Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Irrational Fears - Please Help!

Hi all!

So, this is my first time on this site, and I must say, it's a very informative any helpful site. Kudos to everyone on here!

About one week every month (about 2 weeks after Aunt Flo, but I don't think it's relate), every night I am overwhelmed with the fear that I am going to v*. My head starts to pound, my throat closes, and my stomach cramps up and aches terribly. I have never actually hurled after feeling like this - I just lay down and put a heating pad on my stomach, but this is getting to the point of ridiculousness. Just for a few hours every day (always at night), I can't eat, and I'm afraid to sleep for fear of v*ing in my sleep.

Is this a normal emetophobe's reaction? What can I do to ease the terror?

Thanks in advance! Just knowing that there are people who feel as I do is so comforting!!!

Default Re: Irrational Fears - Please Help!

I'm new to this site too! and I also have the same problems with you, atleast 3 to 4 days out of the week I freak out that I'm gonna v* or get food poisoning from something I eat. I even have been freaking out tonight cuz my stomach has been seriously upset. It gets really annoying and I am sick of having panic attacks.

I usually just jug some Pepto Bismol

I hope you and I both can get help, I also hope this site has some answers for us.

Hi BaileyBoo!

Yes, I also hope that an experienced member/emetophobe can help us both.

Thanks for the support, and I hope you find the help you need.

Blessings,
    DogLover

I completely understand, I used to wake up in complete panic with those same reactions, especially if I wasn't in my own bed. Like if I stayed in my boyfriend's house, the fear was made worse by the embarrassment of potentially being sick in front of him. It doesn't happen me any more, because I started to fight it a bit. Like I used to wake up in a panic and hide in the bathroom for ages until I eventually calmed down and felt better, so after a while made myself leave the bathroom after a shorter time even if I wasn't 100% calm. then I worked down to just going for a walk around the bedroom to calm down, and not going to the bathroom, to just sitting up in the bed and putting a plastic bin beside the bed 'just in case' to lying in bed with the bin, to no bin at all! It's kind of like training yourself out of thinking like that, and it's not easy so give yourself time to do it, in small steps! It also helps to not be overstimulated before bed (no TV or Internet) because your mind is too active and you don't sleep as well. Also, try not to eat in the few hours before bed, might give you indigestion, which seems a lot worse when you've only just woken up in a panic! There's a good free app, I think it's called headspace or something, that does 10 minute meditations, I'm not really one for meditating but the mans voice is calming so it helped me sleep! :P there is no quick fix, but remember you can do it, this isn't forever! sorry for the long post

Yes, being afraid your going to wake up v* is a normal emet thing. You'll find a lot of people on here have that same fear