Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey gang!!

I was wondering, how many of you do NOT like to spend the night away from home at someone elses house or even at say camp?? I know for me, I can do it, but its not easy. I dont like being away from the security and safety and familiarity of home...and I do kinda get anxious about being sick away from home and stuff. Its easier for me if I have like my own room. I can remember camp as a kid, and how hard it was staying away from home with a room full of other kids. I don't think I'll ever like that....I mean Im old enough to not do camp anymore (Im over 20) but like I remember being a camp counselor and having to spend some nights with the kids....that was REAL hard...partly cause I cannot STAND kids and it was kids 24/7, and also just the anxiety that comes with being in an unfamiliar place. Also I had a bad experience sleepin over at my aunts house...almost was sick...and I just do not like it. Anyone else like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel

Hey gang!!

I was wondering, how many of you do NOT like to spend the night away from home at someone elses house or even at say camp?? I know for me, I can do it, but its not easy. I dont like being away from the security and safety and familiarity of home...and I do kinda get anxious about being sick away from home and stuff. Its easier for me if I have like my own room. I can remember camp as a kid, and how hard it was staying away from home with a room full of other kids. I don't think I'll ever like that....I mean Im old enough to not do camp anymore (Im over 20) but like I remember being a camp counselor and having to spend some nights with the kids....that was REAL hard...partly cause I cannot STAND kids and it was kids 24/7, and also just the anxiety that comes with being in an unfamiliar place. Also I had a bad experience sleepin over at my aunts house...almost was sick...and I just do not like it. Anyone else like this?

Hey Twin!!

What you said describes me perfectly!!! I mean, I feel the exact same way about sleeping over and spending the night away from home!! I couldn't have put it better myself!

I remember my ex best friend wanting me to sleepover all the time, but I wasn't too enthusiasitic about the idea. I would lay awake in fear and wait for the deed to strike. I remember laying there at night in my sleeping bag, watching everyone else asleep, wishing I too, could fall asleep and not have to worry about these petty things.It was always hard for me to stay over at someone's house ever since I was very young due to my asthma problems, but when I grew up, things got better, but I hesitated because of many of the reasons you mentioned. I usually had my friends stay over at my house, so I could be at home where I was safe.

I never did the camp thing, and I don't think I would be able to. I love kids, but I still wouldn't do so well away from home. I would suffer major separation anxiety issues. I'm really really attatched to things that are familiar and places that are familiar as well.

Also, I wanted to add that I HAVE to have my own room!! I CANNOT share with anyone!! LOL!!How selfish I know!Thank goodness I haven't had to share a roomyet...Gee, if I ever get married, my husband is going to be driven up the wall!![img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

*~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Actually... yes...

I'm so much better about it now having lived in the college dorms for a year, but I really do find it quite difficult to sleep anywhere other than my house, even outside of my own room. I like the familiarity, the comfort, I like sleeping in my own bed and the safety of knowing that my parents are downstairs and often my brother(s) right in the next room. I'm always terrified when they leave to take my younger bro back to DUKE and I have to stay alone... every little noise makes me jump.

When I was little I hated going to stay at anyone's house. I would often times wake up crying from homesickness... but I always made it. I used to hate going on vacation and being away from my house for a long period of time. I love camping for a night or two, but then I'm ready to go home.

Like I said though, I am getting much better. I love going to the beach and staying at the beach house and I love camping.... but for some reason I HATE hotels. It takes hours for me to fall asleep in a hotel and I just never can get comfortable.

Living in the dorms for my freshman year(I'm getting ready to start my senior year at UK) really did help a lot. I never stayed over the weekends though, mainly because hardly anyone does and also because my grandmother was very ill. I would typically leave on Thursday or Friday night and come back Sunday night or Monday morning so I would sleep in the dorms on average 3-4 nights a week. It really helped me. I rarely had trouble sleeping there except for the first month or so, and then I did okay. I'm now living back at home and I'm much more comfortable.

