Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone take anti-anxiety meds?

Saw my doctor last week for a routine visit, we talked for the first time about my anxiety and phobia in depth and she asked me "is it something you'd be willing to take medication for?" and I'm not sure what to do. It raises three concerns. A. will the meds make me sick? (granted I have Zofran prescribed to me), B. what are the odds it'll actually help me with the phobia, and C. does it end up screwing up my head forever?

Just wondering if anyone else takes any kind of medication for it and if it actually helps control the phobia and the panic that comes along with it.

Default Re: Anyone take anti-anxiety meds?

While I do not take anything on a regular basis I do have a prescription for xanax that I only take as needed. It works very well for me but my emet is not nearly as bad as most of the people on this forum. I lead a pretty normal life. The only thing I avoid are cruise ships! Too many things could go wrong there. Xanax works well to relieve panicky feelings but cannot be taken regularly long term as it tends to be habit forming and will cease to work therefore causing you to need higher and higher doses to get the same calming affect.

I have recently(ish) started taking citalopram. I previously tried 2 others but had side effects and couldn't get through the initial 2 weeks. Apparently side effects stop after 2 weeks and you start feeling the benefits. Since taking it I have felt a lot less on edge all the time. My daughter has v'ed a couple of times since I've been taking it and I have felt panicky but not as bad as before I started taking it.

Honestly if it is your first time take medication like this they will start you slow. I have been on a slew of medications...and some of them have worked..some haven't. But NONE of them made me sick or nauseous or anything. They do take a little bit to work. I have been on Mirtzapine for over a year and that's why I am able to sleep at night. Xanax is a great medication for emergencies! And I am also on Lexapro...waiting for the effects of that one..if any. But you have to be patient with medications. Like I have taken Zoloft and Klonopin...but those didn't work for me...but work for other people...so that's just my two cents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my close friends are on Lexapro. They love it and neither had any side affects.

I am also on Lexapro and Lorazapam aka Ativan. I also like you worried about side effects and asked the dr to give me something least likely to make me sick. A lot of tines they like to prescribe an anti anxiety anti depressant like Lexapro along with one like Ativan. But try not to be on Ativan for longer than six months because it can be addictive. I have been on and off it since I was 19 and am 39 now. It's also best since it will be a first time to maybe have counseling with it. It won't cure you but will help you relax and cope.

I was prescribed Zoloft a few years ago, and I've been on 100mg for about a year now. I was prescribed it for my anxiety, because of emetophobia, and it didn't make me sick. It's helped me so much... I can't even describe how much better I've been doing these last few years. It takes a few weeks, up to a month, to really show a difference... but it's worth it. And I'm now at a place where I can start coming down on my meds too, which is happening soon.

The only side effects I did have was a little dizziness when I started taking the pills and/or upped my dosage. That's all - no nausea, vomiting, etc.

For short-term I was prescribed Ativan and it helped for the moment, but Zoloft has helped me long-term. Ativan was becoming dangerous for me as I grew dependent on it, and if addicted, it can be a very nasty habit with bad side effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I take Lorazepam, but not on a regular basis. I take Lexapro daily. I was on Paxil for over twenty years, but over the years I gained a lot of weight because it stimulated my appetite. Last spring, I switched to Lexapro and I lost around ten pounds within a few months. As far as I know, I haven't gained it back. My appetite isn't quite as big as it was on Paxil. I also take Phenargen when I'm worried to prevent n and v-ing, but not on a daily basis.

Susan

Hello, I'm new here. I've always been too terrified to take any meds as sickness tends to be listed as a common side effect. It seems like that's not the case for lots of people on here. My boyfriend has also taken lots of different meds for anxiety and depression and has never felt sick on them. It still seems like too big a risk for me though.

I was prescribed Klonopin for my anxiety about a year ago. My anxiety is primarily triggered by my emetephobia. If I feel n* or a little off, my body starts convulsion, my mouth gets dry, and I start shaking. I've been SO PANIC-STRICKEN from the fear of throwing up, that I actually made myself drive heave (which you can imagine, scared the s**t out of me). My prescription is "as needed" and when I start playing the "what if I v*?" game in my head, I pop one of the pills. If anything, they calm my body so I can fall asleep. It's been very helpful for calming the physical symptoms of my anxiety, but it doesn't do anything to help the fear of v*. It's still there. The pill just keeps it from ruining my entire evening.

Maybe I missed it, but what do they want to prescribe you? I take a low dose of Paxil for my anxiety with my emet, and it has helped. I previously had an RX for Xanax, but only have that as needed, which I really don't take do to taking Paxil. it has helped me a lot. Less sleepless nights of "wondering"--the funny thing about taking an SSRI for anxiety tho is that when you feel "sick", you typically may be sick and not really anxious. I went from feeling sick and anxious almost every night to feeling sick and "this may be it" 2-4 times per year-so, it has helped. I still keep a Zofran around tho, just in case.

I've been taking Klonopin regularly since 1999 for anxiety/panic and anxiety caused by emetophobia. If I get anxious, I become too nervous to eat, so it helps me develop an appetite - especially if I have to go to a restaurant or an event involving food. I also talked to a pharmacist about Klonopin having anti-emetic properties.

*Obligatory disclaimer that it's habit-forming, etc. But it can be a life saver.

I've tried a whole range of the SSRIs and also had a prescription for diazepam. None made me nauseated whilst on them but they all gave me other side effects (night terrors, sweats, weight gain, dizziness etc) and I did have some nausea tapering off mirtazapine (you can't just stop taking any of these meds cold turkey). Also, you seriously do need to be careful with the benzos (diazepam, klonopin etc) as they are extremely habit forming and you quickly get used to the original dosage so need to increase it or it stops working. I'm having to taper off a very low dose of diazepam I was taking maybe 3 times a week and I feel hellish. I do think I am particularly sensitive to meds but I think it's important to know what you're potentially getting yourself in to.

I wish I could take something but I'm far to terrified of side effects. V ing seems to be listed as a common side effect for a lot of anti anxiety meds. How have you all managed to take that risk?