Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Freaking out (On top of a bad day.)

Completely new to this site, but I've been browsing for a long time now. I usually do okay with my phobia, but this is one I just can't shake off.

I ended up quitting my job today (for health reasons ironically), and as I'm talking to my boss, she mentions the fact that a sv* has been sweeping through our work as of last week, and she herself wasn't feeling too well. I literally almost jumped off my seat right then and there and ran to my car!

Seeing as the majority of the employees haven't been doing too great, and I talked to my boss and touched a few doors and what have you at work, am I at any risk for picking this up myself? I never eat with my hands, and I'm constantly washing them anyways. Except now I'm doing it about twice as much. I'm literally afraid to eat anything right now, and it's been about an hour and a half since I left work.

What do you guys think? Am I doomed?

Default Re: Freaking out (On top of a bad day.)

Welcome! And I think you're fine. As long as you didn't touch a doorknob and then right away stick your hands in your mouth, your chances of catching it are super low. I would try to not worry about it, especially since it sounds like you haven't even been exposed to vomit. Go ahead and eat something light, like crackers or something, since it'l make you feel better. Also, I think you should try to get your mind off of work and stress with a book, TV show, movie, etc. Whatever you like. You'll be fine

Default Re: Freaking out (On top of a bad day.)

You're a saint. Just this message alone took a bit of my anxiety away.