Hi everyone!

Haven't been here in a while, and I just did a keyword search for antibiotics. Saw some old threads but I figured this issue is always relevant so I thought I'd start a new one!

I developed a UTI a couple of weeks ago. I tried to get rid of it on my own with gallons of water and pure cranberry juice. I did not dilute the cranberry juice and it gave me diarrhea. My stomach was rumbling - it was a bit unsettling but I didn't feel ill. My hypochondria that I would die from a kidney infection got the best of me and I went to the doctor. I realized the only reason I wanted to avoid the doctor was because I didn't want to have to go on an antibiotic. I figured I'd be prescribed Cipro or some other hardcore drug that would give me complete anxiety and I probably would not end up taking it. I ended up asking the doctor if I could take Amoxicillin because I have taken it my whole life with no problem and recently took it for tonsillitis. She seemed a bit hesitant, saying that the strain bacteria might not be killed by Amoxicillin (I didn't get the urine results back yet), but she gave it to me.

The good news is, I've been taking it without a problem. The bad news is, I still feel sore down below and something is definitely not right. I realized that my main concern is not really the UTI, but having to take drugs that will make me nauseous or sick. My real fear is not a kidney infection, but the nausea or sickness that comes with it. I really wish I could just have an IV of antibiotics or injections so it could bypass my stomach, but I'm pretty sure they only do that in emergency situations in a hospital. I feel like an idiot taking this relic of an antibiotic like it's 1965...maybe it's not working. Oh, and I've been obsessive compulsively googling UTI/antibiotic stories and side effects and it's been making me feel worse. Not only for emetophobic reasons, but some of the other side effects are ridiculously scary as well!

I'd like to hear about how you guys have dealt with UTIs, antibiotics...or even just antibiotics in general. It gives me so much anxiety, I don't think a doctor would understand why I just CAN'T deal with this. To make matters worse, I'm pretty much on my own so if I did develop a terrible reaction, I would have no one to comfort me or help me. I live across the country from family. I have a roommate, but she's a weirdo and not a very caring person. There is a guy I'm seeing, but not to the comfort level where he would understand this or come over and pet me or something. He'd probably think I was a total loon. I have visions of having to call an ambulance for myself or having to drive to the ER, which is another terrible fear of mine. I'd actually feel a lot better taking antibiotics if I were in a hospital with help nearby (maybe strapped to the bed too, hahaha).

Thanks in advance for sharing and let me know if you can relate to any of this.