Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Possible gastro bug

My mam works in a childcare centre, and today one of the kids v* quite violently in her workplace. Mam was the only one in the room, so she had to clean it up, she says she used gloves and disinfected everything, but the child's mam said he probably caught the gastro bug his brother had over the weekend, meaning that that child has been exposing everyone else to his germs for the 2 days between his brother having the bug and getting s* himself. I'm starting to get nervous in case my mam gets it, thus passing it on to me or my sister. I know she was wearing gloves and all, and the clothes she was wearing are now in the wash, but I'm still quite nervous. D'you reckon there's a good chance of any of us getting it?

Default Re: Possible gastro bug

It's possible that she gets it, but that, of course, doesn't mean you will get it. If she gets it, you have to be careful and wash your hands, and if it's possible - avoid her. Do you have 2 bathrooms?
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Yea but the upstairs bathroom is the one we use the most, 'cause it's the one with the shower. It's typical that mam would get exposed to a gastro bug a day before she starts her summer time off XD

Well at least you have 2 bathrooms, that's good! And if someone in my family gets sick, I wouldn't take a shower no mather what haha but that's just me, I have to be sure not to get in touch with an sv*. Let us know if she gets sick. I hope she won't.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

How old is the child? It's possible they could have had rotavirus which adults have built up immunity to over their lifetime, adults can still catch it but usually have very mild symptoms. Fingers crossed your mum doesn't catch it.

The kids she works with are between the ages of 9 and 14 months. I'm hoping that if she doesn't get it by tomorrow she won't get it at all, since any germs would have had a couple of days to incubate by then. Fingers crossed. My stomach is a bit sour today, but I think it could be because I've got myself worked up thinking about it.

I work in child care and kids generally t*u* a lot more than adults do. As others have said rotavirus is really common with kids that young but it is not something adults can catch. Also, kids immune systems in general are not as good as ours so they are more prone to being s* than we are. Working in childcare has actually really helped my emet & OCD but that is a story for another thread.

Anyhow ... if your mom was diligent in using gloves and disinfecting it's possible she may not even get the bug. Most child cares use bleach or other strong cleaners to clean up s*. As others have said, just take care of yourself these next couple of days. Incubation for these things is really quick so if you and your mom haven't caught it in a day or two I'd say you most likely are not going to.

Take care ...
    I'll find strength in pain
    and I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again

At that age the child could have thrown up from a thousand different reasons, eating too much at lunch, crawling or jumping around too soon after eating, downing a bottle too quickly, coughing, reflux, the list could go on and on. I'm sure your mum is going to be fine.