Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi!

I go see a therapist twice a week (about other things not emet) and this week I was supposed to see her three times a week because I missed one appointment about two weeks ago. I was supposed to see her today, tomorrow and Thursday but she called me today and said she's sick. She didn't say what she has but she kept saying "this sort of thing normally passes in a day or two" so I'm pretty sure it's a stomach bug. She knows I'm afraid of vomiting and I think that's why she didn't say that she has a stomachbug.

If she doesn't call me again tomorrow to tell me she'sstill sick then I'm going to see her tomorrow. If I do of course I'llbe nervous about catching it and her possibly vomiting int he middle of our session. I normally shake hands with her when I go in and when I'm leaving. I wouldn't want to do this if she's had a stomach bug the day before but I don't wanna be ridiculous either. Do you think I should just ask her if she had a stomach bug and not shake hands with her if she did? If one of us is sick we normally say we're sick (like have a cold) and don't shake hands.

I just wanted to ask whatother people woulddo in this situation. Thanks.

Tiina

While the shaking hands thing is up to you, definitely tell her how you're feeling over this!
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

SHe's your therapist, I'm sure she'll understand
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Oh, of course you tell her how you feel. There's no question about it. YOu have to be honest in therapy about your feelings, or you can't get any help. Even if you're not seeing her specifically for emet, you need to tell her about it anyway. And ask her if she had a stomach virus, tell her that it frightens you, and say you feel anxious about shaking her hand -- the whole works.

YES tell her everything that is going on in your mind! that is what she
    is there for. and if you shake hands, wash them right after you leave
    on the way out.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Hi!

Thanks for your replies. She knows that I'm really afraid of throwing up and I think that might be why she didn't say what's wrong with her if she has a stomach bug. If she doesn't cancel again tomorrow I think I'm gonna ask her if she had a stomach bug before I shake hands with her although that's kind of embarrassing.

My therapist is really understanding so I'm not worried about her reaction if I don't wanna shake hands with her if she had/has a stomach bug. But it's just kind of embarrassing I think to "have to" do that.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, if I have therapy or not. I just hope I won't work myself into a panic if she doesn't cancel.

This shaking hands thing confuses me? R u not more likely to catch
    an SV from breathing in germs than shaking someones hand? I have
    always been under the impression that its inhaling air particles that
    infects you?
    Does anyone know which is more likely?

I think you're more likely to get it if you breathe it in. I remember staying away from my sister when she was sick...I mean AVOIDING her like the plague and I never got sick. Then again it could be physical contact...I'm not sure.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

It's o.k. that it's embarrassing to tell her. I cannot count how many things that I was embarrassed to absolutely ashamed to tell my therapist. You're bound to experience discomfort telling her stuff if you are truly trying to be genuine. And then she will see in action how the phobia affects you so that she will have more insight into you and your life.

For some reason, I question whether she would hide the fact of a stomach bug from you since she knows you are phobic. You could even tell her that you suspect that. The reason I question it is because I would tend to think that my therapist was thinking such and such or that she had done something for reason x. When I told her, I would often find out that I was completely mistaken and had projected things onto her that were not really there. The tendency for emets to project this idea that she must be hiding a stomach bug sounds likely. Also my therapist seldom shared personal information with me, so if she had been out of the office, the most she would ever tell me is that it was vacation or whatever. Once I asked her where she went on vacation, and she was like, "To the mountains." Can't get too much vaguer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiina

Hi!

Thanks for your replies. She knows that I'm really afraid of throwing up and I think that might be why she didn't say what's wrong with her if she has a stomach bug. If she doesn't cancel again tomorrow I think I'm gonna ask her if she had a stomach bug before I shake hands with her although that's kind of embarrassing.

My therapist is really understanding so I'm not worried about her reaction if I don't wanna shake hands with her if she had/has a stomach bug. But it's just kind of embarrassing I think to "have to" do that.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, if I have therapy or not. I just hope I won't work myself into a panic if she doesn't cancel.

Japa I didn't mean that my therapist would actually try to HIDE that she had a stomach bug but I thought maybe she didn't wanna tell me cause she didn't wanna feed my fear. Know what I mean? She did have a stomach bug and she didn't shake hands with me. When I went in she said she wouldn't shake my hand cause she was sickbut she said she was not contagious anymore. I don't know if that's true or not cause I don't know if you're only contagious as long you have symptoms.

I was not wanting to shake hands with her because I was worried that then I might have germs on my hands and then if I took some gum out of the package with my hands that I might catch it. I use antibacterial stuff before I get gum out of the package with my hands but I don't know if I trust it to kill the germs/stomach bug viruses.

That's not a very comforting thing if you can catch a stomach bug by inhaling virus particles in. But can you catch it from somebody just by being in the same room and breathing the same air? I guess that's why some of you avoid crowds and stuff. I used to not even think about it but now I'm starting to worry about catching it when I'm in a crowd. I haven't had one in such a long time that I haven't even been thinking about catching one that much but now I'm starting to worry about being in crowds.

Anyway...I hope somebody can tell me if you can catch it from just breathing the same air as somebody who has it. I mean I guess they would have to sneeze or cough or something but still....

again I'd like to say you CAN'T catch a stomach bug through the air. It is a stomach and intestinal illness and you catch it through contact with people who have it ie kissing or if they haven't washed their hands. See this post for more info http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=5766&am p;am p;am p;am p;PN=1

Norwalk DOES have particles that go in the air but only if you are around someone while THEY V*, of you are in the same room as someone who has had it you won't get it, if you share a drink/spit/bodily fluids then you can. Thats why handwashing is important and the best way to prevent catching it. Being in a crowd won't make you get it nor will talking to someone who has V* unless of course they are one of those messy talkers who spit at ya hehe

"The virus can be spread by direct contact with an infected person (for example, kissing or shaking hands) or by sharing food, drink, or eating utensils. " and "The single, most helpful way to prevent the spread of stomach flu is frequent, thorough hand washing. Also, avoid contact with the body fluids of an infected person, including saliva. "

Oh and the reason shaking hands COULD make you get it is because if they have had their fingers near their mout or not washed their hands properly those germs get transferred to you. But as long as you DO wash your hands properly, more than likely you won't get it.Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Ok that's a relief to hear hippychick. I was worried about shaking hands with my therapist cause I can't keep my hands off of my face plus touching gum before putting it in my mouth.

Japa I guess you are right in that I was paranoid about her not telling me she had a stomach bug because in reality it's none of my business in what way she's sick. I don't guess she normally tells her patients what's wrong with her when she's sick cause it's not important.

I think it's kind of weird that my former therapist never once cancelled because of being sick (I saw her for three years). I figured she must come to work even if she's sick or that she's some kind of superhuman who never gets sick. =)

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

I would cancel till next week.....(hope im not being negative)

Well, I would imagine that she could get you to trust you more if she tells you what was wrong with her. But I wonder what stance in general therapists would take about that when treating an emet. To me, it seems like it would be important for you to be told when she has a stomach virus. But I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by tiina

Ok that's a relief to hear hippychick. I was worried about shaking hands with my therapist cause I can't keep my hands off of my face plus touching gum before putting it in my mouth.

Japa I guess you are right in that I was paranoid about her not telling me she had a stomach bug because in reality it's none of my business in what way she's sick. I don't guess she normally tells her patients what's wrong with her when she's sick cause it's not important.

I think it's kind of weird that my former therapist never once cancelled because of being sick (I saw her for three years). I figured she must come to work even if she's sick or that she's some kind of superhuman who never gets sick. =)