Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I Need Advice

Exclamation I Need Advice

Hi,
    Tommorow I have a dentist appointment and I have to get impressions done. I have had a really bad experience that has made me terrified to get impressions done and made my emetophobia even worse. Do you have any tips for getting impressions done so I won't be scared that I am going to get sick or anything? I am being given medicine by the dentist to help (hopefully) make me calmer.
    Thanks,
    Ashley
    Last edited by arosenba; 08-13-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Default Re: I Need Advice

I've gotten loads of impressions done. It's definitely scary, but my trick is to stare at a fixed point until it's done. It keeps your throat calm.

tell them you have a sensitive gag reflex and ask them to use the least amount necessary of the putty. trust me, they don't want you to v. as cycle said, try to zone out and focus in something like a hole in the ceiling or your phone. it goes fast. I count backwards from 100.

I have the absolute worst gag reflex. I gag when they take X-rays of my FRONT teeth. I had to get impressions done for teeth whitening trays, so I went online before and googled ways to not gag. I read that closing your throat with your tongue and breathing through your nose slowly calms the gag reflex and holding your hands in fists tightly around your thumb (so right thumb in right hand) helps. I did both when I got impressions and I didn't gag once. I don't know if it's a placebo or what but it really helped me.

I gag when the do impressions and one of the ladies told me to breath through my nose, it helped a lot

You poor thing I used to hate them! Once got 6 in one appointment, but didn't gag once! Breath through your nose and ask if you can sit up during the impression!