Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey Guys, I don't know if you guys knew, but I was having a pretty rough time deciding on what I wanted to major in and eventually pursue as a career. I am only a freshman...well sophmore now, and I know it's a little early to start thinking about all of that, but I felt like I had to make a decision now, or at least be on the right path. See, I started college as a Mass Media and Art major. (Our college requires double major.) Then I found I wanted to major in Spanish instead of art, and it only made sense because I love the language and I have been studying iteveryyearsince I was in the 7th grade. Anyway, a while after, I realized that my college's mass media program didn't have exaclty what I had in mind of doing. They have more emphasis on print media such as newspaper writing and things, and I really didn't want to do that. I was more into the radio, television, film aspect of the whole thing. I went to a special high school and a lot of the programs we had were so much more advanced than the ones they offered at my college. I didn't want to waste money on something that I had already learned, you know? So, then, I had always wanted to be a teacher, but had always feared it for the obvious reason. I was afraid of students getting sick. But then I realized I was letting the phobia take the reins and pull, which I didn't want it to do anymore. So, I am thinking about changing my major to education. I am almost certain that I want to be a Spanish teacher, but then again, I think it would also be interesting to teach art. Then part of me says: "pre-school teacher" I LOVE kids, and I think it would be fun, minus the sick part....I mean, I spent a day in a day care center and was on edge the whole time becauseI was afraid one of the kids would be sick....but I still LOVED it!! I mean, I really got along with the kids and I loved playing with them! But the emet thing really bothers me.So basically I am all over the place right now.

Just a week ago I took a career test (Strongs)and it said I was an SAE. (A Social, Artist, Enterprising.) Which basically means that I would enjoy careers interacting with people and in the arts. Almost all of the careers that matched were teacher. High school teacher, English Teacher, Child Care Professional, and the MOST interesting thing was that FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER HAD THE PERFECT MATCH: SAE!!!!!!!! See, they match up your interests based on others in different professions, and the ONLY career which had SAE on it was Foreign Language teacher!!!!!!! The lady said they letters didn't have to be in order, but it only means a better match if they are! SO I am thinking: WOW!!!! Is this really what I am meant to do??? Some of the careers also listed were social worker, and commercial artist. They said I was an extrovert and I got my energy from other people. Which, I thought was strange since I have social anxiety. But then my therapist explained it a little better to me.

Anyway, now I am thinking: should I be a Spanish teacher? But then when I told a friend of mine what I wanted to do, he laughed and said: WOW! I mean, an Indian Spanish Teacher...that's a bit outrageous....and that made me feel like a joke. I mean who WOULD hire an Indian Spanish teacher?? Am I being stupid?? GRRR!!I wish he hadn't said that!!!!! It was bothering me the whole time I was with him. He tried to smooth it over and make it sound like he thought it was cool and ambitious of me to want to do that profession, but the words were still said, and they hit me hard. So now, I'm confused again.....

By the way, I am thinking of taking some broadcasting classes on the side at the community college to get a job in that to help pay tuiton. I still love doing it and I have some skill, so why not use it?

[b]I feel like I want to do something different every week! I feel like a kid
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Neha!!

I think thats GREAT that your thinkin of all these things you want to be!! Listen dont worry bout what that goofball says about you being Indian and a Spanish teacher. Actually, (no offense here) but your being dark haired and eyed and dark skinned, they might think your mexican. Lots of people who have no hispanic in them whatsoever are spanish teachers...I think only one I had had any hispanic in her. I think you would make a VERY good spanish teacher. Maybe you could be a spanish broadcaster!!! Hey theres an idea!! It combines them. I think its wonderful that you know what you want!! Im still at a loss!!

Oh, Neha!

I'm sure you will be successful at anything you choose to do!! You will be good because you are so enthusiastic, and I would agree that you probably are an extrovert even though you may not think so. You obviously love people so you would be a great teacher (Spanish, High School, Kids, whatever). You would be able to get students really fired up and interested in your subject!!

