Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Restaurants and TV with Emetophobia

Does anyone else get super anxious whenever they go out to eat or when they see someone sick on TV?
    I just had these random thoughts because my anxiety is awful today and I have an idea as to why. I watch way too much Bar Rescue on Spike and a lot of the time before they fix the bars, the food will make one of the hosts v* or n*, and today that happened on the show and I have been anxious ever since.
    My boyfriend and I went to lunch and I watched a lady mess up a customer's burger toppings - he didn't want mustard and she put it on. She scraped it off the burger right back into the bucket and I nearly had a panic attack in the middle of the restaurant (my boyfriend literally had to hold me, I was hyperventilating so badly). I was so afraid I would get sick from something like that that had spoiled meat residue in it.

I also get very anxious when restaurants are really busy, because I am afraid that if a restaurant is too busy that a pissy manager will make a sick worker stay and work regardless.

Anyways - that's my story for the day. Does anyone else get really anxious eating out or watching people v* on TV?

Default Re: Restaurants and TV with Emetophobia

ok ewwwww at that mustard story. that is just.....ewww.

I watch bar rescue and kitchen nightmares every day and yeah, those scenes are gross and I turn away. I think you get desensitized though. it annoys me but doesn't haunt my thoughts. it's actually good exposure for you!!

Yeah. I got out to my car and called the manager and told him. I didn't mention her name or anything, I just wanted him to know and that I was worried someone will get sick. He was grateful and said he would take care of it right away.

But yeah. There are days it isn't as bad, and I do feel desensitized. Then some days I get really anxious and jittery over it.

I literally have my husband "pre-screen" movies/tv shows. And when he's seen a movie he knows I'll like, but it has a v-scene, he tells me when to look away and plug my ears.

Eew to the burger story! I don't tend to worry too much about the food when I'm out but if somewhere is crowded I do worry that someone may v. And I do get paranoid about checking if chickens cooked properly.
    I think I have managed to desensitise myself to v on the tv now, there are so many shows and films that have it in and it annoys me when it's for no apparent reason! I call it gratuitous v scenes!!! I tried to make myself watch things that I know have v in to get over my phobia but even on tv I get that instant anxious tightening of my stomach!

I call them "gratuitous V" scenes too! It happens so much in TV shows, it's ridiculous. I feel like every episode of something my husband and I watch, it happens. When I can tell it's coming (usually), I turn my head. Even though it doesn't bother me so terribly much, I just don't care to see it. Judging by the frequency, you'd think in real life "it" was happening left and right.

I'll turn my head or plug my ears, but I don't let it keep me from enjoying TV. The context helps a lot too. If it's not a reality show or real v* it's easier to watch. Or someone that v*s all the time (Like Steve O on Jackass) won't bother me. I'm mostly afraid now if it's something contagious to ME - my working in Daycare and now in an orthodontist office has desensitized me a lot.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I just remembered an episode of Come Dine With Me where the man cooking said the bowl he was using for mixing was his family's sick bowl!!! I was so mad on behalf of the people eating his food!!! I told my friend who didn't think it was a big deal as long as he'd washed it out, I was like wtf???!!! That's the most disgusting thing someone could do as far as I'm concerned, well one of the most disgusting anyway!!!