Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Purell Advanced Kills Noro

I recently saw Purell "Advanced" - It says on the label that it kills Norovirus, E Coli, and Staph, in addition to what regular hand sanitizer kills. Just thought I'd share.

Default Re: Purell Advanced Kills Noro

Nice. I also get these little bottles of clorox spray hand sanitizer. they work good too.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I saw on here that Purell Advanced kills Noro last year and I did a lot of Internet research. I'm not saying either is right or wrong but what I read is that the company that makes Purell Advanced used Murine Norovirus (Mice Norovirus) for testing when the closest relative to the Norovirus we all dread is Feline Calicivirus (Cat virus). I have no clue if there are any differences between the two but I just thought I would post some of the info I know about it before we drop everything and buy cases of ineffective hand sanitizer, haha!

I have purell advanced but I also just ordered germstar noro, to be sure.
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    I saw on here that Purell Advanced kills Noro last year and I did a lot of Internet research. I'm not saying either is right or wrong but what I read is that the company that makes Purell Advanced used Murine Norovirus (Mice Norovirus) for testing when the closest relative to the Norovirus we all dread is Feline Calicivirus (Cat virus). I have no clue if there are any differences between the two but I just thought I would post some of the info I know about it before we drop everything and buy cases of ineffective hand sanitizer, haha!
    I try not to over-think things like this otherwise my anxiety and fear would drive me to slash my wrists - seriously. For me, it was just nice to have something that says on the label it kills noro to have in my "emetophobia survival kit." If it didn't kill "human" noro, it would be false advertising and therefore illegal because nobody buys hand sanitizer to use on mice. (or cats).

I recently ordered Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes from Amazon. They're the same wipes used in hospitals and facilities and get rid of a whole SLEW of viruses and bacteria, including Noro. They have a very industrial smell that somehow comforts me because I'm like, "Yes, this is heavy duty!" I also use the Clorox non-bleach hand sanitizer because it says it kills Noro, too. Also, Lysol Brand II or III kills Noro.

http://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Healthc...peroxide+wipes

Quote Originally Posted by lemontree View Post
    I try not to over-think things like this otherwise my anxiety and fear would drive me to slash my wrists - seriously. For me, it was just nice to have something that says on the label it kills noro to have in my "emetophobia survival kit." If it didn't kill "human" noro, it would be false advertising and therefore illegal because nobody buys hand sanitizer to use on mice. (or cats).
    Actually they can't really test it on human noro so they do use the feline one because it's the closest to the human strain. If you look on Lysol bottles it does specify that it is the feline one.

Wonder where you can buy it?
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Where did you get germstar from, Maddie? I want to order some.

Quote Originally Posted by NicManri View Post
    Actually they can't really test it on human noro so they do use the feline one because it's the closest to the human strain. If you look on Lysol bottles it does specify that it is the feline one.
    This was exactly what I was going to say. I've read that the Norovirus we all fear is extremely difficult to 'grow' in a lab, so they use the closest virus, which is that cat one. I also called purell yesterday to ask them and the woman I spoke to said they don't have information on whether or not it does kill Noro. The woman even said "Norovirus? I've never heard of that one." She then was looking through a book or something for a very long time and said "although Purell kills 99% of germs on contact, we can't make claims that it kills viruses including cold of flu viruses." I was surprised because isn't that what they claim? Ill stick to my Zylast. I feel like the Purell company is kind of shady.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybird View Post
    Where did you get germstar from, Maddie? I want to order some.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Germstar-Nor...=germstar+noro I got this.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Yep^^^^
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah A. View Post
    Wonder where you can buy it?
    Any major pharmacy should carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by NicManri View Post
    Yes but my point is that for them to be able to sell it with that claim on the label, there must be some reliable scientific evidence that it does kill the human strain, otherwise to sell a product that nobody (sane lol) is buying for cats would be illegal because of advertising laws.

I personally believe that the best thing is still washing hands with good old soap and water. BUT having a small bottle of Purell that kills noro on me when I'm out and about and not able to get to soap and water makes me feel safer. So, I just thought I'd share that this product is now available. If you don't want to buy it, don't. I have no affiliation with the company lol.

Awesome! I'd still wash with soap and water whenever possible just to be safe. But it's good to find products that kill the evil virus that's so hardy. I'd love to see a list of hygiene/cleaning products that kill noro.

Purell only kills bacteria, tho. Most stomach bugs (noro) are caused by viruses. It sounds hard to believe, but the best way to kill the viruses is with good hand washing with warm water. You're supposed to wash them with soap the length of time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" in your head. I always have Purell with me, too. I'll have to check out the advanced kind now, tho. Maybe the formula is different. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspie Grrrl View Post
    Awesome! I'd still wash with soap and water whenever possible just to be safe. But it's good to find products that kill the evil virus that's so hardy. I'd love to see a list of hygiene/cleaning products that kill noro.
    http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Hom...ch-flu-viruses
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

I looked through the web site for Purell Advanced and don't see that it kills noro. It does not contain the active ingredient in GermStar. All Purell Advanced is different from regular Purell is that it is 70% alcohol and regular is 62%.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I looked through the web site for Purell Advanced and don't see that it kills noro. It does not contain the active ingredient in GermStar. All Purell Advanced is different from regular Purell is that it is 70% alcohol and regular is 62%.
    So explain to me why it can legally claim on the front label that it specifically kills norovirus, ecoli, and staph? False advertising is illegal where I live, I don't know about where you live.

I don't see where it says on the web site anything about those diseases. I did not find the product. I only read the web site.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see