Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Will my doc prescribe zofran?

I KNOW the issue here is anxiety, but please here me out before reminding me.

I have IBS and GERD. I get nausea all the time for both, and my IBS causes me to vomit probably an average of once every two months (tooorture). And I still live with my little siblings, who are in elementary school and bring home several bugs (gastrointestinal and otherwise) home all the time.

I've found that having a plan is the best thing for my phobia. I had a minor surgery a while back, and had about ten Zofran tablets. Just having them there, I could stop thinking about vomiting. And I was pretty good and using them only in emergencies. But, I had a two week stomach bug and finished them off, and now I constantly think about what would happen if I got a bad IBS attack, or if I get a stomach bug. I only take it if ginger capsules/candy didn't work, and in the case of the two-week bug, I did both together (sweet, sweet relief). I can distinguish between real nausea and anxiety nausea, so I don't take it unless there's a real need. I believe I have the self control to not abuse it. Especially since it's so expensive!

It really relieved my anxiety, until I'm at a place where I am ready to take on therapy (CBT). I am worried though, nearly panicked for whatever reason, that my doctor will not prescribe it. I don't want to lie to him, so I'm just asking everybody else's opinion on it. Thanks

Default Re: Will my doc prescribe zofran?

Someone please respond because I am in the same boat. Would love some back up Zofran for just in case- especially as I go into college. It would be nice to know it's there, just in case.

I always have back up Zofran and other anti n meds.
    I suggest you ask your doctor for a prescription. I cannot think of any reason not to provide this for you.
    It is not a dangerous or addictive medication.

I've never been prescribed zofran, but it sounds like if you explain that you are vomiting that regularly from IBS, convincing your physician shouldn't be an issue. It's not like you're asking for an opiate or a benzo.

I also have never had meds for my emet or when I had morning sickness. Truthfully, I don't know how likely drs are to prescribe it. It seems that some are more likely than others. My dr would probably not so I don't ask. If knowing it is there helps you, than that is a good thing and a dr would like to hear that but may only prescribe a few at a time because the reasoning would be that you don't need 20 - 50 pills if just a few will do.

I was honest with my doctor and said Im afraid of nausea and V ,so can you please prescribe it to me. Ive had it prescribed by an OBGYN and a regular doctor.... doesn't hurt to ask!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

My obgyn was the one who prescribed my promethazane too. If your regularly v* from IBS then I think they would be much more likely to prescribe it

Honestly, you ought to consider something else than zofran for your nausea and v*. Domperidone might help and it is less dangerous, some other anti-emetics also are safer to take. I did get some prescribed once because I freaked out at the emergency room because a lady was v* there and I asked the doctor to please prescribe me one or two doses of zofran in case I caught her virus (she was curled up in a ball on the floor v* and moaning...so.. I didn't want to be that sick). So being honest about my phobia, I managed to get a small prescription. My regular doctor refuses to prescribe it to me, and my brother says I shouldn't take it (he's a doctor). So... it really depends. The lady at the ER took pity on me I guess, since I was all messed up from my accident and I was nearly in tears because I was so afraid of v*. I took it twice since, when I was feeling really ill. Yes, it eases the nausea, but I feel like crap for days afterwards because it really blocks you up. I usually take domperidone for my migraine headaches/digestion problems (which might be IBS related) and it works very well when I get nausea, so I prefer to take that instead when I can and I know it's not a virus but just my usual digestive issues. So you could also ask your doctor for that instead. It's not as effective for a stomach virus, but it does help.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Honestly, you ought to consider something else than zofran for your nausea and v*. Domperidone might help and it is less dangerous, some other anti-emetics also are safer to take. I did get some prescribed once because I freaked out at the emergency room because a lady was v* there and I asked the doctor to please prescribe me one or two doses of zofran in case I caught her virus (she was curled up in a ball on the floor v* and moaning...so.. I didn't want to be that sick). So being honest about my phobia, I managed to get a small prescription. My regular doctor refuses to prescribe it to me, and my brother says I shouldn't take it (he's a doctor). So... it really depends. The lady at the ER took pity on me I guess, since I was all messed up from my accident and I was nearly in tears because I was so afraid of v*. I took it twice since, when I was feeling really ill. Yes, it eases the nausea, but I feel like crap for days afterwards because it really blocks you up. I usually take domperidone for my migraine headaches/digestion problems (which might be IBS related) and it works very well when I get nausea, so I prefer to take that instead when I can and I know it's not a virus but just my usual digestive issues. So you could also ask your doctor for that instead. It's not as effective for a stomach virus, but it does help.
    So why do they prescribe zofran to pregnant women? I'm truly curious, I haven't ever had zofran that I know of (I had something prescribed to me as a teen) I have promethazane right now, is that safer? I'm like you and hate to take it because I feel so groggy for about 24 hrs with just a half a pill

I was honest with my doctor about my phobia (also I gave her a note from my therapist explaining my anxiety) and she prescribed me 4mg Zofran. Idk how often you're supposed to take it safely, but it's always nice to have around just in case to ease your mind I would ask if I were you!

Smile Re: Will my doc prescribe zofran?

Quote Originally Posted by arried View Post
    I was honest with my doctor about my phobia (also I gave her a note from my therapist explaining my anxiety) and she prescribed me 4mg Zofran. Idk how often you're supposed to take it safely, but it's always nice to have around just in case to ease your mind I would ask if I were you!
    Hi,

It is good to know that your doc was willing to listen and to prescribe Zofran. It is usually prescribed in 4 mg doses and I have found that this is enough for me if I am feeling N. It sits under the tongue and dissolves and it does not taste too bad, mainly sweet with a little bitterness. Emotionally, I feel better having meds should I need them, and I don't need them often.

It is not for motion sickness - use Bonine or Dramamine. I use Bonine if I am going to be in a car for a long time or a plane. It does not cause too much drowsiness whereas Dramamine knocks me out.

Hope this works out for you.

Depends which country you're in too. On the NHS in the part of the uk where I live zofran's not medically licensed for anything but hyperemesis and chemotherapy patients so there's absolutely no way of getting it.