Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So.. 6 hours ago I decided to eat some coleslaw when I took my daughter and her friend out to eat at this infamoushot dog placewehavehere. I haven't eaten coleslaw since my sis got violently ill from it 4 years ago, but it sounded good and I was feeling brave. Well, I feel really sick... Like, really, really sick. I've made a couple trips to the bathroom and was stricken with the poops [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] I'm kinda nervous and I'm pissed that I tried to be brave and it backfired. I am wondering how much of this I have talked myself into or if it's actually legitimate. I am burping up coleslaw [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] YUK! Even if I end up being fine, I don't think I will ever eat that stuff again.

And I thought I was safer by not eating a hot dog.. oh man.. i hate this feeling. yuk.

Well, I don't really know the purpose of this post! LOL! I guess I just had to get my worries off my chest before I try to go relax on the couch. Please cross your fingers for me. I don't think I have the energy to deal with this s*** right now.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Wow i've never heard of people getting ill from coleslaw. Isn't is just shredded vegetables with a bit of dressing and spices? I'm not quite sure as to how you can get ill since there's no possible way of food poisoning.

Before i became vegan, whenever i felt sick and bloated after eating something, flat lemonade did the trick for me. You'll be fine though. Be strong![img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]Edited by: danforth

I think you're just nervous. ^^;; Because you're thinking about when your sister got sick right? That happens to me too. I feel brave then later I regret it like "why did I do that??" Dont worry I'm sure you'll be just fine. =]
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I agree with wing. I do that to myself all the time. Even though I think I am being brave by doing it, the fact that I am thinking about it all shows me that I am nervous about it. It's only when I actually eat something without thinking twice about it that I can make it through without having "problems." I'm sur ethe coleslaw was fine. Lots of foods can make you burp. Try some Zantac or something and see if it helps. It usually works wonders for me! As far as the poops go, I have IBS so I deal with that on a fairly regular basis. I have no idea how to help that. I sure wish I did! Feel better!

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling the best, shiva! But I agree with what the others have said - maybe you *have* talked yourself into it? Often if I am doing the 6 hour countdown, Iam almost guarunteed tofeel suddenly n* after the 6 hours is up. I'm sure you can get through it just fine! And plus, you're likening it to what happened to your sister, and that would be enough to freak any emet out. Perhaps exercise will help your digestion, if you have a case of the burps. Take a bit of a walk, if you can, get some fresh air into your lungs, clear your mind, and relax.

Don't be disheartened by this experience, though. Being brave is a way for us to feel good about ourselves, like "Oh my god! I touched a doorhandle in a public loo, and I didn't v* from the germs!"...so hey, even if the coleslaw didn't agree with you this time, just think of the likelihood of it happening next time you eat out somewhere.

Feel better soon, shiva, I'm sure its nothing, and you'll be right as rain soon enough! ^_^

danforth- you can get food poisoning from coleslaw either through it being out too long (it's got a mayo base to it) or from the cabbage not being properly washed.

everyone- i still feel yuk, but this morning as i went to pour myself a bowl of cereal i realized that my milk went bad. last night after we got home from dinner i had a glass of chocolate milk while i was doing my homework. i'm starting to think that was the culprit. i was up most of the night feeling quite sick and nauseated, but chalked it up to a bad case of indigestion. it got to the point that i wanted so bad to just puke and get it over with, but eventually fell asleep. feeling kinda how i would imagine a hangover to be this morning, but got some toast in my tummy and feeling better.

thanks for the advice and taking time out to listen!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Can you really get food poisoning from a vegetable not being washed
    properly? I have never, ever heard of that. I thought the only
    reason we wash fruit &amp; veg is to get rid of the pesticides.

My brother never washes anything he eats, and sometimes, he'll drop
    stuff and then pick it up and eat it anyway, even if it's on the
    street! He's not been sick for years. Our stomachs are really
    robust, and can put up with some serious germs!

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

You HAVE to wash fruits and veg's well because you have no idea who's handled them. It's more than just pesticides. You have no idea how clean the hands were of the people who picked the veg's in the first place. Most of the farms where the veg's are grown are picked by people who dont have time to leave and go to the bathroom, so they just go there, in the field. People who have touched there own wasted products are touching the fruit and veg's you put into your mouth. I wash everthing with soap and water. As long as you rinse well, you will be fine.