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

I used to be ok doing sleepovers and parties and stuff with people I knew and trusted but now there's always alcohol around. Personally I don't touch the stuff, but from stories I've been told, some of the people in my class can get completely drunk and throw up, and they're only 14 or 15! So it's not even legal. And they don't usually have adults there so I can't like get a lift home if my mum can't come.

Yup. Definitely!!! I hated sleepovers (and still do) when I was younger!!! I hated not being at home, and not being in my bed.

As I've gotten older though, and I have lived on my own, I have found myself in situations where I'll stay at a friends, or family members and I didn't panick about it.

But theres nothing like your own bed!!!!

I know what you guys mean!! I was fine (for some odd reason) when I was in boarding school and my best friend was my roommate, but then when I came to college everything changed. I think what might have triggered my situation and made everything worse was that my roommate got drunk one night and threw up all over! After that, everytime she would come in the room at night I would get all panicky thinking that she was going to throw up again. This year I was lucky to have my own room and bathroom (living in a flat), but I am still nervous when my flatmmates go out and then come back because I can hear things in the bathroom and I always think they are being sick.

I volunteer as a first aider which involves going to balls where there is a lot of alchohol and by like 1 am everyone is just collapsing everywhere drunk. I have to help these people up and hold bags open while they are sick....it is so awful but I love the rest of first aiding so I don't want to give it up!! The anxiety can be unbearable at times though!

This summer I am working at a riding stables as a teacher for little kids on ponies. The lessons take place after lunch and I am so scared that the combination of food and the pace of trotting will make the kids sick all over the ponies!! (and possibly me if I am leading the ponies!). I know this sounds terrible and I REALLY hope that I am being very irrational!!!

Hiya,

I always tried my best to be normal and that around my friends when i was younger simply because i didnt know that other people had this phobia as well, so i would often agree to go to sleepovers and such but really really dread going, and I would feel so bad the whole time i was there. I guess it was good in a way becuz i was facing my fear and that but stil, it was horrible at the time.

Nowadays, I think that I could stay over at someone elses house - but i wouldnt look forward to the occasion lol. I did go on holiday with my primary school wen i was 11 and it was alright... apart from this one girl was sick every single day we were there - thankfully she didnt share my room lol.

I agree with u, my home is my safe place - and i feel a sense of relief wen i return home after being out all day or something. What i learned from my counsellor last year at the beginning of my help was to develop as many safe places as possible. Which has helped LOADS! Even my WORK is now a safe place for me - how bizarre is that!!

Rachel xxx

Hey guys !

Hey Guys,

I remember going to a slumber party during the summer and the party was in the backyard, we were all sleeping in a tent ! Well, the Birthday girl got sick and puked while we were all in the tent ! GROSSS ! I am 33 and will remember that forever !

Kristen

I can handle overnights - but I get a little edgy if they're too far away from home because it would be tough to get home if I were sick or if someone else v*ed. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

I never had a problem when I was a kid with sleepovers and stuff, my emet didn't get bad til I was an adult. I have a big problem with staying at someone's house, esp. because we live 5 hours away from our parents and we go home every so often and have to stay with some family. I am paranoid the entire time I'm there thinking that someone's going to get sick when I'm there. There are a couple times that drinking was involved and someone got sick, and those times make it so difficult to take the edge off even now. It's almost like I expect it each time or something. I worry about the same thing when someone comes to stay over at my house, that they'll get sick.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I hate sleeping over. My friends try and get me to visit them at uni and spend the night sleeping on their bedroom floor, but I could never do that! I'd be so worried. It wouldn't be as bad if I had my own room, but it would still be really hard.
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

Oh i used to hate sleeping over with a real passion!! There were a few friends whose houses i didnt mind staying at, but 9 times out of 10 I would say no and not go. Not because i was scared of them throwing up that much, just that i didn't like to be out of my safe enviroment (still don't) and used to worry about waking up feeling ill.

