Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Going to India for 6 months and need any and all advice on how to avoid v* please!

I have had emetophobia for as long as I can remember, but I am determined not to let it keep me from traveling and experiencing the world, which is why at the end of this month I will be leaving for a 6 month backpacking trip with my boyfriend. We are going to India, Nepal, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan, and possibly Turkey as well. Given the length of time I will be gone and the variety of developing countries I am going to, everyone I talk to seems to think it is inevitable that I will get stomach problems, especially in India which is notorious for food poisoning and is also where I will be spending the majority of the 6 months. In addition to the sketchy food and water I will be faced with, I will also be flying all the way to India alone (my boyfriend is already abroad and will be meeting me there) which includes a 13 hour flight, and my emet is so much worse when I am in confined spaces, particularly crowded planes and buses.

Even though I am doing this trip in part to overcome my fears, I am still terrified of v* and would hate to break my 12 year v*-free streak. I have done a lot of research and will be bringing with me activated charcoal, ginger capsules, peppermint essential oil, dramamine/bonine, and my doctor was even nice enough to write me a prescription for 10 Zofran and some antibiotics in case things get really bad.

What I want to know is:
    - Has anyone else traveled to India or any of these other countries and NOT gotten sick with v*? And if so, how did you keep your stomach healthy?
    - Does anyone know of any other remedies that I should bring along to fight off food poisoning and keep my digestion in prime condition?
    - Some of my worst n* is caused by a vicious cycle of a mild stomach ache that brings on anxiety about getting sick which in turn causes more n*. What are some relaxation and calming techniques that you use to calm yourself down if you do start feeling n*?

Really any advice on how to avoid v* in a developing country and how to avoid anxiety attacks if mild tummy upsets do happen would be AWESOME. I leave in less than 20 days and it's official, I'm finally freaking out!

Default Re: Going to India for 6 months and need any and all advice on how to avoid v* please

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I have had emetophobia for as long as I can remember, but I am determined not to let it keep me from traveling and experiencing the world, which is why at the end of this month I will be leaving for a 6 month backpacking trip with my boyfriend. We are going to India, Nepal, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan, and possibly Turkey as well. Given the length of time I will be gone and the variety of developing countries I am going to, everyone I talk to seems to think it is inevitable that I will get stomach problems, especially in India which is notorious for food poisoning and is also where I will be spending the majority of the 6 months. In addition to the sketchy food and water I will be faced with, I will also be flying all the way to India alone (my boyfriend is already abroad and will be meeting me there) which includes a 13 hour flight, and my emet is so much worse when I am in confined spaces, particularly crowded planes and buses.

Even though I am doing this trip in part to overcome my fears, I am still terrified of v* and would hate to break my 12 year v*-free streak. I have done a lot of research and will be bringing with me activated charcoal, ginger capsules, peppermint essential oil, dramamine/bonine, and my doctor was even nice enough to write me a prescription for 10 Zofran and some antibiotics in case things get really bad.

What I want to know is:
    - Has anyone else traveled to India or any of these other countries and NOT gotten sick with v*? And if so, how did you keep your stomach healthy?
    - Does anyone know of any other remedies that I should bring along to fight off food poisoning and keep my digestion in prime condition?
    - Some of my worst n* is caused by a vicious cycle of a mild stomach ache that brings on anxiety about getting sick which in turn causes more n*. What are some relaxation and calming techniques that you use to calm yourself down if you do start feeling n*?

Really any advice on how to avoid v* in a developing country and how to avoid anxiety attacks if mild tummy upsets do happen would be AWESOME. I leave in less than 20 days and it's official, I'm finally freaking out!

hey I've been to goa for a week. I was not sick. I was a child so was not the conscious about hygiene etc... None of my family got ill. You will be fine xxx

Default Re: Going to India for 6 months and need any and all advice on how to avoid v* please

I went to Africa for 10 days I made sure to take some anti-back gel I chose purell I also made sure that I was drinking only cooled boiled water I had already taken two bottles with me and filled one at the airport in England. I also made sure that I was just careful however I decided it was more important I enjoyed myself so I wasn't overly overly cautious I watched what I ate no salads or dairy products and ate rice or meat less foods and fruit you had to peel. I took cup a soups that meant even if I didn't eat I had a safe food I could fall back on. I was travelling with a bunch of guys who didn't really use hand gel other than when They were at the toilet also they ate everything and were not really bothered (non are emets) and they were fine they didn't get sick at all nor did they have d* where as I did have some d* and felt a little iffy I was never sick no. Of the 10 I travelled with v* it's an amazing experience to have you'll get so many memories don't let this I emet stop you. Eeee I'm,so excited for yOu x x x

I drink only bottled water, watch out for ice cubes, and just choose foods your comfortable with. It was great of your dr to give you some zofran. Enjoy your trip!

I traveled a lot this year, I went to india and the Middle East and I never got sick. In India I was very cautious, I made sure to only use bottled water even when brushing my teeth (and I was in a nice hotel too), I brougjt with me some foods like packets of peanut butter, granola bars, any foods that tou can think of that you can travel with take! I did try everything but I made sure not to eat a lot. I was just very careful and my boyfriend on the other hand was not. He brushed his teeth with tap water, he ate aboaultely everything and I ate a lot of it and he eventually got sick. I can't believe that I traveled the way I did this past year and didn get sick and like you I didn't want my life to be defined by my phobia, you got this and you're going to do great and have such an amazing experience. Enjoy! And good luck'