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will involve being around people whether it is teaching, the Arts, broadcasting, or something else. If you want to be a Spanish teacher it doesn't matter what nationality you are or where you are from, as long as you can speak and teach Spanish, so don't let that bother you!!

My guess is that you won't let this phobia get the best of you because you are facing it head on, talking about it, getting good therapy - all the things necessary to fight it. I don't think it will get in the way of any career you choose.

You don't have to be in a big hurry to decide, although you are anxious to get all your ducks in a row. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Lots of people change their majors a couple of times before they settle on something. You still have plenty of time to do some exploring. You are good at lots of things so it may take time to find out what that perfect fit is.

Relax and enjoy your time off from school and all the pressure!!!!! Then you can go back to the decision making process with a fresh mind.</font>Edited by: giff1949
    Debbie

Who cares if you're an Indian Spanish teacher? I mean, the dude who laughed - was he Spanish? Probably some dumb Caucasian. So he'd be like - an English Spanish teacher...or a Scottish Spanish teacher. Whatever. People are idiots.

Pursue your dreams, Neha! Don't let anything ruin your life. If you go for what you want, it will motivate you even more to overcome the phobia. The older you get the more it will calm itself down anyway. And if you're a preschool teacher and kids throw up, you'll be scared for a few minutes, and then...what? Nothing! You will have been scared for a few minutes - that's it. Why destroy your dreams just for that? YOU CAN DO IT! I BELIEVE IN YOU!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

What difference does your ethnic background make to whether you can teach Spanish??? I've never known a language teacher to be teaching their 'native' language - it's always a second one that they have learnt. My best French teacher was Welsh - even English wasa second language to her. If you want to teach spanish, GO FOR IT. Teaching is the best thing (I've done a bit, informally, whilst working in secondary schools) - you will love it (and kids don't get sick as often as you think, especially at high school, and teachers don't deel with it anyway).

Best wishes Jill xxx

I'm with anyone else, it really makes no difference if you are an indian spanish teacher! All employers want to know is how well you can teach!!

I would love to work with little kids too but like you i'm scared of them getting sick. I think it would be worth it though, especially if you taught young kids, theres always a upport teacher who can help the sick children. I'd say go for it. Its great you are deciding what you want to do etc etc

(glad to see you back!!!)

I hope you tell your friend he doesnt' know what he's talking about! When I was in middle school the teacher who taught both French AND Spanish was a white lady. She was also evil but that is aside fromt he point. If he uses that line fo thinking then I guess the only teachers would be teachers who teach teaching lol I mean really if you are taking home ec, your teacher is OBVIOUSLY not a homemaker or he/she wouldnt' be in the class. If your'e taking Gov't your teacher isn't part of the government!It would also mean that no adult could teach kids since they are not kids! It's ridiculous!SHEESH! That is so closed minded and offensive!

Sorry, anyhow I know it's easy to say but trust yourself that you will make the right choices and that you DO have time before you have to say "OK this is it" and hey you cna ALWAYS go back to school and change careers later in life, there are no rules! My Mom did it, alot of people do, in fact I've heard of studies on how many tiems the average person changes careers (cant' remember the number) but it was more than once. Good luck!Edited by: SimplyMe
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi, Neha, what about going into the medical field as a psycritest (or however ya spell it), then you can listen to other peoples probles, and help them, espically is they are emet.If I hadnt already put so much into my bodyshop, thats what I should have done. Its a great feeling if you help a person when they have a prob!
    Now where\'s that crazy sheep at? Here sheeeepy sheeepy!

You guys are SOOO incredibly sweet for being behind me on this 200% and for having so much faith in me!! I thank you for all of your kind words of encouragement!!! It really brought me to tears! (As usual[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]) It feels great to have all of your support!!

**HUGS**

My friend is Hispanic. He's a very good friend of mine and we've been friends for a long time. I don't know why he said what he said. Maybe he was just suprised or shocked thatI went from being a mass media major to wanting to teach Spanish. Or maybe I overreacted? But I won't let his comment get to me. I've thought about it, and if anything, it'll only make me fight more and fight harder for what I want!! Maybe I will be the first Indian Spanish teacher in the school district I teach in...so what, right?? It's the skills that count!! And I do love the language!

