Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default On vacation and friend is ill

I'm on vacation with my family and another family. We aren't staying in the same houses but are right be t to each other. On Monday night my friend had clams that she thought tasted bad so she only ate two. By Tuesday morning she had stomach cramps headache terrible d and chills. By Tuesday night she had a high fever, d and v. She spent Wednesday in the hospital where she was diagnosed with food poisoning. While I know food poisoning is not contagious I am still worried that it was a virus and the rest of us will get it. She never washes her hands and we all ate together Tuesday night and I k ow she touched done of the serving utensils that we all touched prior to eating hamburgers and hot dogs with our hands! Needless to say I have been on high alert ever since and it is ruining my vacation. Anyone have any thoughts? The reason I am skeptical of the diagnosis is because her husband had a clam and did not get sick yet she only had two and was terribly ill. Help!!!

Default Re: On vacation and friend is ill

If the hospital said it was FP, then that is what it is. they prob ran tests on her feces or something. They don't throw that diagnosis around loosely. That being said, do the normal handwashing and whatnot. Maybe her husband's clam was fine but her two were bad. I don't eat shellfish (I am kosher) but I know that one can be bad, next one good...it's dicey.

The hospital did blood tests and determined it was food poisoning. The rational side of me says the hospital is right but the irrational emet part remains skeptical because they could not do a stool test as there was nothing of substance to test. Over thinking I know. Ugh. Thanks for the reply. It is much appreciated.

blood tests are pretty much foolproof. seriously, nothing to worry about . nada. zip. zilch. enjoy vacation! have a margarita

I spoke to her today and the actual diagnosis was salmonella. Apparently they figured it out with the stool sample even though there wasn't much to use. Of course my stomach still feels off because my anxiety level is still so high. My son is having his usual IBS issues but of course I'm thinking he's caught something from my friend. Ugh. I hate this worry.

I understand your worry. Life would be so much better without it!

I am sorry about your friend getting so sick with fp on vacation! That is scary. I bet you were definitely worried..I would be too.
    I am a total beach girl, and although, I don't eat seafood..I have a lot of family who eat clams all the time...but you can have just ONE bad one. Just one can ruin everything.
    But glad to know the tests came back and you will not catch anything...hope for a speedy recovery for her.
    Last edited by ren2005; 08-07-2014 at 01:19 PM.

im sure salmonella is contagious, I worked at a bakery with a woman who got it from uncooked chicken on a BBQ, when she came back to work she wasn't allowed to handle food for 6 weeks.

Salmonella is definitely contagious, it can be present in stool for weeks after the illness. A friend of mine had it years ago and was advised by the hospital to bleach her toilet every time she used it (for no.2) once leaving hospital for 6 weeks in order to prevent any family members catching it (they didn't).

wow, I NEVER knew that.