Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How often does emetophobia affect your life?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rarely

1 2.17%
  • Once or twice a week

10 21.74%
  • Almost everyday

18 39.13%
  • Every decision I make!

17 36.96%

Default How often does emetophobia affect your life?

It always affects my life
    Do not fear: I am with you; do not be anxious: I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

-Isaiah 41:10

Default Re: How often does emetophobia affect your life?

It definitely depends on what stage in my life I’m in. If you had asked this in January-March, I would have selected every decision I make, but currently it’s once or twice a week (if not slightly less than that).

Almost every day it effects me. Like today I was at the mall and started getting anxious while in a store. I had NO reason to be anxious but it was just that nagging "what if I am sick" thought in my head and I had to leave. Annoying because I was trying to film something with my phone (don't ask) and I had to cut the video short bc I was starting to feel sick.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Too many times a day to count :P

Id say emet is a part of my daily life in that it's always around. That said, there are days when it's just background noise and other days it's front and center.
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I am constantly aware of how I feel. My biggest fear is actually vomiting, so I do worry about food poisoning and sick people. It gets in the way of fun that I could otherwise have. I loved roller coasters when I was a kid, but now I am afraid to get on one for fear of vomiting. Same thing with skydiving and learning to fly a plane.

It does not affect my life anymore as I had treatment for it so I put rarely.

Used to be every day though and felt nauseus a lot. I had so many coping and avoidance behaviors.

That's fantastic that you've had successful treatment Ricky. What was it?

Until recently it used to be constantly every day, but less often now. Before my daughter had a horrible bug October to Christmas were my worst times.

Nearly every minute of every day.

Hello Pogopig

I had CBT that really helped with some of my coping behaviors and anxiety. The I read and followed the thrive program and that got rid of it.I didn't use their consultants though I just did all the exercise thoroughly everyday. It really worked for me. How about you have you tried treatment or therapy?

Hi Ricky thanks for replying. I've had a fair amount of CBT but I've never felt that therapists properly understand the phobia. I've tried hard with CBT I really have but all it's done is take the edge off the fear. I'm still terrified of being sick and it's ruining my life.

I've heard of the Thrive programme but I'm suspicious of it. Only because there's lots of stuff about it on the internet but nobody will tell you what it is. It's all 'yes it's amazing, it's cured me. Now give me a load of money and I'll tell you about it.' I don't know, maybe I'll look into it. I'd certainly be happy to pay if it got rid of this stupid fear. I'm glad it's worked for you.

Well I saw the book for £20 quid on amazon, pretty cheap to just try and see if it works if you ask me.

I worked very hard on the CBT and constantly did and still do behavioral experiments.

I have no affiliations with the book, I tried it, work hard on all the exercises and it really did reduce it. But again I put a hell of a lot of effort it, like using visualization.

I have it EVERY day of my life, its starting to get better but it sucks. Today I've had it bad...

I dont know if you guys have ever tried Harry Potter Jelly Beans but they have some seriously weird tastes.

Dirt
    Sausage
    Vomit
    Rotten Egg
    Soap
    Ear Wax
    and more.

I tried the Rotten Egg one for shits and giggles, well the whole entire rest of my night I have had that God awful taste in my mouth and I constantly think about it and I'm afraid that I'm gonna v* I am freaking out, have been freaking all night.

I practically jug Pepto Bismol daily, but not quite.