Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

There is a bad stomach 'flu' going around. I hate hearing that. When someone says it it triggers me to ask questions like "where is it, is it bad." And of course I get some of the details that I hate. Like "It lasts for 48 hours" and the v* is real bad.

Some of our patients were complaining ofupset stomachs and some a loose stools. I am not freaking too bad and dont really know why.

So I guess its "RAMPANT" here.[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

Anyone else HATE this but cannot resist asking questions about it.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

What I want to know is where all this sh*t comes from.[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

I have come to the conclusion that I am in the WRONG profession. I need to do something else[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Mainly, where all this sh*t comes from is sh*t itself. Wonderful unhygenic people don't wash their hands after wiping their asses, and then touch everything, so anyone else who touches the surface and then touches their face can catch the lovely virus too.

Wow, I sound really sarcastic and p*ssed off. I think it's 'cause hearing this crap is going around scares me. And I deal with germy little kids all the time, b/c every family who comes to court has to bring 7 assorted children, cousins, nieces, nephews, grandkids, whatever. Grrr!!!
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

No, you aren't being sarcastic you are telling the truth. People who are sick dont know how to stay home or parents send there kids to school sick and then there you go! Everyone gets it.

I hate these viruses...they are getting worse too![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

Here we go again Debbie! I haven't heard anything like that here but I have to tell you my stomach is feeling sick right now. I cant be sick because tomorrow the 24th my parents arecoming over for supper for my moms and my birthday. I hate this weather. I try to stay to myself so I don't hear any of this.
    Remember when we chatted about you changing professions!!! I do think you are great for doing the job you do.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Man.. I hate this time of year.. That's all anyone wants to talk about anywhere. You hear it in the grocery store, at work... etc. It's like what is people's problem? I don't walk around telling everyone (except on here and that's a whole other story) every ailment my family has. Like, when you hear the checkout girl or something talking about puking her guts out. It's just not right.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I would rather NOT now. Our family actually got tummy bugs twice in the summer. Maybe we will be spared the winter.

I heard this one nurse saying "Oh yea its all over, my husband has it right now and it knocked him DOWN.

These virus that come out this time of year pi$$ me off. I mean why are they getting worse. And they are. You never heard of this stuff a long time ago. It must be stomach virus mating season all year round[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img].

I wish people would just NOT tell me about it. I do much better.

Oh Thanks for letting me vent.[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

Ontariogirl-sorry I havent pm'd you. I have been so so busy. I still need a new profession...the problems is where do I go that pays better?

Everyone always tells me to get into the medical profession because of the pay, so you've stumped me with that question. What if you just went into like lab work at a hospital or draw blood all day? It's tough.. That's one thing that keeps me at my job now.. Limited contact with the public. I even do my college online. I do my best to keep away from people! haha!

\"This too shall pass\"

Haha I was in a sparshop a few weeks ago, (Yes I actually set foot in one!! - do.. occasionally now whilst takin many anti emetics) haha neway and the checkout girl on the other till (thankfully fairly far away, but not outta earshot) was practically shouting to her off duty collegue at the other end of the que about how she "really wasnt feeling too well" and "would you like to work today so i can go home??" UGH! What is WRONG with these people??

Then being paranoid as I am I came home n didnt touch the pop Id brought for like 2 days haha cuz the other checkout girl might have touched the sick one, or something shed touched.. n then she touched the bottles n I figured two days was long enough for things to die anyway, its COLD in my room lol. n I didnt even know whether the first checkout girl was sick, or just whining cuz she hada cold or something but LORD the things we do.... and WHY do they feel the need to share with the world? Id have been quite happy not knowing anythin about her being ill. REALLY happy in fact. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Iknow whatcha mean. Everytime I talk to someone they say someone has a SV. Then I ask all sorts of questions...and then try to stay away from these people as much as possible.

I didnt even go to my nephews birthday party over the weekend b.c I was told my little niece was V* all the day before. Ick!

So many people are discusting and unsanitary. People dont wash their hands. They give germs to everyone else.

Im like you...I wish people would just shut up and not say anything about it. But then again...I would hate it if someone was acutally sick and I caught it b.c they dindt tell me. Ugh!

This is why I always stay at home now.
    *Mandi*

Sigh... Can't believe it's time for all this again. I haven't heard anything about it here yet, and I hope it stays the f*** away!!!!!!

