Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My Fear..

Default My Fear..

Hello, My name is Morgan and I believe I have emetophiobia... It has gotten to the point where i get chest pains from thinking about it. Can't focus in school. I get scared I might get the stomach flu but i have not gotten it in 5 years and I wanna keep it that way. I go to a counselor for anxiety from it I told him I have it and he looked at me very strange. Like I was messed up... I can't help it though.. I have questions for you guys and gals. How do you avoid it? What steps do you take in trying to avoid throwing up ( the flu). How often do ppl get it? I read somewhere a guy got it twice in 17 years. Is that different from everyone? Thank you guys!

Default Re: My Fear..

everyone is different. some people v and it isn't from a sv. others only v from the sv. some people don't v for decades. a few people on here have gone 20+ years. part of it is genetics and exposure. most of it is hygeine related (ie washing hands, keeping fingers out of eyes and mouth, avoiding dicey eating places). many therapists don't understand what emetophobia is. I have had to explain to many what it actually means but I have been lucky that most understand that it is really just another phobia, similar to many others. same type of fear, same reactions, same irrationality.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    everyone is different. some people v and it isn't from a sv. others only v from the sv. some people don't v for decades. a few people on here have gone 20+ years. part of it is genetics and exposure. most of it is hygeine related (ie washing hands, keeping fingers out of eyes and mouth, avoiding dicey eating places). many therapists don't understand what emetophobia is. I have had to explain to many what it actually means but I have been lucky that most understand that it is really just another phobia, similar to many others. same type of fear, same reactions, same irrationality.
    What does it have to do with genetics? I never knew that. I just wanna overcome this fear and get it out of my life... I get sooo depressed and i can't help it! I wanna avoid getting it and overcome this fear

studies have shown that some blood types are less likely to get Noro, for example. so in a household that may limit exposure.

http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/fact-sheet.html

That is a good fact sheet to give to therapists, family members, etc… so they can get some knowledge on the subject when things are hard for you to explain.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.