Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Urgent! Co-Worker Sick!

I've been in my office all day, and I just heard my manager saying that a co-worker was sick (apparently he v*d a lot outside yesterday while working with someone else). He went home early but came in today. My boss (who was saying this on the phone) said he claimed he felt better but then he v*d outside again today. I have not really touched my face or anything, but I used out bathroom that he possibly used (yes, we have a unisex bathroom- it's disgusting) and I opened a door to a private conference room. I have my Clorox hand sanitizer and my Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes at my desk but I am still freaking the hell out. I am going to leave soon because I'm so scared.

Am I doomed? I was touching the island in the middle of the office and who knows who touched that?

(My boss was calling it "the flu," but I am hoping and praying that it isn't an sv*. I am going to buy some Dramamine and take a dose of it tomorrow morning and night as a precaution. I don't want to wait and see if I start to feel ill.)
    Last edited by kitbuddy; 07-31-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Default Re: Urgent! Co-Worker Sick!

That sucks that your co worker is ill. That does not mean you are doomed! If he was sick outside, he might not of even went to the bathroom. And dramamine will make you sleepy, so consider that if you want to take it in the morning. I think you will be okay, just keep your hands clean, away from your face. You are doing the right things!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I feel really badly for him. He's new and in training, which is probably why he came in today. And I guess his wife gave him a really hard time for coming home early yesterday. My boss is on vacation and I wish I had just worked from home today...now I'm going to be freaking out. I'm worried about being sick on the weekend too. The only thing on my face I really touched was my chin (I rested my hand on my chin) and my ears (I put headphones in). Is that risky?

Any chance he could actually have just a flu bug? In my experience flu bugs are more respiratory than stomach, but maybe it's different for some people?

The flu = influenza, not stomach bug related. A bug = stomach bug, normally v, or diarrhea. Transmission would be oral, so mouth. I think you will be okay just mind your hands.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I tried to stay calm, but now I'm in freak out/obsessive mode. I can't stop thinking that I touched something that he touched after v*ing (the door? I opened it by just turning the key in the lock, but then I handled my keys before touching my phone, hair and laptop...)

Seriously considering calling my therapist to ask if she will get someone to call in an anti-emetic. She's a PhD and not an MD, so she can't write prescriptions herself.

Having an antiemetic is nice to have on hand, and I'm sure your therapist would be able to help you get that. There are also a lot of over the counter things you can get. Benedryl helps sometimes, theres nausea control stuff too. Even having a kids kind won't hurt!

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

I'm scared to eat or drink, even though I know it's not tonight I need to worry about, it's tomorrow. I stopped by CVS on my way home and picked up some Dramamine, which I figure I'll take tomorrow in the evening (around what I'm guessing is the 36 hour mark) just as a precaution.

My boyfriend, as supportive as he can be, just doesn't understand this phobia. He rarely gets sick, but he has absolutely no issue with v*. He will make himself sick if he thinks he's drank too much. He told me getting sick would be like getting a cold. That made me even MORE anxious.

I know, others just don't understand our fear. But I really think you will be okay. Try to be positive about it :-) YOU WILL BE OKAY! (Remind yourself of that!)

- michelle

Check out my daily blog

I really hope so. I called my parents and they were like, "You're not going to get sick. Deep down, do you really think you will?"

I am approaching the 36 hour mark. I took two Dramamine pills about an hour ago. I don't feel sick, but I want to take precautionary steps so that I don't even feel badly. Hopefully I feel fine and can enjoy the weekend.

Thanks for your support!

Is it really hot? Maybe he is getting sick from the heat? You said, he was new, maybe it could be a mix of anxiety and the heat? I am sure you will be fine.

Sounds like you took all the precautions! You should be fine
    Might not have been a bug or anything. He could have eaten something wrong. I know a friend who is sick for days after eating lots of milk and eggs.
    Could be nerves too. I feel like v*ing when I am nervous! I just seem to be able to control the v*ing.

You'll be fine dear. Honestly!
    Please visit my progress blog:

Wanting to help others. Please spread the word!

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    "To thine self be true, then it must follow, as the night the day, that thou canst not then be false to any man."
    "The empty vessel makes the loudest sound."
    - William Shakespeare