I always think I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time to hear people talking about "it" going around. I wonder if it's all the chemicals and anti-bacteria stuff they make now that has made these things more potent. You know, all these bugs feel that they have to survive and so they mutate into some version that is resiliant to the cleaners we use and become stronger???? Or is it the weather??? Or is it the media??? Or is it that people think every single stomach thing is a virus? Ugh.... [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

All of the above probably, I was thinking the same thing about the resistance to all these sanitizer and everything too. I haven't heard anything hear yet (hawaii) except a classmate of my son when home with a tummy ache today (yikes!)
    ~Sheri~

Off topic, but sheri-baby, I am sooooo envious that you're in Hawaii and I'm here in North Dakota.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Well....although the weather is great year round......I really miss the cold around the holidays....the grass is always greener! Hopefully you can come for a visit!
    ~Sheri~

No matter where we live or the type of weather we have, the SV go around the Nothern Hemisphere from Oct to Apr. To avoid it, you would have to live in the Southern Hemisphere during that period and come back here from May to September.

I think the main reason the viruses spread more now than ever is that people send children back to school way too soon. Parents have to work and their employers are not very understanding when they have sick kids. Hell, the employers don't care if the employee is V****. They still want them to come to work.

Stella

I know I get more and more out-to-lunch the farther I get from getting rid of this phobia....but I wonder if there's anything helpful (esp. for those of you doing cognitive therapy) in looking back over your old posts, or those of others for years and years. What I mean is - at this time of year, every year, for years and years you hear people saying this. Yet you don't catch anything or get sick for years and years. So....maybe people saying it is actually NOT indicative of IT coming to get you. Maybe IT is just not as bad, or as prevalent as everyone says. Maybe even though it is, it doesn't affect you anyway.

I dunno. Talk this over with your therapist!

(And don't worry about silly people harping about bugs....it's the same every year and always will be!)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What pisses me off the most is when someone introduces
    themselves to you and shakes your hand and then apologizes they are
    late for the meeting because they were barfing their brains out with
    the ebolasuperbirdflu.</font>

Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron
    What pisses me off the most is when someone introduces themselves to you and shakes your hand and then apologizes they are late for the meeting because they were barfing their brains out with the ebolasuperbirdflu.

[img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]- ebolasuperbirdflu...I am going to take that to work with me!

Oh yea...About the viruses mutating due to our antimicrobial society...SO TRUE. Exactly right[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Oh gosh! Do you really think that's true?[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]
    ~Sheri~

Right, I don't think that what people say about things going around is really worth listening to.

Or even the news: Here's an example - one of the local news stations here in Houston has a segment that is actually called "what's going around." They show a picture of a doctor and then they list what illnesses said doctor has been seeing in his or her office that week. They show up to five doctors.It says practically the same s*** almost every week for almost every doctor no matter what season it is.

Occasionally, you'll have the one odd ball doctor who saw a case of pneumonia or whatever, but usually it's "colds," "stomach flu," blah, blah, blah, blah. When I see this, I'm like, huh? And we're supposed to learn what from this?? Useless non-information as far as I can tell: Or in the words of Macbeth, "a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Sorry I am a real cynic.

edited to add: And here I thought that people here were just too polite to write out curse words and therefore inserted asterisks. But hmmmm.... it appears that the forum censors my writing of the word "s***." I am amused by this. I bet some people wish it would do that for the v word.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

I know I get more and more out-to-lunch the farther I get from getting rid of this phobia....but I wonder if there's anything helpful (esp. for those of you doing cognitive therapy) in looking back over your old posts, or those of others for years and years. What I mean is - at this time of year, every year, for years and years you hear people saying this. Yet you don't catch anything or get sick for years and years. So....maybe people saying it is actually NOT indicative of IT coming to get you. Maybe IT is just not as bad, or as prevalent as everyone says. Maybe even though it is, it doesn't affect you anyway.

I dunno. Talk this over with your therapist!

(And don't worry about silly people harping about bugs....it's the same every year and always will be!)
    Edited by: japa

Quote Originally Posted by japa

I bet some people wish it would do that for the v word. </font>

The forum can actually be set up to do that. You can replace any word you specify with something else, even the emoticons.

Interesting to hear about that news segment though. I can't believe
    they do that. I kind of wish they's do a surverillance website for SV
    like they do for flu.