Thank you all again SOO much!!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Heya Neha how ya doing?? haven't spoken to you for years

p.s. sorry i cudnt be around before to support you.. want to make up for it now [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneh

p.s. sorry i cudnt be around before to support you.. want to make up for it now [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Jen xxxx

Awwww Sweetie!!!

That's okay!!!! Just your being here now means alot!

I missed you too!!I had wondered why you weren't posting!!

*~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCsmile6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenneh

Jen xxxx

Awwww Sweetie!!!

That's okay!!!! Just your being here now means alot!

I missed you too!!I had wondered why you weren't posting!!

i konw... it twas a bummer to say the least. well, hope ur ok anyway. im having a break from revising, as its half term. but i got 6 AS exams wen i get back bleh &gt;.&lt;

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

I like teaching in spite of my phobia. And I always
    scored very high in the social and artistic aspects of those career
    tests too. If you want to be a teacher, I think you'd do a wonderful
    job. It's very rewarding work, and you definitely interact with people
    all day, every day. You have to be very kind and patient, and I don't
    know much about you, but you seem to have those qualities from what I
    do know. I think that you should go for it. It takes a very special
    person to actually want to be a teacher, I think- so many people go
    into it for bad reasons, like having the summer off or not being able
    to find another job. So if it is what you feel that you're meant to do,
    please go for it- the world needs more good teachers.

About the what your friend said- anyone can learn a language if they
    apply the time and effort, so why should it matter what your friend
    said? A school can't discriminate against hiring you because of
    something like that. Anyway, good luck!</font>

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

You go girl!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] I think it would be awsome. I am Native American and Polynesian and I took scotish dance lessons, learned French and married a caucasion.[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] Who cares. Now a days I think it would be awsome. NOT that it is anyones business but who will know that whether one of your parents wasn't Spanish.

I think if you can bring your enthusiasm into the classroom that it will teach a whole lot of kids a little more about having a little fun in school while learning. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

yeah, Neha, i think u defenietly have the right qualities/personality to be a teacher. i can tell, you're not only gnna care about the individuals studies, but the individuals themselves... and thats what makes the BEST teacher.

i wish u all the best and i know u can succeed.

Jen xxxx

MSN:

Awwww!! You guys are the sweetest people in the world!!! I love you all for being so supportive and encouraging!! Thank you ALL!!!

I am going to pursue this dream, and I will hopefully get to where I can be a teacher...a good one, not just one who assigns book work. I have so many ideas ofprojects to do in the classroom with my future students. I'm so goofy, I've come up with so many techniques to teach them and make Spanish fun!!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I've even gone as far as thinking of creating an anxiety/stress/dealingsupport group/club for the students in my future school. It was so hard for me to get through school, and I know firsthandthat having a suport system makes all the difference in the world!! I just hope I won't be stepped on!! Then there is the fear that they will say that I'm a witch!! Dont' want that either!!! People underestimate teachers!!! They do some of the most important work in the world and are highly underpaid and unappreciated!! I hope that changes someday!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Wow, that club is a fabulous idea!!!

If it makes any difference, my best friend is Indian and she is one of the most fluent Spanish speakers I have met! That whole thing is just ridiculous though - you can be whatever you want to be and we all know you'll do wonderfully!
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

Quote Originally Posted by siafi

Wow, that club is a fabulous idea!!!

If it makes any difference, my best friend is Indian and she is one of the most fluent Spanish speakers I have met! That whole thing is just ridiculous though - you can be whatever you want to be and we all know you'll do wonderfully!

Awww Ashleigh,

THANK YOU!! That did make me feel a whole lot better!!!! THANKS!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

*~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

aww NEHA you are gonig to be such a gr8 teacher!!!! u've thought that all thru ALREADY?!! Gosh, if only every teacher was like you!"!

im sure ur gnna be one of those teachers who everyone just LOVES and not one bad word is said about them!!!

ur such an inspiration [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Jen xxxx

MSN: