Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Eating Out

Hey All,

It's weird, I have all the typical EMET symptoms except eating out. I have been eating at restaurants at least 5-7 times a week for the last 5 years and have never gotten sick. Dont get me wrong, I sniff and poke my food before I eat it, and dont touch it if something looks off. I think I am more uncomfortable that someone else in the restuarant might V*. By choking or just plain being sick. I think that is because I have come across those situations a couple of times. Ick.

Anyone else OK with one of the big symptoms? I remember a couple of people saying before that they are not adamant about washing their hands? I wish I didnt have that one, my hands look like those of an 80 year old, not a 36 year old. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

--Kim

im not too bad with eating out. MY bf and i eat out at least once a month but we pretty much always goto the same restaurant, firstly because i work for the company so know the hygiene standards and secondly because i get discount there. My bf is also a very fussy eater and he likes the steak there, he wont eat chinese or indian etc. Lol we always order the exact same thing at the restaurant and the waiting staff know us now. I do eat chinese and indian takeaways or in the restaurants with my family but we always goto the same ones which my dad has been going to since he was 15!

I dont usually get anxiety from eating out because i know and trust the restaurants we goto.I also usualy eat only vegetarian when eating out just because im so paranoid about meat being undercooked.

I have always eaten out all the time since I was a kid. I've had no problems with sickness from it.

I wash my hands after the restroom and 95% of the time before eating. That's it.

Edited by: japa

I, too have no problems eating out. I love eating out but I always check as well lol. Like I went to Subways and I watched the lady make my sandwich. I always do that.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I'm not that bad at eating out, except for hamburgers and most steaks. otherwise, i love it!

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I don't worry about food at all, I worry more about what if I get sick while at the restaurant and can't make it out.

My problem with eating at restaurants is not so much with the food giving me poisoning, but more so with the people preparing it. Is or has the waitress or cook been sick? Were things washed good before I eat them? Is the table clean? Are the people at the next table sick? It's on my mind alot. There's many times when I just can't get myself to go out and eat, and I know it is hard on my husband when he is really in the mood to go out.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

i love eating out. my problem is that i only eat at expesive places
    because i think they will have fresher and better food than say a
    diner. so cheaper places freak me out.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I usually don't have a problem eating out. I try to stick to big chain restaurants. I think they are cleaner. I worked in a highly rated restuarant for many years. We never got below a 97/100 on our inspections. When I hear of places getting 70's and 80's, it really creeps me out. Also, if I ever get the poops from a restaurant (i.e. Taco Bell), I never eat there again. But we go out to eat every Friday and Saturday night. I am more worried about eating food from other people's homes. Especially my in laws. Even my husband won't eat anything his mom cooked at her apartment. My sis-in-law didn't kow that worcheshire sauce was supposed to be refrigerated after opening. SHe'll leave cream cheese out all day - to make it soft. I don't play that.

I'm ok with eating out, but like bexcelica said, more expensive places are the ones I prefer. I'd rather eat at say, a proper chinese restaurant that serves things steaming hot and well cooked, than a dodgy, greasytakeaway shop.

My family and I used to frequent the pub near where I live, they used to do cheap meals at night. Haven't eaten there since before last christmas, where I got d* from their 'serve yourself' salad bar...boy do i hate those with a passion now -_-

i hate eating out. i get sweaty palms and i have to sit near the restroom.....[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I love eating out- usually try to do so as often as possible and check out new places when I get the chance. I actually try to stay away from the large chain restaurants because you can taste that their food is prepared en masse, and quite frankly it's like cardboard to me. Places like Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, etc. make me cringe- I can really only do the chain restaurants for breakfast, because it's hard to screw up an omelette, lol. I also don't eat fast food with the exception of an occasional veggie burger from Harvey's if I'm really hungry.

Bex- I hate to break it to you, but how expensive the place is doesn't necessarily have bearing as to how fresh their ingrediants are, or their health record. A friend's father is a firefighter and has been in many of the kitchens in the area where I live to deal with the occasional greasefire or inspection. He said that some of the kitchens in the expensive restaurants would make you cringe- apparently trendiness is often used as a substitute for quality. On the other hand, some of those places that looked like hole-in-the-wall mom-and-pop-type establishments were impeccably clean. It's really hard to tell- but I love food so much that I'm willing to play roulette.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My BIL is VP of Food Service at a huge city hospital where I live. He is the King of food handling and can tell you anything you want to know. He also has dozens of books on the subject (we'd love them all).

He told me that you should always look at the restaurant's public bathrooms.The cleanliness, or lack thereof, is an indication of what the kitchen is like. The food itself is usually not the issue, but the refrigeration standards, bug control, and sick employees are the problems.

I could go on and on, but who wants to be scared. I used to frequent restaurants all the time. Before we had kids, we always went out. Now, I am not so jazzed about it. When I see kitchen help that looks like axe muderers who don't speak a word of English, I get concerned. I know that these type of folks are hard to track down if something does happen. Waitresses, bus people, are hired a dime a dozen. They are here today, gone tomorrow and most could give a rat's a** about their jobs, the customer, or anything else. The bosses are also to blame. They insist that people come to work when they are sick.

Stella

i tend to really like eating at PANERA..
    as im able to see if the people preparing my sandwich are well or not..

but as for other restaurants where you cant see the preparers, i get a little nervous.

but i dont believe ive EVER had a problem in my 23 years with bad food from a restaurant. except mcdonalds. and other fast food chains. NASTY. WHY WOULD ANYONE EAT THERE. mcnasty . i had a badmcfish once when i was 6. i also have had food poisoning from poorly labeled food from a local grocery store. as well as WEDDINGS. i refuse to eat food at summer weddings anymore. REFUSE.

I wish I could eat out. I especially don't eat out much during this time of year. But then in the summer, I think you have to be more careful aboutfood getting spoiled in the heat. I really used to enjoy eating out, and I miss it alot.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&lt;&lt;&lt;I wish I could eat out&gt;&gt;&gt;

Then do it! If there aren't any financial barriers (or some weird health/allergy thing), get out there and check out a few restaurants. Yes, you have a phobia, but how you choose to react to and manage this phobia is completely up to you- if your reasons for not eating out are emet related, then it is really not your emet that is stopping you, but you making the conscious choice not to head out there. If eating out is something you miss- then do it. You gotta start somewhere.

*amber*

ps- Liz, I'm with you about the McDick's thing. I can't for the life of me understand why or how people can eat fries swimming in salt, or burgers that are only 10% meat. Revolting.

These types of jobs don't pay enough or offer enough respect to the workers for them to give a rat's ass about the customer. The workers can't even pay their bills with this type of work, and they usually have to have several of these jobs just to afford a room somewhere and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner.

Have you ever read Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich? Most of the workers still do care and try to do their best anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

Waitresses, bus people, are hired a dime a dozen. They are here today, gone tomorrow and most could give a rat's a** about their jobs, the customer, or anything else. The bosses are also to blame. They insist that people come to work when they are sick.

Stella

Sometimes I am fine with it, other times I cannot stand the thought of eating out. Right now, I'm in the phase where eating out scares me more than anything else! Sometimes I actually feel safer eating out than eating at home -- go figure? I think my emet just comes in phases.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I have conducted quite a few investigations in restaurants and I won't share the horrors I have seen. Are there workers who care about their jobs? Yes, there are. However, there are many more who don't. Sorry, but that is the nature of the beast.

Stella

I work in a very poorly paid job, i also dont get sick pay. If im ill i go in (unless i am actually having v* or d* and would need to be near a bathroom), if I have a day off sick i cant pay my rent or my uni fees. I actually do care about what i do (well i dont care about the job itself but i'll be moving on to a graduate job soon and i need a good reference so i always try my best).

a lot of the people where i work left school with no qualifications and this is the only job they could get. I dont mean to sound nasty but many of them are not very intellectual, but they are the only people thatw ill work for such terrible wages because they have no qualifications to get a better job. its the same in a lot of restaurants, often 16 year olds who dont care cos its just a saturday job, or people that dont have the intelligence to think about washing their hands, cross-contamination etc. From the people i have worked with in some cases its not that they don't care they just don't remember. Obviously there are some very good people who work in restaurants (my dad used to) but a lot unfortunately are not.

I believe the only way to improve standards in restaurants is to improve pay. I know that after getting myself into £16000 debt to complete my degree, i would not work full time in a £5 an hour job.

Im really strange in that sense as I hate eating out in the winter but love it in the summer! Although I must admit I will then only go to places that I love and have been going for a few years!! ie several local pubs and decent restaurants......

You would think the opposite given that in the summer its hot, foodgets left out etc but this doesnt seem to get to me like te winter v* thing does.

Laney

What I am saying is that for the most part, they don't get paid enough to care. You and I wouldn't care either if we were getting paid nothing, could only afford a room at the Motel 6 or something, and received little respect from bosses or customers.

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

I have conducted quite a few investigations in restaurants and I won't share the horrors I have seen. Are there workers who care about their jobs? Yes, there are. However, there are many more who don't. Sorry, but that is the nature of the beast.

Stella

I only eat out at resturants that I've been going to for years. I almost NEVER eat at a place I've never eaten at before. With the exception of Charley's Grilled Subs, I was craving a Philly Cheese steak sandwich one day and I went there for the first time. Now I can't get enough of it! Anyway I worked in a resturant a few years ago and that place was BAD, they would drop food on the floor and then actually serve it. Suffice to say I've never eaten there again. But I've never had problems with FP except for from McNasty's...but I still eat there every once in a while. Sometimes I have problems where I'll only eat out...and sometimes I'll only eat the food that I bring home. It's weird. I love eating out...but parts of it I hate...like the worrying about if the food was prepared right and what not.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I always check the restraunt inspections in the newspapaer and if they have any critical violations never will I eat there- and I remember where people have said they got sick.
    You MUST do the thing you fear the most- E. Roosevelt