I'm glad you are feeling better shiva.
    &lt;a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

Think about it... What is fertilizer made of??? Not to mention soil run off carries lots of bacteria, the soil itself (especially after rain) has e.coli in it. It's sick, but they are sooo good for you! LOL!
    \"This too shall pass\"

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//-->

Well, you live and learn. I've always rinsed, but never used soap
    on my vegetables. So many people I know will only throw the
    veggies under a cold tap (for like 2 seconds!) and I swear, I've never
    heard of food poisoning, or e.coli or *anything* from not washing fruit
    &amp; veg properly. I think if I took EVERY precaution I knew
    of, I'd be a paranoid wreck. A little bacteria is good for you;
    at any rate, it builds up your immune system.

Afterthought: soil has e.coli in it?!! I would play in the earth in the
    field behind my house as a child, stuff the worms and all sorts in my
    gob! Soooo glad I wasn't an emet as a wee kid...

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//-->

Edited by: raindro&#112;

shiva i am so glad you figured that out yourself. you drank milk
    without checking the date??? wow, that is brave just kidding. that
    actually happened to my dad - he had d* for a day or so, but was fine
    after that. i hope you are okay now, and it wasnt the coleslaw!!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

raindrop,

luckily we were able to get through our childhoods without being this neurotic! imagine how we would feel now had we not had the opportunity to play in dirt as kids!!!

you also make a good point about the exposure to bacteria in small doeses helping to build our immune systems.

my fiance never washes fruits or vegetables and in the 4 years he's lived with me he's not been sick from it. but you do hear of those cases like recently, the dole bagged salads were recalled and yaddayadda.

anyway.. i got this grusome information off of the internet for anyone interested. all i have to say is YUK! but, it is interesting and informative.

http://www.moldlab.com/sewage_screen.htm

Where can you find E. coli?

E. coli, as stated above, normally exists as a bacteria that lives in the intestines of mammals where it aids in digestion. It is when this bacteria is located in the environment that there is cause for concern. The only time that E. coli would be located in the environment would be through fecal contamination. Fecal matter can get into the environment through a variety of ways. Some of these being leaking sewage lines or septic tanks, raw sewage overflow, or partially treated wastewater. During rainfall, these bacteria and other pathogens can further infiltrate the environment by runoff into creeks, streams, lakes, or other natural recreational waters. Fecal accidents in pools can introduce the bacteria to swimmers. This regularly happens in pools with toddler aged children who have accidents or by fecal matter on the body that gets washed off into the water. Improperly chlorinated pools can allow for the introduction of not only E. coli, but many other harmful bacteria. Public pools with multiple bathers can be a major source of bacterial contamination. Sewage contamination in or around houses or other buildings is also a major source of environmental E. coli and other pathogens. It can seep into carpet, contaminate groundwater, or be tracked into other areas by foot traffic. Contaminated food products, a common source of the bacteria, also are a result of fecal contamination. This mostly occurs during processing at meat plants or from fruits and vegetables grown in human waste fertilizers. These food products can contaminate kitchen utensils, countertops, etc... which can also serve as a source of infection.

How do you get an E. coli infection?

Humans become infected with E. coli by inhalation, ingestion or through open wounds. Swimming in contaminated pools or other recreational waters is another source of E. coli infection, usually by swallowing the water. It can be contracted by drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated food. Infections from the well known strain E. coli O157:H7 usually result from contaminated ground meat. Sewage leaks or floods create a bacteria rich environment allowing for increased risk of infection. If a house has been incurred a sewage leak, then just one person with pathogens on his hands could spread the these to the rest of his family. The main means of infection being hand to mouth and person to person.

bexcelica,

unfortunately the milk was not expired. it's use by date was today, though andwe had it openfor a while. quite the learning experience, i'll tell ya that much. i hope i eat coleslaw again, though. it was good. (except the burping part)

\"This too shall pass\"

eughh, e.coli is evil!

"fruits and vegetables grown in human waste fertilizers"..... [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img]human waste.....? That just sounds gross...god, I'm gonna be careful with fruit n veg from now on, give a bit more thought as to where its actually come from.

Glad you're feeling better shiva! Got over another emet hurdle!

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//-->
    Glad you're feeling better too, shiva, and thanks for the info.

I consider myself educated now... *bleurgh* [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

make your won coleslaw its very good fro u sans the mayo