Now i think maybe i am doing better. If i wake up feeling sick i still have to get up and go outside, just the cool air and being outside helps to calm me a lot. I stayed at a B&B in London (even shared a room with someone) which is not something i thought i could do. But because i was honest with her about the fact i might get panicked i felt like a weight was lifted, it meant i wouldnt be panicking and trying to hide it (which is damn hard!) and in turn i also did not panic.

I think Also for me it is a control thing. In my home and my space I am in control of what happens around me and what i do or not. But in someone elses space i feel less in control.

All that said, i am going to stay with a friend for a week soon so wish me luck!! lol
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I ALWAYS hated as a child spending the nite/sleepovers at other peoples homes. I remember my friends always would ask me Why dont you ever come to my house? Man some of these posts really bring back memories, I forgot how tramatic childhood was!!

LOL

-Lisa

yeah... now that im 17, so im kinda leaving the whole teenage period of ur life behind, it doesnt matter quite so much.. but i HATE sleeping over other people's houses... cos if i was to v* 1.) they'd hear me 2.) i'd feel unsafe 3.) they'd fuss over me...

im ok doing sleepoves at my house, because i can run away nd hide if i was to become ill, lol.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Yeah I hear you! I've been having to spend the weekends at my Gramma's house, and its always hard for me, even for one nite away. Its like this trial that I have to get thro, all those hours of the nite looming before me...and I always dread, what if I wake up in the nite and feel sick, where do I go? What do I do?

I think this one time at my Aunts scared the crap outta me, and well I've always been paraniod, but this made it worse. We spent the nite over there for Christmas, and me and my cousin and her friend and my uncle and other cousin were spendin the nite in this house across the street from my aunts, and the lady who lived there previous had just died, so it was kinda odd. But I went to bed feeling fine, then my stomach started to hurt, and they all were sleeping, and man I had the WORST nausea and I even gagged a few times, I really thought I was gonna be sick, and here I am in this unfamiliar place, with my cousin and her friend on the floor next to me, and I got up, and went into the kitchen (the only sorta "safe" place) and basically paced the whole nite. It was absolutely horrible, I didn't really eat the next day, and I told dad about it, but he didnt seem to care at all, he just frowned at me and was like "that was last night, you can eat now". Thankfully we went home that day. Its just that happening made me feel REAL unsafe, and I just HATE that panicky trapped feeling when your in someone elses home like that. Im very glad no one woke up, or I Would have felt foolish, but I was so scared and misreable. I know if I was sick at home, I could handle it. I would still freak some, but I could deal much better I know.

Well, I suppose I can handle staying over at peoples houses overnight,
    or them coming here, but I do worry about it a lot. Same with camp. I
    love everything about camp, but I still get worried that someone will
    throw up during the night. Just two nights ago I slept in a tiny tent
    with 12 other of my friends, and I didn't worry too much, but I had to keep asking people if they felt sick or not.
    -Anna

Well, I don't worry as much about other people being sick, I worry more that *I* would get sick or feel sick.

clearly you've hit a nerve here...i used to have problems with it when i was younger, and moving out of my mom's took several attempts, but i'm good now. still would prefer to be in my own bed, but hey, who wouldn't?
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Quote Originally Posted by Galadriel
    Well, I don't worry as much about other people being sick, I worry more that *I* would get sick or feel sick. </font>
    Hmm... I tend to worry that other people will get sick. I can usually
    keep myself from getting sick, leaving me to worry about the other
    people.

-Anna

I worry about both. I worry that others would get sick, but I mostly worry that I would get sick, and I wouldn't know what to do.
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

I cant do it anymore, period. Not even my boyfriend whose the only person in real who Ive really talked to about emet.

I dont even like having people stay over at mine anymore to be honest...

... used to love it.. as a kid we had sleepovers every weekend, sometimes twice a weekend... it was the highlight of our week. I dont really know what happened.. never had a bad expirience that I remember.I just outgrew it n went off it.. n now i started with panic attacks n i cant do it atall... what wasted oppertunities. Hard to believe that less than a year ago I went n stayed in london with a bunch of ppl I hardly knew, n 2 years before that I moved to Windemere to share a room with 4 girls Id never met before...