Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Good poisoning chance?

I've heard that eating leftover rice can cause food poisoning if not cooked properly. I made some chicken and rice casserole and added ice to it after it say out for 20 mins and I that it would cool quickly and then I put it in the fridge. I took it out later to heat some up for my friend and it sat out for another 20 minutes. I put it back in the fridge and I just ate some. So all in all it sat out probably an hour or less. I'm worried it's going to make me sick though. My stomach is hurting but I don't know if it's my anxiety or the rice. Please give me some advice.

Default Re: Good poisoning chance?

Most likely anxiety. My boyfriend will happily eat 3 day old rice that's been left out the fridge and he's never sick. Obviously I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing that, but I reckon you have nothing to worry about.

Oh and mints or ginger for your stomach. Try to relax and distract yourself and your stomach will settle I'm sure.

Rice sitting out for an hour is absolutely nothing to worry about. Most food safety sources say that food can be left out for about two hours before it reaches the "danger zone" (for bacteria growth), or about an hour if the room temperature is over 80 degrees. So you should be fine. White rice is actually pretty gentle on your stomach because it's not very fibrous so it digests more easily.

Thanks guys. I've just started feeling really nauseous although I don't think it would be due to the rice since I ate that over 5 hours ago. This nausea is awful though.

I often eat rice for dinner that I had for lunch that day. I didn't know that's not safe..
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."