Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

What do you all think of exposure therapy? I'm sure this has been widely touched on, and being new here, I'm not sure where to find the discussion. Anyway, have you all gone to www.ratemyvomit.com? It's disgusting!! I can't go there. It makes me sick just to think about it. I keep hearing that steps of exposure therapy is helpful. Hmmmm, somehow, I'm just grossed out by the thought. As well, Hear that Emets brag about the last time they vomited. I am proud to say that i haven't puked since 1992. I've had 2 kids, not one single bout with morning sickness, although it was a HUGE fear of mine. I may have supressed it by being so stinkin anxiety ridden about it. Just wondering....

Kc

go to the treatments forum, you'll find lots of info about exposure therapy there. I haven't vomited since 2002, and that was self-induced, trying to rid myself of the phobia. Obviously, I'm still here, so it didn't work. Do not try this at home. lol
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

My fear isn't so much self-induced vomiting once or twice when I'm "in
    the mood to do something crazy".... My fear is of being sick and stuck
    in the bathroom for days or even hours and not being able to leave,
    work, eat, or anything.

I did have an episode the summer before last where, thankfully it was
    only D*, but it was pure torture. I had to be at the toilet every 5-10
    minutes and it was painful. It was very expensive too because I wasn't
    able to work. It lasted over 7 days!!!! Although towards the end I was
    able to leave and go to the store to get more gatorade and saltine
    crackers.

Let me tell you, there's a good reason why I fear being sick like that
    because it's really torture and unlike other illnesses, you can't do
    anything. You can't even get through a TV show unless you have a TV in
    the bathroom.

So if anything, that only refreshed and strengthed my phobia which I
    view as a very big effort not to get sick. Because being out from work
    can really be a big financial blow.

Yes, vomit is disgusting. That's what we are supposed to think! But, oh no, we have to think that somehow it is dangerous! If the disgusting nature of exposure therapy was our only problem, then we would be in much better shape!

www.ratemyvomit.com is extraordinarily graphic and NOT for those just beginning exposure therapy. I'm about 2 months in, and my husband has to screen pictures to get ones that I can handle. For example, right now he looks for ones that would generally evoke an anxiety level of 5 or 6 out of 10. He prints them and I take them my therapist for exposure. When looking at a particularly difficult picture I will call out "Ew! Gross!" when I feel anxious.Exposure therapyIS helpful and I have already achieved a few steps in my hierarchy of recovery. Lately, I am even feeling like the flood gates are going to open as I feel braver. I have even started to BELIEVE that I will be helped!

The first time I tried to look at a picture, I cried and I had anxiety for 2 hours after. Now, I do get the initial startled reaction, but I recover from the initial panic in less than 10 seconds. I am starting to feel that ANYTHING is possible.

Try it anything is better than living with this. Keep fighting!

Happyteacher

Happyteacher,

I am so happy for you for your accomplishments, yet I am so jealous too. I wish I could get a grip with exposure therapy, it bothers me a lot to even look at the pictures that have no vomit in them. I just wanted to congratulate you on working so hard to conquer this thing. Just keep believing in yourself and you will get past this. Great Job!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Shiva,

Keepp on trying, don't let this thing beat you! Start slow, with the stick man. You can do it! If I did it, so can you! I know how horrible it is, believe me, but you have to keep trying. I have been in therapy since January and it has taken me this long to even trust and believe I will get better. It takes time.

It will bother you, but keep trying, it gets better. I have so far to go, but it is starting to happen!

happyteacher

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by happyteacher

Shiva,

Keepp on trying, don't let this thing beat you! Start slow, with the stick man. You can do it! If I did it, so can you! I know how horrible it is, believe me, but you have to keep trying. I have been in therapy since January and it has taken me this long to even trust and believe I will get better. It takes time.

It will bother you, but keep trying, it gets better. I have so far to go, but it is starting to happen!

happyteacher