Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Struggling to talk to my therapist about emet. Arrrrggghhh.

I've been back to my old therapist about three times now, with the express purpose of starting to treat my emet. And we've talked about *everything but* emet. I just can't do it. Every time he mentions it I change the subject. I can discuss it with him via email but in person I just panic. I can't even mention it. I know him incredibly well (I saw him for two years as a teenager through a charitable trust, but am now paying for sessions myself, which makes me feel like I'm under even more pressure to be productive during the sessions, because it's costing me money!) but I just. can't. talk to him about this.

How do you start talking about this in therapy? It's completely terrifying.

Default Re: Struggling to talk to my therapist about emet. Arrrrggghhh.

Hey. Talking about emet can be very daunting. Something I came across is this site http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/fact-sheet.html. That is an awesome fact sheet, that you can actually print out and give to your therapist. So then they can read through and understand how you are feeling. I felt it was pretty dead on. I hope that it helps you until you find yourself comfortable to talk about it!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Thanks mhartse I have actually done ok at talking to him about it in writing - he is a cognitive analytic therapist which involves, for me at least, keeping a diary in between sessions and I've managed to be really honest and upfront in what I've written there. I just feel like as soon as I start talking about it it's going to be like tempting something bad to happen

Of course. Unfortunately a lot of us think in that "superstitious" kind of way. I hope you can get whats on your mind across to your therapist!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I think I would feel the same as you. I can write my feelings pretty good but I'm terrible at talking about. I want to get therapy but I'm afraid I would just sit there and not know what to say, I'm just so uncomfortable talking about feelings.