Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Conflicting Info

So the Mayo Clinic site (which I would consider a reliable source) claims that someone with an sv* is contagious BEFORE symptoms start. That conflicts with what I always thought, and I wonder how that is possible. I thought it was only present in v* and d*? How could it spread before that starts- in an infected person's stool, since the virus is in the intestines? So confusing!

I just wish people would wash their hands properly after using the restroom! It would solve a lot of problems.

Default Re: Conflicting Info

I've heard that too, it is apparently in the stool before symptoms start which is why families sometimes come down with the virus within hours of each other, it has already been spread by the infected person. There is an American doctor who has a blog online and she insists that noro is present in saliva of an infected person. This is why I am always very careful when out and about and obsessively hygienic 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca1976 View Post
    I've heard that too, it is apparently in the stool before symptoms start which is why families sometimes come down with the virus within hours of each other, it has already been spread by the infected person. There is an American doctor who has a blog online and she insists that noro is present in saliva of an infected person. This is why I am always very careful when out and about and obsessively hygienic 24/7.
    Oh no!
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I also believe that's truth. I think it's present in saliva. I was always wondering why are everyone here so convinced it's not transmitted through saliva.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I've always thought that it doesn't spread via saliva (I even did a post of it today) but it seems that some blood-types are more likely to have the virus "bind" to their saliva, B type being the least likely, though I'm not sure if this "binding" takes place before after symptoms appear. It has not proven nor disproven if it is spread this way according to a couple of articles that I've read, although they all seem to say that people aren't contagious until onset of symptoms.

Just a little happy note that I read: it also said that 30% of people in the world are asymptomatic to norovirus! Hopefully we all are! I also read that using alcohol based hand sanitizers like Purell are no more likely to kill Noro than rinsing your hands with water. Yikes!

Also, anytime that you get information off of the internet, it's a good idea to read articles that end in .gov or .edu, then you know that the information is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    I also read that using alcohol based hand sanitizers like Purell are no more likely to kill Noro than rinsing your hands with water. Yikes!.
    I've read that rinsing your hands is actually BETTER than using Purell, because the water will wash away some of the viral particles, whereas Purell doesn't reduce the count.

My company does a lot of business with schools and healthcare facilities, and apparently quat-based cleaning products kill the virus. There is also evidence that your standard bottle of hydrogen peroxide has some killing power.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    I've always thought that it doesn't spread via saliva (I even did a post of it today) but it seems that some blood-types are more likely to have the virus "bind" to their saliva, B type being the least likely, though I'm not sure if this "binding" takes place before after symptoms appear. It has not proven nor disproven if it is spread this way according to a couple of articles that I've read, although they all seem to say that people aren't contagious until onset of symptoms.

Just a little happy note that I read: it also said that 30% of people in the world are asymptomatic to norovirus! Hopefully we all are! I also read that using alcohol based hand sanitizers like Purell are no more likely to kill Noro than rinsing your hands with water. Yikes!

Also, anytime that you get information off of the internet, it's a good idea to read articles that end in .gov or .edu, then you know that the information is correct.
    I hope that's me! I've never had a stomach bug in my adult life (knock on wood) only one was when I was around 7. Soup and water is the best way to "kill" it, really your rinsing it off your hands. Purell doesn't have an effect on it.

Strange... I kissed my husband on the lips several times just 3 hours before he came down with Noro this past spring. I know for a fact it was Noro.

I think noro is the lottery from hell, it picks it's victims at random. I'm b positive and had a mild form of noro when all around me were hugging buckets. Who really knows, we emets probably know as much info as the experts. The only sites I trust on any medical matters is the NHS web side or the US CDC. After watching the news this morning noro looks like a walk in the park compared to Ebola, hoping and praying it doesn't spread to the rest of the world.

There seem to be conflicting reports online about whether or not it's in saliva. I really hope it isn't! I figure if it's just in stool and V, my handwashing and other obsessive behaviors are keeping me pretty much in the clear. But if it's in saliva, couldn't someone sneeze or cough, or even just sigh and breathe out microscopic particles, and transmit noro? That is too stressful to even contemplate!

I know, it is a little worrying to say the least. What I don't understand is why some people get a sv once or twice a year and some people hardly ever, it cant all be down to good hygiene. I know about the blood group theory but b blood group has far less immunity to the most popular strain of noro around the world now, GI4. A and B blood types had partial immunity to GI2.

I know what you mean, some people seem to be sick all the time and I never get anything (knock on wood) besides my normal digestive issues.