like it's knawing.

Has anyone been either on these antibiotics before, or on them together? I could do with some reassurance this is normal and I'm not actually ill with a bug or FP. Please help, I'm so scared.

Default Re: Bad D*, very upset

you can take, I think, up to either 4 or 8 imodium a day. I used to have to take them and my boxes said one after the first bout of d and one more after each successive. that being said, it will stop you up BIG TIME, so I never took more than 2 in one day. that is just me. you are safe to take a second one, I am sure.

penicillin and derivative meds have a d effect on most people as it messes with your stomach bacteria and can cause an unbalance. drs recommend eating yogurt or taking a supplement like lactobacillus to fix the digestive tract. obviously do not take a supplement without calling your dr, but if you have yogurt at home, I would try to eat some.

D could be a side effect of the medicine? I think you would feel sick, and not want to eat if you were ill with something. Probably take another medicine for your D if you want, cause i bet its from the medicine.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Thanks guys. Helps to talk, particularly as it's late over here in the UK. I've had six bouts so far (last three weren't a lot though, almost mostly gas). I took another Immodium about half an hour ago and the cramps and heaviness have eased a lot. I don't feel 100% but I feel I've cleared out the most. Sorry for TMI.

I am terrified to take my night dose of the antibiotics?

I do have some yogurt so going to try that - is like a normal vanilla yogurt any help?

Thank you so much..

I'm fairly certain it's the antibiotics. I've been prescribed metronidazole once before... never again! I spent the night curled up in a ball next to the toilet because I was in so much pain, I thought I was going to v* and my abdomen hurt so terribly much. My dad was close to bringing me to the ER. I didn't get sick, but I had d* the next day though. It's a VERY rough antibiotic. I wouldn't take the immodium though, not unless you managed to call a health hotline and inquire if it's ok to take them. With some causes of d*, it's best not to take it and to let the bad stuff go out. Yogurt isn't very effective while still taking the antibiotics, as they pretty much kill the cultures are they get into your intestines. You can try some probiotics, since the concentration is much higher. They're mostly useful after you finish the antibiotics, to rebuild flora. I always keep some packets of Gastrolyte on hand, and I drink that when I get d*, it helps to calm it without the "dangers" of using immodium.

That sounds like the combo of both antibotics.Phenoxymethylpencillin causes alot of D and stomach upset. If you are having lots of D I would call the Dr.
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

I also think it's antibiotics. The side effects can be d*, n* (stomach upset and everything what goes with it). How are you now? I'm currently taking a triple therapy for H.pylori and I'm really nauseaous almost the whole day..but I survived 5 days, I need to take it for a few days more. But I didn't throw up so I'm handling it somehow. Everyone reactions are different.. If you're not nauseous, I would't worry
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Thanks so much for all your replies. Thankfully the second Immodium must have worked, the cramps and d* bouts stopped last night almost instantly after a sixth bout of d*. Don't think there was any left! I didn't realise Metrodonzole was so harsh! I had heard it was strong and you couldn't drink on it, but I've NEVER experienced d* like this is in my life! Will invest in a probiotic. Wanted, you're doing so well! I'm halfway through too, we can do this together!

If you want a pretty good probiotic, buy Align. It's a very good bacterial strain and doctors do recommend it.

Is that a UK or US product? Thanks.

Thank you! Yes, we must do it. How are you now?
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Think the Immodium has sent me the other way now I'm bloated :/ but no n* or d* today! Just feel a bit off really you know? How are you?

I also feel bloated. I feel like that for a few hours after two kind of antibiotics..tonight it's ok, sometimes I feel worse and can't sleep until 1am.
    but the 6th day is done

Well done! I'm having a bad night. I've had a stressful day anyway (am organising moving house). I can't sleep. I've felt sickly from the antibiotics, but I'm also panicking because I've been bad recently at not going for a pee when I need it as I've been so crazily busy and now I've got pain in my rib cage and mid back and I'm panicking it's a urine infection, which I had before once and ended to actually v*. But the discomfort could just be stress and tiredness and the tablets.

Align is a US product but it might be marketed in the UK as well.

I ALWAYS pick up yogurt and acidophilus when I'm on antibiotics. It prevents the d* side effect and the chance of getting a yeast infection too. The antibiotics don't know which bacterias are the good ones and which are the bad ones, they just kill everything.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I've picked up some yogurt.. Thanks everyone... I thought I had taken all my doses by Sunday but just realised I have two more tablets left. Tonight my sore throat felt like it was starting to come back and suddenly I felt n*, and I can feel gunk dripping down my throat which is making me gag. I've just taken one of the two final tablets. I'm wondering if the n* is because the antibiotics are still in my system? I was on two high doses of strong antibiotics after all. I'm also having a heavy period and under a lot of stress with moving house so could put it down to that.

Lots of things could be causing the n*. The antibiotics are hard on your stomach, my period makes me very n*, the gunk dripping down your throat (nasal drip) can also make you feel n*.

Yeah I need to remember n* doesn't mean bug or FP, or that I will v*. I've got one tablet to take tonight but I'm scared of coming off them as I will have nothing to blame. I always seem to feel n* on my period too, why is that? And yeah I definitely have PND - throat feels clogged though not sore anymore. Leads to gagging and n*..

I agree with you, I won't have anything to blame if I'm n*. As I'm getting rid of H.pylori I can't blame it for my n*, and now as I am taking antibiotics, I blame them. I must say I'm handling it much better these days, no n* after taking it! One more day and that's it! I'm also taking probiotics. How are you now?

I've taken my last tablet and I'm in a terrible state. No excuses now. I always wondered if I have H P given my constant stomach problems or if it's just anxiety. Oh I'm glad you aren't suffering too much! That's good.

I feel sh*t. Sick of thinking about bloody v*.

Remember that the antibiotics have done a number on your stomach, it's going to take time for it to heal

Is that true? I never know as some people say it can take days but others say no it's out your system within hours. I've been on high doses of two very strong antibiotics (including Metrodonzole) for nearly two weeks...

I guess it depends, if its the actual medication that's making you n* than I suppose it would be out of your system within 24 hours. However if the medication has actually irritated your stomach lining than it can take awhile to heal. Does that make sense?

Yeah it does I think it is irritated as I'm getting reflux and coughing..