Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all,

Well yesterday I was at my job for the last day (yay I'm glad!) for a new job at JoAnn Fabrics (anyone work there?). Anyways, the gal that came in for the next shift (our shifts overlapped about 3 hours) came in looking horrible, and she said she felt awful and was up since 3am, and through the course of our shifts she ran to the br to v*. I was actually only mildly freaked out, I felt sorry for her more than anything. She said she had to stay because she needed the money. I think its sad that she couldn't go home and rest like she needed to. So, the whole morning she's running off to the br, one time she almost didn't make it (she was trying to run register). Needless to say I am mildly freaked that I will get it. She said it is a virus that her son has had for at least a week, and I know she was sick with like flu (respiratory) a week or 2 ago. Anyways I really don't want to get it of course, I was really careful about nothing going near my mouth and washing my hands and such. I just felt real bad for her more than anything.

That is horrible, one, that the manager allowed her to stay, and two, that she would stay and risk not making it to the restroom. I just think that is so awful and disgusting. People like her are the reason these viruses spread like the plague. Imagine what customers must've thought! She's ringing up someone's stuff as she's trying not to heave all over? Come on!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

I would be nervous too, about catching what she had, but I'm sure you were careful about washing your hands, not touching your face, etc. Good job for not freaking out!

BTW, I love Joanne Fabrics! It's a must on our list of day after Thanksgiving and day after Christmas shopping!!!

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

The Stomach Flu, or bug.. is passed around in the air, so if you are around the person, theres nothing you can do really, but hope to not get it..i know exactly how you feel i get freaked out everytime somebody tells me they have been sick or are feeling sick..i hope you dont get it!!..Knock on wood!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Galadriel--I am going through the same thing right now. I have posted several times under Leigh's post about it. 3 of my 8 co-workers have been sick with sv. I am so scared that I will get it too. I started my emet diet last night and I've been extra careful about handwashing, of course!

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by icicledreamz

The Stomach Flu, or bug.. is passed around in the air, so if you are around the person, theres nothing you can do really, but hope to not get it..i know exactly how you feel i get freaked out everytime somebody tells me they have been sick or are feeling sick..i hope you dont get it!!..Knock on wood!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Thats not true. Stomach flu can only be passed by someone carrying the germs (in their spit, poo etc) if someone didn't wash their hands or wipes their mouth and touches you and you then put what they touched in your mouth thats how it is spread "The virus can be spread by direct contact with an infected person (for example, kissing or shaking hands) or by sharing food, drink, or eating utensils. " and "The single, most helpful way to prevent the spread of stomach flu is frequent, thorough hand washing. Also, avoid contact with the body fluids of an infected person, including saliva. " the virus particles don't just float through the air unless you are talking about Norwalk and even then you have to be right next to the person WHILE THEY V*. Not likely for an emet huh?

Sorry but regular flu is passed in the air stomach flu is not. *breathes*

Other than that I'm sorry for the poor girl who had to work and all the people who hd to work near her. Well done for remaining so calm about it, I know I wouldn't have!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

is that really true that you have to touch people or touch things that they have touched. i wash my hands constantly and i make sure i don't touch soemthing that someone who is ill has touched etc etc but i was always thought I would never be free from the germs in the air. that is really good to hear hippychick!

I've researched it and looked at it and I've not seen any sign that it will be floating in the air, unless they coughspit right at ya LOL The only time I know it does go in the air is with Norwalk. but even then you have to be near someone V*. My mother had Norwalk and I never got it because I didn't go in the bathroom after she V* but I did go in her bedroom to bring her stuff and never got sick.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

really! that is really good to hear! i'm sorry about your mum though, I hope she got well quickly and didn't panic like we would!! it is so good to hear that it doesn't float around in the air!

Quote Originally Posted by willow2

really! that is really good to hear! i'm sorry about your mum though, I hope she got well quickly and didn't panic like we would!! it is so good to hear that it doesn't float around in the air!

Oh no V* to her is no issue at all. Though it did make her exhuasted for about a week after she was very good with bleaching the bathroom. I just did a google search again and anytime I typed in "Stomach Flu" and "Germs in air" it came up with ordinary flu lol I'm glad this has brought you some relief. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I know everyone has their own issues - just like your friend who has bulemia. But I can't help but be jealous of people who don't mind v*!!!

I'm SO jealous of my mother. V* to her is just so natural. She eats something that doesn't agree, feels sick, V*, and gets on with her life and I just wish I could be that calm about it, maybe one day hey? lol

Yikes Hippychick!

I'm glad its not spread through the air. I was very careful to wash my hands and not get anywhere too close to her. I did feel bad for her, because she had to stay to earn the money. Heck I would have paid her to go home! It was odd because the boss didn't seem to care really. I mean he didn't seem sympathetic or anything, just wanted her to get to work. Another reason I'm glad I left! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Definately!! That is not a nice boss!!

I'm v jealous - but your right - one day maybe!! Sparky's post was very inspiring and I hope we can all be more and more positive as time goes by and hope we all over come this!

I was in a shoe store the other day purchasing shoes with my daughter. There were several employees standing around reading the employee rule book together with the manager. I was appalled at the strict attendance rules. It was clear to me that there will be tons of v*** employees working there this winter. By the way, who do they get close to? Small children as they put the shoes on their feet. They are right up in their faces.

I won't be going there any time soon.

Stella

I feel quite lucky really because i work at a restaurant. If we are v*
    or have D* we legally cannot work and if its suspected food poisoning,
    a doctor has to sign us back. Im quite thankfull i dont have to worry
    about v* employees! Although i do have to worry about young kids and
    the all you can eat ice cream, i wonder who was stupid enough to come
    up with that idea?

that;s not only bad for her and her co workers its bad for say CUSTOMERS!!!